Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want something that I can get at the local walmart or auto parts store, all 3 of my vehicles are black, I was want something for shine and protection, what do you think of meguires gold class? what about black magic or zymolie? paste or liquid? thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
I use Kit Carnuba wax. I've tried several kinds and it stays on and looks best the longest of the ones I've tried.. Every couple years on my cars I wash them down with dishwashing soap instead of regular car soap to strip it and start new before applying new wax.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zymol is that a long lasting wax? meguires gold? I hate when you wax a car and in a week it does not feel or look like it has been done in a while. Eage one was like that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
black magic has a petroleum of some sort in it does that effect how long it last?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Consumers' Report

I suggest you checkout Consumers' Report (their site might have something). They did an extensive review less than a year ago, and I know there were some that were grittier than others, which is a MAJOR factor with a dark colored car like yours.

If I recall correctly, Zymol was one of the better ones for dark cars, but don't hold me to it. It's what my wife uses on her midnight blue TA, and it is beautiful when completely clean.

I'd lookup the review myself and boild down the results if I was at home, but am traveling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
what do I use?

Mind you opinions are like .. well you know the rest..
I use maguires on my car and my bike.. I have a white car and a silver bike.. they both stand up pretty well.. the bike gets another coat ever week or so.. and once a year I use dishwashing detergent (usually over the winter) and start again.. wash and wax... the car usually only gets 2 or 3 a year, but it's a 94 and still looks new.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
BLACK Z said:
I want something that I can get at the local walmart or auto parts store, all 3 of my vehicles are black, I was want something for shine and protection, what do you think of meguires gold class? what about black magic or zymolie? paste or liquid? thanks
Here is the straight poop on wax. You said you want something that is available at Wal Mart or an auto parts store, that is good information to know.

If you can find Meguire's Number 26 wax (I think they are labeling it as: "High Tech Yellow Wax", but it says "No. 26" under the name somewhere), that is the ONLY wax Mequire's sells that has a formulation that lets the paint breathe. It means if your paint is new or at least not real old, you might want this wax. I use the paste version of the wax but you are more likely to find the liquid version on most shelves.

I have since started using 3M products. Why? Because they make the best paint finishing compounds available for paint refinishing or new paint finishing. More professional paint people buy their compounds for finishing new paint than any other, at least where I live. I like their wax and their gloss enhancer and their plastic cleaner and the plastic polish. NAPA stores USED to sell their product line, but now you are lucky to find one or two items from 3M as far as car paint care products in a NAPA store. However, don't despair, you can buy their consumer products (other than paint finishing stuff) on the 3M website, and they are priced right.

Zymol has a good product line, but I just don't use their stuff.

Another product you can buy at many stores like Wal Mart is Turtle Wax in the green bottle. I know it sounds corny to some, but if you need to clean off road tar or other crud from your paint and you don't want to ruin the finish, this product is the best choice. I have used this product on every car I have ever owned, no Sh*t, and it cleans and shines, and also works great on aluminum wheels. I just would not use it to wax the whole car if you have something that is not such a "cleaner" type wax to use.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Definitely either 3M or Meguiar's. Both are top notch heads above the rest.. If you go Meguiar's Gold, which is what I use, you should go ahead and get the whole Deep Crystal(tm) system that goes with it. DAMN BRO! You will be happy. Basically it has a special shine polish you put on UNDER the wax, then wax it, and it looks f**kin' class, or should I say, like glass. Then what's best of all, is you use their special Quick Detailer spray once a week, without having to wax, and it immediately restores the just waxed look without the g'damn fuss. Only have to wax once a month that way. Damn I am totally brand loyal to Meguiar's and I'm the kind of guy who laughs at the concept of brand loyalty, but there you have it. And while I'm on the subject, DAMN BRO, you should get Meguiar's Clear Plastic Cleanser and Clear Plastic Polish. DAMN BRO!!!! A scratchy boring looking windscreen suddenly looks brand spankin' NEW after that! HOLY SH*T! If you aren't using Meguiar's you are SO losing out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used black magic before. It's good for just a quick wax to get rid of those pesky hair-lines.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the Mother's Carnuba Gold. It's a solid wax that seems to last and protect better than anything else I've tried. It's good to use if you've got a polished frame too... it helps prolong the shine and slow any tarnishing, so you don't have to re-polish it as often.

:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
i have to be honest with you, 3m, mequiars, ect are all good in thier own way, but the best overall stuff is called....liquid luster, and i cant find it anywhere, i bought 2 bottles of it at the auto show in detroit last year, it was what all the top automakers were using to buff out thier vehicles before the show, and it went for 29.00 a bottle, all i can tell you about it is it comes in a clear bottle, and the wax is pink inside, the bottle has red writing on it. now thats what i used till i ran out, i used it on my boat hull, cars, bike, whatever i could find, now im out im looking for a competitor to it, i know they will all shine, but i havent found one yet that shines and last as long, plus that stuff when it got dirty, all you had to do was wipe it with a clean towel, and it looked liked you just washed your vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NUfinish in the orange bottle. Always at the top of comnsumer reports, cheap, and does a great job. I use it on my black Camaro. Awesome shine :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I myself use either mothers....zymole....or the cheap nufinish stuff in the orange bottle. All work good to get things off and remove any oxidized stuff. If I don't plan on waxing for a while I will only go with mothers products. I have also found that the eagle one (I think thats what I have...red bottle) wax as you dry stuff works really nice after a wash in the case you don't have time to wax.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok kids, let's put this one to rest, here's the real deal! I'm 59 and about as anal with my vehicles as any guy around! I'll bet $$$ that my '02 Mustang GT and my '03 1K Gixxer outshines any vehicle out there! No BS!!
Sooooo, what have I come to love over the years??? I've tried them all!! Go to your Walmart and buy the paste form in the maroon can........Meguairs 'clear coat safe' wax! It works and it lasts!! Period!! Try it, you won't be disappointed!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
nvgixxer said:
Ok kids, let's put this one to rest, here's the real deal! I'm 59 and about as anal with my vehicles as any guy around! I'll bet $$$ that my '02 Mustang GT and my '03 1K Gixxer outshines any vehicle out there! No BS!!
Sooooo, what have I come to love over the years??? I've tried them all!! Go to your Walmart and buy the paste form in the maroon can........Meguairs 'clear coat safe' wax! It works and it lasts!! Period!! Try it, you won't be disappointed!!
Have you ever tried that cleaner wax they put out? Just curious if it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is probably not the most commonly available, might have to go internet, but Zaino is a product that I have never heard a bad thing about. It last forever and everyone raves about it. On the expensive(not as bad as real Zymol though) side and have to go internet but great. They were raving about it on www.350z.com and an s2000 board and an evolution board and lots of other places.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

It is kind of hard to use in that you have to follow the directions but the results are amazing.

On a side note I have also used a wax called p21s which I thought was really good. I would really recomend the 3m stuff of all the kinds that were mentioned so far, and really avoid the nufinish stuff. All of my recomendations are really based on a car but I dont see why you couldnt use this stuff on a bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Megs is good yes, but can be a royal pain in the ass to work with if not careful. #26 has great features and long durability. Zymol has good durability as well, but I have found doesnt work as well. Honestly, the best waxes/sealants are all online and not in stores. This goes for products like Klasse, Zaino, Poorboys, Blackfire, UPP, etc ... Some are very easy to work with and others are more painful. Depends on what YOU want. For me I had to pick something that was easy to apply, easier to remove, can work in sun, blah blah blah .... for that I found working with Poorboys stuff was the ticket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with you cujo31 but he said he want's to be able to go to Wal-Mart and get it. dosen't want any hassel to get good wax.

I have been into clasic and custom cars for a while and the general concensioius on wax is Meguiar's rules for wax and cleaner. and Mothers rules for chrome and aluminum polish.
:2cents:

cstmgsxr: Liquid Luster You have to be joking LMFAO that stuff is rotten.... The reason you can never find it is because most retailers dropped the stuff.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts