Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's my budget. I have 3000 bucks to spend on all the bike-related stuff... the MSF course, the gear, all the misc. payments (first insurance payment, dmv registration, blah blah blah), and of course, the bike itself. I'm guestimating that the gear, fees, and MSF will be, give or take, a bit over 1000, so that leaves a bit under 2000 for the bike. I've been reading far and wide on the net about beginner bikes, and have concluded that a sportsbike with fairings will be too much and too expensive, so im tryin for somethin "mechanically sound and cosmetically challenged" to learn on. I found a 78 CX500 in the classifieds for 800, but i dunno if it's worth spending 800 bucks on a bike that's older than me. So what do you guys suggest to this newbie to biking and the forum? As far as my dimensions, im 6', 155 lbs, and the only biking experience i have is a moped with a top speed of 20mph. :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
save more money!!!

Seriously you might find a dual sport type of bike cheaper to buy and learn on particularly if you are looking in the 1000 - 2000 dollar range for the bike with the remaining left over for insurance, msf and gear. I just picked up a Honda xr600r and a crf70 so my son & i can start riding together for 3000 dollars for both.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not too sure about a dual purpose. I don't plan on taking it out on the dirt (partly because i have nowhere to take it out on the dirt). I'm looking for a street bike to practice on. I've heard the CX500 reccomended somewhere, and I saw one in an newpaper ad, so I thought I'd ask. Anyone here from the San Bernardino area? It's pretty hard to find used starter bikes around here... unless I'm totally clueless and missing something that's right in front of my face... :p

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Cheap Newbie ride

You can pick up an early 90's Kawasaki Ninja 500 (EX-500) or Yamaha Seca II (600) in pretty good condition for $1800-$2000.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone, i appreciate it :) Since I'm kinda unemployed at this very instant, I'll wait till the end of this school semester. That way, I'll be working again and save up a bit of extra cash, and won't have school work to get in the way of things. Till then, I guess all I can do is :drool:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It'll be worth the wait. It's better to delay gratification and get something that's in good shape, reliable and maybe even a little better performing as opposed to getting something right now that's in bad shape.

Hang in there.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
sidewaysducati said:
It'll be worth the wait. It's better to delay gratification and get something that's in good shape, reliable and maybe even a little better performing as opposed to getting something right now that's in bad shape.

Hang in there.:thumb:
Excellent advice!!:thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
You can also find decent Ninja 250's for that price as well.

I'd say you're better off on something like that rather than a late 70's bike. More reliable.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Having anything older than a mid-90's bike is probably going to require quite a bit of wrenching (aka repair/upkeep). Since those are costs you haven't the funds for, the waiting route is probably better unless you come across something.

In the meantime, start looking for gear reviews and getting into the MSF. You could also track prices of the bikes you think might be possible over the next few months to get a feel for what's being asked. Ebay, craigslist, and local news sources will provide the data.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts