Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more nice trivia for you :)

What is it?
I know you 'll find this one sooner or later ;)
Everybody knows this firm!

Aris

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i'm not gonna try to research it, i'll look like an idiot. i think it's a suzuki re-5 (not positive on the name). it's a wankle rotary production bike. believe it was the only one (unless you think the norton rotary was a production bike).

the sad part is i saw this bike. my other guess, based off the hint you gave would be a bridgestone. but i don't know a thing about their motorcycles.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi FZR400Tony,

It's not the RE-5 (you are right abou the name of the Suzuki but it wasn't the only production wankel, there were others DKW,Hercules..).

You are right about Bridgestone though ;)

Aris

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bridgestone 350 GTR (1966). They were made primarily for the U.S. market, had a disc valve engine and were capable of almost 95mph. Bridgestone quit making bikes in 1968.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smeg you re hot :D You WINN!

I bet the hint and Tony's answer was a bit helpful.
OK this one didn't last long enough, so lets extend it a bit :p

Well, why did they stop making bikes just like that since they were so good at it?

Aris

·
Registered
714 Posts
As far as I can remember, cost was the main reason they quit. Plus doubts about the reliability of jap "buzzboxes" hampered sales. Bridgestone also wanted to concentrate on their main business of tyres.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ve read a theory that there was something like a 'Gentleman's deal' between Bridgestone and the other Japanese manufacturers. Meaning that they would only buy tyres from them if they quit making motorcycles, otherwise they would boycot them or something. Rumours..rumours.

Truth is that the Bridgestones were better made bikes than the competition, they were also a bit more expensive though...

Aris

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
ariszr7 said:
Hi FZR400Tony,

It's not the RE-5 (you are right abou the name of the Suzuki but it wasn't the only production wankel, there were others DKW,Hercules..).

You are right about Bridgestone though ;)

Aris
i didn't know that dkw's were rotaries. i saw one for sale awhile back online. very expensive.

i don't know anything about hercules.

i shoulda stuck with just the bridgestone guess.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
FZR400Tony said:

i didn't know that dkw's were rotaries. i saw one for sale awhile back online. very expensive.

i don't know anything about hercules.

i shoulda stuck with just the bridgestone guess.
Hercules=Sachs=DKW ever since the late 60s.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
ariszr7 said:
I ve read a theory that there was something like a 'Gentleman's deal' between Bridgestone and the other Japanese manufacturers. Meaning that they would only buy tyres from them if they quit making motorcycles, otherwise they would boycot them or something. Rumours..rumours.

Truth is that the Bridgestones were better made bikes than the competition, they were also a bit more expensive though...

Aris
Right! I think I still have a press release lying around in my junk!

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Grok said:

Right! I think I still have a press release lying around in my junk!
This is the proof that I didn't make all this up from my imagination :cool:

Hey Grok, how often do you clean the garage? ;) It's been sometime now eh?

Aris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts