1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fxtiteass!
I'm in the office and can't laugh, I'm going outside! :D
Please try again, you were close ;)
Can't give more hints because Smeg will find it and I'll run out of trivia soon :)

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Paul748S said:

He said "OUZO," dumbass. It's a Greek breakfast drink that goes great with Wheaties.
Some people in Greece drink it for breakfast, but it has 40 degrees alcohol and it gives a nice hangover :D

Aris

·
Registered
329 Posts
;) OK I'll be the first. Now WTF is 40 degrees of alcohol. I realize your working in the Metric system, but geeez.
:p

·
Registered
304 Posts
kawi jm said:
;) OK I'll be the first. Now WTF is 40 degrees of alcohol. I realize your working in the Metric system, but geeez.
Don't you know anything? It's like when water freezes at 32 percent.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
kawi jm said:
It's 40 to 45 % alcohol at least depending on the brand. It's strong, but there are other much stronger drinks in Greece!
It's very popular among the Greeks but also the tourists who like to get completely pissed and buy 'Ouzo power' T shirts :D
It contains licorice which gives it a nice aroma, but some people don't like it because of this.
Other countries have similar drinks, France-Pernod, Italy-Grappa, but the Ouzo has a very long tradition and there are many brands of Ouzo.
The best Ouzo is made in Mytilini, a Greek Island, many brands are made there.
The French have Pernod as an aperitif and have one glass before the meal, but the Greeks drinkl endless quantities of Ouzo, eating 'meze' (different kinds of fish, octapus, olives etc) at the same time. This is the secret for drinking large quantity, if you just drink a lot without eating you'll be in deep trouble next day ;)
Here is a link I found about Ouzo, the text is in English:

http://www.lesvos.com/ouzo.html

Lesvos is the other (older) name for Mytilini Island. Actually this is where the word 'lesbian' comes from also as it was the island of Sapfo, who in ancient times was the queen of....
OK if we go into ancient Greek history this post will never end and I'm at work :crying:

Now is anybody going to find what bike it is? :twofinger

Aris

·
Registered
329 Posts
:) Thats nothing..try 95% or 190 proof everclear. It will put hair on your...well I guess whatever you need hair on. I drink it from time to time, but my true weakness is Ta-killia.:drool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's a 1963 Ducati Apollo.

In 1963, the Berliner brothers (Ducati importers in America), gave Ducati a really ambitious mission: to create a rival to the Harley-Davidson. Probably this bike, whose technical specifications were almost freakish for the time (and would still be so today), was thought of as an alternative for police departments around the U.S.: the idea of this quantity of orders drew American importers wild.

This "colossus" was born in 1964: a titanic vehicle with a capacity of 1,257 cc and a four cylinder 90° V configuration. The most intriguing aspect of this goliath was that it was not merely designed on the drawing board or as a "concept bike" to be taken from show to show. It underwent rigorous tests, during which its main flaw became apparent. At the time there were no motorcycle tires capable of supporting the bike’s tremendous power and torque. Most of the tests were carried out by Librenti, but Farné also gave it a try. His opinion is unequivocal: "it was like driving a truck. I didn’t like it."

In an attempt to make it roadworthy the power was reduced from 80 HP to 65 and it was fitted with special tires. However, the Apollo never got beyond the prototype stage and very few of them (only two in fact) were ever made. Today only one survives.

SPECIFICATIONS:

ENGINE:
-4 cylinder 90° V configuration.
-Air cooled.
-Rocker arm and push rod overhead valve gear.
-Bore: 84.5 mm
-Stroke: 56 mm
-Capacity: 1,257 cc
-Compression Ratio: 8:1
-Maximum Power: 80 HP at 6000 rpm
-4 Dellorto TT 24 carburetors
-Lubrication: Forced wet sump
-Gearbox: Primary reduction by gears
-Chain final drive.
-Four speed gearbox.

FRAME, FORKS, AND RUNNING GEAR:
-Tubular and box section frame.
-Front telescopic forks.
-Swinging arm rear suspension with twin shocks.
-Drum brakes.
-Tires: 5.00 x 16”

DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT:
-(dry) 270.5 kg

PERFORMANCE:
-top speed not known.

Found at Ducati.com
http://www.ducati.com/heritage/museum.jhtml?model=60apollo

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You win!

Andy, you re the winner!
I didn't think anyone would find this, as it doesn't look like a Ducati at all!
And it's the only one surviving of the two that were made :eek:
It must be something with the ZR7 that gives people wisdom :D

Aris

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts