Sportbike World banner

What are the safest motorcycle helmets?

8K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Angela 
#1 ·
Full face helmets provide the best protection. And with the right paint scheme, the look sharp too.

However it depends on what kind of bike he's planning to get. If he's getting a sport bike, then the full face will look okay. If he's getting a cruiser, the full face looks a bit out of place. They make short helmets that come down just to the top of the ear. Not as much protection, but they do look a bit better. And again, a nicely painted helmet can make all the difference. Obviously there's no mandatory helmet law where you are, or he'd have to wear a helmet. So it might be tough for you do actually get him to wear it. Personally, I never ride without a helmet, it's just not worth the risk. So visit : Motorcycle Low Profile Helmets

#3 ·
Hello Sullivan,
To choose the best helmet, I think, You must know 3 things:
1. safety rating
2. type of helmet (to identify which type you want)
3. and how to measure your head size to fit with the helmet...
You can google these above things for more details, or visit some site like: revzilla.com, helmetszone.com ...
Hope this help :D

#7 ·
Best Bike Riding Helments

Recently I have bought the helmet from High Note Performance their helmet quality is too good suddenly I have got a small accident but I did not get any injury on my head because of helmet safe my head from injury. They dealing with many types of the helmet like bell and shark helmets. And you can buy helmets from an online store of High Note Performance.:wink2::wink2:

Attachments

#8 ·
Helmets Get Better with Long-term Use

Full face helmets provide the best protection. Out of the box, used helmets are more comfortable than new ones. Arai and Icon helmets made after 1990 hold up for much longer than five years, contrary to what manufacturers indicate.

I have been riding for about twenty years. I have put my head in many helmets, new and used. I prefer the Icon and Arai brands for their fit and style. I have found that the more miles put into a helmet, the more comfortable it is to wear. Thus, my current preference is to buy helmets worn by other guys for a time that's well past the sell-by date.

It takes thousands of sweaty rides to give a helmet a natural fit. Washing the interior is the biggest factor that ages a helmet liner. So, when I shop for a replacement helmet, I buy from eBay, and I only buy helmets that are dirty and sweat-stained on the inside.

Helmet-stink is going to happen regardless of the owner. There are days when you're going to skip washing your hair, and instead, get right in your lid for a long ride. Even if you do wash your hair, every day, you are still going to sweat. So, it is completely normal for a helmet to stink, and you should not be embarrassed when others nearby can smell it.

You cannot know what it is like to get in another guy's helmet until you actually try it, and it doesn't hurt to spend $40 on a really nice Arai or Icon helmet that cost $400-$600, new. As soon as you receive your new, used helmet, you're going to want to open the box it came in. You are going to want to get in the new lid right away. Do it! Put it on! You'll be surprised, if it's your first time in another guy's lid.

You'll initially notice is how easily the well-worn padding slides down your face and how quickly the straps fasten. Second, you'll notice the smell. A really good used helmet should have a strong scent of sweat and very dirty hair. In just ten minutes, you should acclimate to it. As you get in the helmet, more and more, the acclimation time will become shorter.

After about ten minutes under the lid, your own sweat will mix with that of the previous owner. The padding will stick to your face. The previous owner's hair oils will transfer into your hair. (You won't notice this until you get out of the helmet.) From this point until you pull out, the connection you experience with the inside of the lid will feel very natural. Finally, when you pull the helmet off your head, you will notice that your hair feels dirty as if you hadn't washed it for a week. This is normal. After about a month of riding in your new lid most of the helmet funk will come out.

It takes about a year before a really dirty lid stops stinking up the places where you keep it when you're not wearing it. However, the chemistry of what makes a helmet stink is also what makes it so comfortable. I like that smell because it is natural.

Shopping for a well-worn lid is fun. There are many choices in design. The smellier the helmet, the better it will fit.

#9 ·
the safest helmet is the one you're wearing. The difference in crash survival between no helmet and even a cheap helmet is dramatic. From the standpoint of protection, a certified helmet is what you should look for - even relatively inexpensive helmets should be certified, so paying more generally gets you more comfort

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.