Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to upgrade from my old '86 FZ600 and I have been looking at the Kawasaki Z1000 and I was looking for some input, I love the look of it, I have yet to ride one, but I will soon. Any input is greatly appreciated, Thanks

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'll just repost the PM here so it will come up in searches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMooseMan
Hey, I posted a thread asking abot a 2003 Z1000 and everyone said to talk to you. So I thought Id ask a few questions, I was just wondering if they are good reliable bikes, I love the looks of them and I want to 1000cc bike too. I am going to try to test ride one soon. I have been looking at ones on craigslist for about $4500, is that a good price?
Thanks,
Graham

I cant help you much on the price, since I havent been in the market for one, but it doesnt seem outrageous. However, I know they didnt sell well, so you could talk them down some more (If its worth it to you). The bike itself was solid. It has the power of a race rep 600, but with a much wider power band (6 gear tranny is pretty much a waste). The chassis is steel, so its not so easily damaged. The suspensions biggest drawback is the adjustability of only one fork. It sort of works. Sort of. Brakes were pretty good, with the high center of gravity being great for stoppies. If you are looking to stunt a bike, this is a great choice. The handling isnt as light as the race replicas, but feels more stable, almost dirtbike-esque, where going over bumps or jumping a curb feels comfortable. The lack of a slipper clutch is abit of a pain, you can and will lock up the rear wheel on downshifting if you are too clumsy. Top end is in the 150 region, and it gets there pretty quick. The lack of wind protection is bothersome to some. I highly recommend a taller screen to help offset that somewhat. Aside from the wind, the riding positin is pretty comfortable. The most I ever rode in a day was a thouthans miles, and while I was sore and beat up by the time it was all done, There is no way I could get over 600 on a supersport. Overall, its a really fun bike. If racing is what you are into, look elsewhere, but it makes a great commuter or stunter, and a pretty good tourer.
Make sure to get some frame sliders. The gas tank is easy to damage, and it is stupidly expensive to replace.
Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, that helps alot. You described everything that I wanted to know, Thanks. I am looking for a commuter and I also want to learn to stunt, so it seems like the perfect bike from what you described.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts