Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely hate to start *another* thread on m/c insurance, but...I just received my m/c policy renewal notice from Allstate. My premium went from about $800/yr for full coverage to $3,200.00, yes, three thousand, two hundred bucks! Phucking bastards! What kinda bullshit is that?!?!

The agent says that it is mostly due to the increase in payouts on high-performance sportbikes, with $300 of it being attributed to one speeding ticket that finally showed up on the DMV report.

Insurance rates are just plain ridiculous here in my county (Harris), supposedly second-highest in the nation. IMO, demographics should play a much larger part in determining rates here, as I'll bet over 90% of those payouts went to riders younger than 25 years of age.

Just venting...

·
Registered
205 Posts
You still have a 929 right? I haven't seen it displayed for a while...just the goat tote. Before mine was stolen yesterday I got some quotes for $1200 but that was the best I could do. When I bought it from the dealer they set me up with $1600/yr but that was financed and without a garage. As of today I finally have a garage, and no bike so I can't get the cheaper insurance. I am 25 yrs old also.
3200 dollars is ridiculous. There HAS to be a cheaper way. Full coverage is the way to go though. I would have paid big time with out it. Better to be out an extra 700 a year instead of 9 grand in one day.

-Kemosabe

·
Registered
309 Posts
I feel your pain

YIKES!!!!!

I hear you dude. We went around on this before, so I'll be breif.

When I checked into allstate, my agent flat out told me they wanted to get out of the market. "Increased pay-outs" my butt.

You might consider getting just liability and theft. That will bring it down to a "reasonable" :barf: $1100 a year with a large deductable. At least that's what I saw from progressive.

It should be illegal to make a jump like that! Where the phuck is the AMA or the other's that I donate to and claim that they are looking after my rights?!?!?!?

I guess I lied about being brief.

Check with state farm. They offered $1100/year full coverage. At the last minute they gave me some bullsh!t excuse about why they couldn't write me a policy. Maybe you'll have better luck.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
DAAA-AM Pete! That is some BS!

God, I hope they dont hit me like that, especially when I just spent $600 to avoid making a claim.

When I bought the ZX9, my agent told me that they are no longer issuing new motorcycle policies. They said that their rate system is bad in that they charge by CC rather than bike type and are revamping their rate system and will insure bikes in the future. I guess a 1100cc cruiser was costing more to insure than a 900cc sportbike and, as you mentioned, they're paying out on the underpriced (ya right!) sportbike policies.
The only reason they took the 9 was because I was already a policy holder for the VFR (phew!) So far my rate on the 9 is under $500/year full coverage (knock on wood)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Really Sux Pete.....
I already paid for my years worth to Progressive,
so it will be locked in for another 8 mos, but it
was about $1950.00 for the Ninja....
I plan on looking into State Farm as well..!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
5000 for full coverage or 272 for liability, that was a real hard choice for me:rolleyes:
1 ticket thats not on my record, no at fault accidents. Married with 3 kids and the bike is not the primary mode of transportation.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That SUX!!!

Geez Pete,that really blows!!!
Allstate never really wanted to insure Sportbikes anyway.
Back in 1993 when I had just picked up the Kat,brand new, they would not even insure the bike. It was on their "list". I got a chance to see the list back then and there were NO Ducati's on the list. I am sure they have made the list by now.
I am with Progressive now,(last 3 years), and pay only $245.00 a year,including towing.
Being older helps!!:D:D

JIM

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I got the 6R after Thanksgiving, I checked with GEICO. You see all those "We want your business" full page adds in EVERY bike mag, and I'm 51, with a clean record. Gotta be a good deal there.

WRONG! The girl asked the bike type and said, "Sorry, not interested." Wouldn't take it at all.

If I hadn't been with USAA for the last 30 years, I'd probably be without insurance.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Joss said:
If I hadn't been with USAA for the last 30 years, I'd probably be without insurance.
You me and a few other people...when all the rate hikes started happening, I called USAA and asked them what there story was. they did in fact raise their rates in Arizona by .05% on all motorcycle policies to counteract the increase in the number of motorcycles owned going up so fast. Or so I was told...sure enough my policy went up by a whopping $3 per bike I think...

·
Registered
463 Posts
"....by a whopping $3 per bike I think..." ;)

Hey, Will. I think USAA is one of the understated (and few remaining since the GI Bill rusted away) benefits of "taking the King's shilling" for some period of time. How many other insurance companies send you money back every year? :D

Stuart

·
Registered
309 Posts
Phukin stupid freakin' insurance company criminals @#$#$$#!#$#%^$#$%

....ARRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :finger:

I hate getting this worked up so early in the morning.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: That SUX!!!

katana600 said:
Geez Pete,that really blows!!!
Allstate never really wanted to insure Sportbikes anyway.
Back in 1993 when I had just picked up the Kat,brand new, they would not even insure the bike. It was on their "list". I got a chance to see the list back then and there were NO Ducati's on the list. I am sure they have made the list by now.
I am with Progressive now,(last 3 years), and pay only $245.00 a year,including towing.
Being older helps!!:D:D

JIM
Hard to think of a Kat being on "the list"..

"Being Older" didnt help Pete any though.....lol:D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Pete said:
I absolutely hate to start *another* thread on m/c insurance, but...I just received my m/c policy renewal notice from Allstate. My premium went from about $800/yr for full coverage to $3,200.00, yes, three thousand, two hundred bucks! Phucking bastards! What kinda bullshit is that?!?!

The agent says that it is mostly due to the increase in payouts on high-performance sportbikes, with $300 of it being attributed to one speeding ticket that finally showed up on the DMV report.

Insurance rates are just plain ridiculous here in my county (Harris), supposedly second-highest in the nation. IMO, demographics should play a much larger part in determining rates here, as I'll bet over 90% of those payouts went to riders younger than 25 years of age.

Just venting...
Should have bought the RC-51. :D Just renewed with Allstate about 3 weeks ago... price skyrocketed from $396 to $407 per year. ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Re: What a "pleasant" surprise from Allstate...

RCjohn said:

Should have bought the RC-51. :D Just renewed with Allstate about 3 weeks ago... price skyrocketed from $396 to $407 per year. ;)
Gee John.....
Sometimes, you know just the right thing to say,
to make someone feel better.....:D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: What a "pleasant" surprise from Allstate...

RCjohn said:

For the gazillionth time, dumbass, rates vary tremendously by geographic region. An RC51 here would cost the same as the 929.

Brian, I got a quote from my State Farm agent of $1,100/yr., based solely on "2001 Honda, 900cc." Something doesn't smell right, though, as the last time they quoted me (which was twice as much as this quote), they did ask me what model it was.

I'll keep shopping and will keep you posted.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tigertex said:
Phukin stupid freakin' insurance company criminals @#$#$$#!#$#%^$#$%

....ARRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :finger:

I hate getting this worked up so early in the morning.
I am right there with ya! This whole "varies by location" thing has me seriously confused, and phuckin' PISSED OFF!!! You can't tell me that Harris County has more payouts than somewhere like Robert's/Will's neck of Arizona, where there have to be a shitload more sportbikes!

I hate to just sit here and complain about it without trying to actually do something about it. I mean, do I have to start a frickin' grassroots lobby to fix this shit?! I'm seriously thinking about doing just that.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: That SUX!!!

Cam McFarland said:

Hard to think of a Kat being on "the list"..

"Being Older" didnt help Pete any though.....lol:D
Ever seen who rides Katanas in Houston, Cam? Take a closer look, and you'll understand.

Allstate also has the VFR/Interceptor on their "bad bike" list. Now where is the sense in that?! :mad:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Actually, one place to start might be the state insurance commission (hope Texas has one ;). It wouldn't be the first time a "rip off" has been discovered.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joss said:
Actually, one place to start might be the state insurance commission (hope Texas has one ;). It wouldn't be the first time a "rip off" has been discovered.
Thanks, Joss. I'll definitely look into it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts