Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had my silver/red F4 for about six weeks now.

anyway i went on a lone mountain road in the middle of nowhere with a buddy of mine, and underestimated a sharp right turn. it was sort of a blind turn, covered in trees and shadows.

to make a long story short, i went wide and skidded....right into the mountainside. thank god i was only going about 20-25mph. i was able to skid to the right, so it wouldnt be a head-on colision. i ended up getting stuck between the mountain and my bike, which was lying on top of me. luckily my only injury is a "crushed" foot, which was trapped under the bike. besides that, i only have a few scratches on my left arm.

my F4 has a cracked windscreen, a heavily scratched left fairing, and the left mirror broke off. any idea how much it would cost to replace this stuff? my deductible is $500.

this was my first accident, and it really opened my eyes to a lot of things. all i know is that i WILL ride again as soon as i get off these damn crutches!! ;)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Bummer!
Well on the bright side, your requisite "rookie crash" is done and you will live to ride again :) I think some of the other guys can help you find aftermarket parts to fix up your bike for less $$. Unless you want to make a claim and get all new Honda stuff...? Sorry to hear about your foot though, how long are you out for? at least six weeks I guess. :( Well, hang in there!

BTW, I had my F4 for 8 weeks exactly when I crashed it... YOU beat me! :D :rolleyes:

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

[This message has been edited by riverrunner_2000 (edited June 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Since June of 1996 I have put about 30k miles on motorcycles. VFR750, FZR1000, KLR650, XT225, YZF600R, SV650 and RC 51. 99.9% of my adult riding has been on the street. I haven't even really come close to crashing. KNOCK ON WOOD. I have had a couple of adrenaline boost due to daydreaming. I do not follow the philosophy of two types of riders, those who have crashed and yada yada yada. Education(MSF course or equiv.) and the right mentality will take you a long way. I due typically dress in full leathers. If not in leathers, in jeans, high top leather shoes and long sleeves. Crashing is always a possibility.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
similair damage on my f2 was estimated at $1900 (one side of fairings, a peg, clip-on, clutch lever, shifter and peg). That nets you roughly 1400 from the insurance company. place ads on www.roadracers.com and here in the classifieds sections looking for perfect stock bodywork (as well as looking through www.roadracingworld.com or buying one of their magazines). It should be about 900-1200 for the full set, sell your damaged bodywork here at sportbikeworld.com and roadracers.com, you can sell it damage side and perfect side together or separate. separate you'll get more, but it'll take time to sell.

windscreens are cheap, like 30-40 for a smoked one or a clear one (LP racelites are my favorites, followed by zero gravity).

just a thought. good luck. we've all been there.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
331 Posts
I want to buy your crashed upper fairing. Email me please if you are interested in selling. Glad to hear you didn't get hurt too badly. Get back on that horse quick!

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since we are on the topic of crashing...My mom does not want me to get a bike for this reason. Is crashing part of owning a sportbike? I am totally into riding safe and it sounds like everyone here is also but if I just take it easy and don't do any sserious riding, am I still going to wreck. I know it depends on the rider but has anyone out there not crashed?

------------------

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
IMO, crashing is a byproduct of a careless action on someone's part. Not necessarily the rider, just a person in general. Granted, there are the times when weather, unseen gravel, animal(s), or some other unpredictable hazardous condition will cause a mishap. Generally though, I've noticed that it's usually due to human error.

My only crash, if you wanna call it that, occured when I rode someone on the back for the first time. I was parking the bike and leaned too much to turn into a parking space. At about 2mph I just gently dropped the bike. Other than that, I've been OK. (with dirtbikes it's a dfferent story) I've had some close calls, but haven't dropped it other than the one time when I wasn't paying attention to the extra weight on the bike.

In summary, ride safe, and you're chances of crashing drop dramatically. There will be a mishap somewhere down the road...there always is, whether it's a bicycle or a sportbike. Hopefully yours will be as minor as mine. Just take it easy, and watch the other person. Assume that noone sees you, and drive with that in mind, always being mindful of those around you. I think you'll be alright man...just use your head, and WEAR A HELMET!!!

Good luck... :D

It took me about 6months to convince my mom AND dad to let me get my machine. The best way to do it is, along with the other info posted, do ALL the research possible on every aspect that will affect your experience with bikes: insurance, MSF course(s), pricing, accessories, EVERYTHING. That is a big step in proving your comitment to owning and appreciating a motorcycle.

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4
Piped, Jetted, totally trick...
Keep the Rubber side down
my Bruthas AND Sistas!!!

[This message has been edited by CBR Brutha (edited June 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ridge Runner:
Since we are on the topic of crashing...My mom does not want me to get a bike for this reason. Is crashing part of owning a sportbike? I am totally into riding safe and it sounds like everyone here is also but if I just take it easy and don't do any sserious riding, am I still going to wreck. I know it depends on the rider but has anyone out there not crashed?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't like to talk about it, but if you think about it you will. i get very jumpy going into some corners, i have just started riding HARD and we run down roads very fast in a big pack, we have been pulled over 4-5 times and always for the same reason "we've had reports of a pack of sportbikes driving fast..."
yada, yada, yada...
if you read my post in daily rider "and the winner is..." you will see that you can crash very easily! just remember though a sportbike will do what you want if you crash it was probly driver error.(i'm talking about solo accidents) take the course and even take your momto the course w/ ya. let her see that you have the interest and that bikes are safe and you are being tought how to drive.

------------------
Nick
You meet the nicest people on Hondas

·
Registered
43 Posts
As I've been told before, there are 2 kinds of riders: Ones that have crashed, and ones that will crash. I being one of the ones who have.

It's not saying that you're garaunteed to crash, but sh*t happens. You just got to be careful, and don't screw around so much.

Taking the MSF is definitely a good idea. I took it, and am extremely glad I did.

Good luck with convincing your mom to let you get a bike.

------------------

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I hope that I NEVER do crash..

I ride with 4 friends and myself. I have never wrote about the accid. that happen on our rides (3 in the last 2 months). Because I don't want new or new-to-be riders to get the wrong idea.

All of the accid. were caused but rider error. 2 of them just went in too fast and low-sided. The 3rd. got on the brakes mid-croner and the bike stood up cause him to run off the road. They all got on the brakes at the wrong time.

We ride kinda close and at a very quick pace most of the time but we have been riding together for a long time. So we do feel very comfortable doing this..

We ALWAYS tell a new rider how we ride and NEVER ride over there head. Just take it slow and at a pace YOU are comfortable at.

So to answer your question, yes there are some lucky riders out there..

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
whoa i didnt expect so many responses ;)

thanks for the comments, tips, etc.
as for my foot, it's already started to heal. im able to limp on it, so i dont have to use the damn crutches.

about the accident itself: let's just say that it was a beginner's accident, and something to learn from. looking back, here's what i did wrong: i applied the brakes in the apex of the turn, my line was too far on the right to make a sharp rt turn, and i didnt look where i wanted to go. in short, i forgot everything i learned in the MSF course and panicked.

as for the bike, i think i can live with a scratched fairing and crankcase (?) cover. i just ordered a new mirror today, and i will be riding again as soon as my foot is 100% :D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
rookie,

since you can't ride, get twist of the wrist 2 by keith code. read it a couple of times. you'll do fine once you're back on the bike.

good luck with the foot, don't rush things, it'll take longer.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
331 Posts
I alomost crash or get killed every time I go riding. That's why I plan on riding only at the track in the future. Right now though I am still riding on the street doddging cars and deer and not really enjoying it too much. I just don't get my rocks off on the street anymore but my car is a POS and I need the two wheeled transportation. My parents hate motorcycles and I have to tell you when they saw me laying in the hospital it was really disappointing to them. Your parents will always worry about you every time they hear about a motorcycle accident. I am tired of putting my loved ones through this. Just because you are not going to ride irresponsibly does not mean that others won't and animals just don't have much brain power and they always seem to want to get in my path.

------------------
Ride Fast. Take Chances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ride Fast-Take Chances??

And only at the track??

Dont know about you but I rather take chances doing something I love than worrying about when I am going to the great afterworld.

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am in the same boat, I have had my F4 for 2 months now and the other day I was ridin' with my cousin. Now, there was honestly no reason for my bike to go down, but up ahead my cousin hit a turn to quick, got nervous and hit his brakes too hard. Anyway, he lost it, I was about 50 feet behind him, doin' 15 miles an hour, I look up and see him rollin', my first instinct is to jump off my bike and help my cousin, so I did just that, even doin' only 15 I hit my brakes as hard as I could (why I did that I don't know) and my bike dropped on its right. No real damage, I got a new fairing on the way at a good price, check out this site "RonAyersMotorSports.com" The brand new factory fairing for $320 after tax and that is COD so that is a little x-tra.

------------------

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I'm still waiting for my crash! Started riding in 1980 (Kaw KZ400. Rode a couple years and blew up the engine. Picked it up again in 1994 ('85 VF700C Magna) and haven't stopped since. Current bike a '99 VF750C Magna (but looking for a VFR or 955i). Magnas are great for speed and I use it. No crashes yet. Mindset is "Everything in the world is out to kill you." Cages, wildlife, you name it. Doesn't slow me down, but does make me very, very aware.

------------------
Ride Hard. You can rest when you're dead.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hey Rookie, glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse. The foot will heal and hopefully you learned a very important lesson. :)

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work in New York City so I ride in the city all the time. In and out of cabs, busses, and people, and I never got into an accident. it wasn't until I was cruising along on street in Connecticut(going under the speed limit for once) that a 74 year old lady in a Caddilac came out of side street and nailed me! $5300 damage to my new F4 that was one month old at the time. I got a new one! I'm lucky I had full leather and a helmet on at the time, because I flew about 25 ft and landed right on my head in oncoming traffic.
You just always have to assume that anything with 4 wheels does NOT see you. Be careful.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts