Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It seems that the forum was created and got started during the weekend, I just saw the first thread.
And what a great response!
I will be the moderarot here so let me introduce myself amd my naked bikes. BTW ALL my bikes are naked if we use the modern term for bikes with their engines (at least) visible.
Of course some of them are just old and changed category now ;)
I'm a mechanical engineer but I work as a computer programmer these days.
I have been riding since 1982 and went through Hondas C50, CB50, CB250 RS. Then I stopped selling my bikes and just got some more.
Now I have a 1983 Yamaha SR500 and a 2001 Kawasaki ZR7 plus 2 BMWs that belonged to my late father and I try to keep them running and restore them at the same time.
I'll try to post some pics of these bikes soon.
For the moment here is a pic of my ZR7: ( an old one actually)
Now the bike has a Titanium Devil slip on, KN filter, 112 main jets, Hyperpro fork kit, braided brake lines, Carbonne Lorainne brake pads and some more minor tweaks.
Unfortunately it has some problems with the gearbox now :(

Aris

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more naked!

This is my 1983 SR500 and my friend's GPZ600R.
The picture was taken in 1990 I think but the bike is still in good condition.
It was rebuilt after a major crash with lots of cash spent on new parts. Then the motor was also rebuilt and now I take it out for a ride every now and then.
The SR500 has the longest production run ever I think (correct me if I'm wrong :D)
This could have been a trivia question! The SR500 has been in production since 1979 and I think it is still produced new for the Japanese market. It was exported to Europe until 2 3 years ago.
At first it was a 'Standard' and now they call it 'Retro'. Strange...
Aris

PS: note the colour of the silencer! :cool:

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turbo CB750?

Hi turn1,

I'm glad you like this new forum. I though it was a good idea to have a 'naked bikes' forum and as soon as I suggested it, Robert created it!

So let's see your CB750 Turbo!

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turn1, I noticed that you are in the middle of heavily modifying the CB.
Wheels, brakes, swingarm are changed.

What's your plan then?

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
turn1 said:
Okay, one more of my naked bikes and I'll stop.

What's this? Looks half naked to me :D

Something looks strange with the clip ons. Are they so long for a purpose? I suppose they re good for the tight stuff eh?

Aris

·
Registered
48 Posts
My ZR-7

Beat Regards Team:

Turn1: Your last picture looks great..! Is that the new paint that changes color Purple/Green? How easy is to paint the bike? Any advice or where to get instructions regarding painting a motorbike?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum Robert!
The more ZR7 the better!

Aris
ZROA#24

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a very beautiful bike!
I didn't even know there was a VTR250. I know the Hornet 250 which started the Hornet dynasty, but it's the first time I hear about the VTR250!
The Japanese keep the best for themselves :(

Aris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Best regards Team:

Keith: Nice site and awesome paint jobs...! How expensive is to paint a bike? I'm planning to do it myself but I have no idea how...bummer :( There are some local shops that will do it but the main idea is to save money.

Aris: Did you get any news from the shop regarding the noise in the right side?

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ZR_7RIDER said:
Best regards Team:

Aris: Did you get any news from the shop regarding the noise in the right side?
Hi Robert,

Whenever I think of this subject I go crazy!
The engine is once more removed from the bike and they will be replacing half the gearbox parts this time :rolleyes:

It seems that it has to go in steps...

If after this the rattle is still there, they will have to replace ALL the gearbox parts. The problem is that no matter how carefully they checked everything there is nothing wrong with any of the parts. At this point I'm convinced that the bike had this problem from new, it was just a matter of luck (or bad luck) that I found out.

I'll let you know what happens finally :(

Aris

·
Registered
48 Posts
noise

Best regards everyone:

ARIS: Do not worry. They will fix it. The bike is still under warranty? I'll perform that experiment (leaning the bike to the right in neutral) to see if I can hear that noise. By the way that S500 will be a nice Café Racer project...!

Ride safe and Happy holidays....!

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
secasarge said:
sorry cant show mine this site only allows pics 2 b 410000
Secasarge you can resize it using Microsoft Photo Editor or any other program you have.

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: noise

ZR_7RIDER said:
Best regards everyone:

ARIS: Do not worry. They will fix it. The bike is still under warranty? I'll perform that experiment (leaning the bike to the right in neutral) to see if I can hear that noise. By the way that S500 will be a nice Café Racer project...!

Ride safe and Happy holidays....!
Hi Robert,

Yeah, I suppose that they 'll fix it eventually, but it's been going on for 6 weeks now :mad:
It's still under warranty (until May 2002) so I won't pay anything, but still it's frustrating after so long.
I work in Germany now and fly home for weekends, so I miss riding a lot. And I have to use my 1975 BMW in order to ride which is OK but not much fun.
The SR500 is a really good bike and great in the twisties. It needs a new real wheel now as I ruined the hub on the original last year and never had the time to fix it. It's a more fun bike than the BMW!
Another 4 friends of mine own SR500s and we made a nice group! Mine is completely stock -original except for the rear Konis, special SR silencer, steel braided brake line, and handlebars from Yamaha Diversion 600 which is really small and fits in ALL the gaps between cars!

Aris

1 - 20 of 23 Posts