Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I know you all already know, but it still feels somewhat relieving to say it:

Hey... when you're driving your car, look both ways before you turn out into the road, and dont just stop in the lane and stare a biker in the eye as you see him squirm with both wheels locked up trying to stop for you.

Righton, so I took a decent ride today after that, and I noticed a weird noise and wanted to ask you guys about it.

Its kinda like a clanging noise, when the tach is between about 4.5 and 7, then it goes away. Both accelerating and decelerating, but it is something with the engine or trans, or something moving, with the engine, because ti does it when i'm stiopped and try to climb slowly through the revs, and if i pull in clutch going fst and just coast to a stop, i dont hear teh clang at all. It kinda sounds like a spoon hitting the side of a pot, very quickly, but goes away above about 7grand.

Any ideas, or anythign I shoudl to to give you guys a better idea?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright. My chain is borderline too loose, I was just not sure if that could amke that sort of noise. Just one of the things I need to add to the list.

Why does it crunch just through that range, but not all oveR?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like a CCT(cam chain tensioner), Could be the drive chain if it only happens when moving. If its the drive chain you will hear it while coasting with the clutch pulled in.

Don't over tighten the chain, always remember that chains are tightest when the swingarm is level(mid stroke).
Watch for kinks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ditto on the CCT. I replaced mine a few months back with a manual tensioner from APE.... took no less than three trips to Sears for the right tools over the course of three days. (a couple hours at a time)

Not too bad of a job though.... The hardest part is setting it up to run with everything taken apart (to adjust the manual one, it must be running).

-Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts