Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't usually post topics much, but had a couple things to speak my mind on...
This weekend's weather was great in MD! Finally, all sun, 70 degrees,no humidity, no wind, no chance of rain. Leaves changing color, it was perfect for a Fall ride. I was out Saturday, pretty much just cruising around, enjoying the day. Stopped for gas and some water at a country store; 2 guys pull in, one on a YZF 600, the other on a Harley Sportster, I think. They ask if I want to ride with them, sure I reply, I don't ride much with other people, but what the hell.
We leave, and the kid on the YZF proceeds to take off like a bat out of hell. The Harley stays with him around 80 mph, but was left behind with me the majority of the time. How much fun can it be to ride with someone who takes off and leaves you behind all the time? I'm taking up the back end, so I can see how these guys ride. After about 5 miles, I've determined they are tried and true straightline squids. Typically as we hit a straightaway, YZF boy speeds up to over 100 or more, and slows to crawling speed at the hint of a curve.
After a stop so they can get a drink, I look at his tires. A good 2" of unused side tread on the rear. He tells me he just got the bike this year, first bike, and really wanted an R1 and was going to trade up soon. I wished him good luck and decided that was probably the point that I should go off on my own ride again.
Anyway, on a long straightaway, I let them get about a quarter mile ahead of me, the Harley guy waved me by, and I decide to see if I could catch him. I had no problem reeling in the YZF with my VTR. I just kept it in 6th gear and hit the throttle and it was easy to catch up to him. When we stopped, he remarked that he was shocked to see me pull up behind him, cuz he was WFO. I thought the current 600's would have me beat on top end? I was up to about 120+ (I could be wrong, I was watching the road, and only glanced at the numbers) indicated on the speedo and felt there was still some more.
That's it, just my weekend expereince...all in all, a decent way to wind down the season here...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good weekend to me. Nice fall ride and you were able to smoke a squid in the process!! I left work early on Friday and headed for my favorite twisties. I stopped at a little convenience store and this guy on a harley pulls up and starts to talk. We were just talking about general bike things. He was a pretty nice guy and it turns out he had just gotten the bike, his first, a fat boy. As I was getting ready to leave the guys asks me if I want to follow him through the mountains. Now I don't normally ride with people I don't know and I have never riden with anyone on a harley but I figured hey, it's someone to ride with at least. So we pull out of the parking lot and the guy stalls the thing. Not a good sign but I'm still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. So, we get going and it was obvious this guy couldn't ride. He was all over the road, couldn't hold a line and scraped his pipe twice. Now, I've scraped my pipe too but it was intentional, this guy kinda bumped it off the ground making corrections in the middle of the curve. I had had just about enough when this idiot goes into a curve too hot and goes way in the other lane. He was just lucky there was no traffic that day because it was a blind curve and if another vehicle had been coming it would have knocked him right off the mountain. I finally got up close to him, waved and went on by. All in all, it was a good day to ride and I was able to get around the fool and scrape my pegs! (on purpose)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Well, my weekend ride was squidfree. I met up with some guys, only one of which I had ridden with. 7 of us total and I, at 25, was the youngest by far. Upper 60's till it heated up to 70's, with barely a cloud in the sky. A R1, 595?, 929, F3, F4, Falco, and me. And who led but the Falco. He has it tweaked a little and that bike sounds awesome. Almost like a muted TL with Yoshi racing pipes if you've heard that before. You need to if you haven't!
The old guy could ride too. We had a good 150 mile trip, and about half way through, I got stuck behind the R1 who braked hard into every turn even though he didn't need to. He just was a slow rider and didn't know how to get it over. I finally passed him out the outside throught a long sweeper with good visibility and felt like the king of the world.
And dig this. Nobody crashed! I hear all these stories about people crashing and I know sometimes it just happens, but it seems to "just happen" a lot. I know there are two kinds of bikes, those that have been down and those that are going down, but man.....
We did get a complaint thought. A cop pulled the slower 2 bikes (R1 and F4) over. They got caught at a light, we didn't run, before that issue arises!
He said that he had complaints of us doing
1) excessive speeds (true)
2) reckless driving (not true)
3) passing on a double yellow (only one or 2 times),
4) passing at a high rate of speed on the shoulder!

What, can you guess which sportbike is able to speed past a car on a grassy shoulder? Its not like Eric Bostrom was riding with us! Maybe on accident, but who chooses to pass in the grass at 60 mph? The cop just let them know that and sent them on the way. But a fun time was had by all.
My condolences to those who have an end to the riding season. I would have fits like a smoker after a long stressful smokefree day.

Jon

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rain, rain and more rain....sigh....................

Woooooow. You guys went on a nice weekend ride....sigh......sniffle.......I wanna ride too!

Argh. South Texas truly has the most whacked-out weather system I've ever seen. Nary a single drop of rain in May, June, July, August or September. Then, it rains every freakin' day for the past two and a half weeks. Yeah, it does actually STOP raining...the sun comes out....and 45 minutes later RAINRAINRAINRAINRAINRAINRAINRAIN. ....and this cute little cycle repeats on and on until it drives the average Joe, like me, who gets to ride maybe twice a week if lucky...TOTALLY FREAKIN' INSANE! :eek::eek::eek: :p

I feel much better now. There was no point to this post. Just that due to my uh, very compact schedule (read: no life) I never get to ride much. I've got a three year old bike with 9k on it.....at least my mileage will be low come resale time! :D Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
speaking of a weekend trip 3 guys from my group went down to deals gap for the weekend. they left thursday 4:00am to arrive some 11 hours later, ride all day friday & saturday & return home this sunday. they trailered to ashville & set up in a hotel. as you probably know deals gap is a riders dream it's got to be 1 of the best roads in the us. 318 turns in 11 miles. i cant wait for them to get home & tell me all about it. i tell ya it must be tough being single & picking up at the drop of the hat,& your off.

if anyone is interested i am 1 of currently 8 guys we call ourselves the turtles, we have a website,we do trackdays & crazy assed street rides & terrorize just about everyone in our path. check it out http://www.uturtle.com

bft

1 - 6 of 6 Posts