Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know most of us try to wave at the Harley guys even if they don't like us because "we are all on two wheels right?" Well, what about mopeds and the little Yamaha Razz type scooters? Being in a college town, they seem to be everywhere here. I had an older guy on one wave to me the other day, so I waved back. But, I had never really waved to any before, so what is your take on it? I guess they are on two wheels also, right? But then again, I don't wave at bicyclists....

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'll gladly wave to a Mopeder if they wave first :)

I Always wave to sportbikes and Harleys, even though the Harleys rarely wave back. F-em if they cant be cordial :D

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I stick to my own kind. If someone else waves or sticks a hand out I'll wave back unless it's the finger, then I'll think about pullin out the glock :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Brutha's take:

I think that if you're on a college campus or in a college town inundated with college students, you shouldn't wave. I feel this way because I think that the only kind of college student that would buy a moped or scooter instead of a sportbike is one of those tree-huggin', abortion supportin', internal combustion engine abolishin' dumb f--ks. (yeah, that might offend you...deal with it)

Therefore I do not wave to them unless they are female, because I can understand a woman wanting a scooter or moped because they accomodate smaller people. But as for me, unless you're a woman on one of those things, I guarantee you there's a scowl on my face underneath my AGV.

On the other hand, if it's not a college town, or if I see some 50yr. old guy on one; hey, more power to 'em. They want to be on two wheels, but don't want 100+ horsepower. Cool with me, and I respect that. At least they do it for a good reason, not because some disease-infested Ethiopian rat might cough due to the fumes.

[Edited by CBR Brutha on 11-07-2000 at 09:37 AM]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tell it all Brutha! Tell it all! I agree with you totally. I don't wave at mopeds either. It's probably not right and it may add to the poor image that others hold of sportbike riders but hey, it's a moped!

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I just changed my mind, come to think of it I've never known anyone to be a hard core moped enthusiasts and be remotely ungeekly like so

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Enough said. :D

[Edited by Rug Burn on 11-07-2000 at 11:58 AM]

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wave at 'em all.

Small town environment here. I wave at 'em all. Especially like to wave at squidly sportbikers whilst riding the Road King, and I always wave first. I like to wave at the few old farts around here that ride scooters, they're fun old dudes.

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like the vote is going down to the wire, here.

I'm kinda on the side of "if they wave first, I always wave back".

I wave at Hardleys, even if they don't initiate the contact, so why not the "other brothers".

Only thing is.....would they fall off if they weren't hanging on with both hands? I'd worry about that.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wave. Maybe on the scooter is someone who is trying to decide which moto to buy--sportbike or cruiser. You know the Harley guys are going to flip them off, why not add another enthusiast to the sportbike ranks?

Besides, some of them tree-huggers can be dangerous!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love it when one of those scooter people try to race me. I just dont know what they are thinking....50cc vs 600cc.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I like to let the scooters get a little bit ahead and rev the motor and only give it a little clutch so I creep past them at 7000 rpm (sorry, I redline at 9600).
Brutha, I am in a college town and agree. I wave at the girls, cause, well they are girls but I shake my head at the guys. What dorks! I'd rather ride a bicycle. granted, it is flat here and I am kind of lazy.
I usually wave at cruisers etc especially if they do it first.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I ALWAYS wave at Sport-bikes.Usually wave at "Goldwing"type bikes.NEVER wave at Hardly-Do-It-Runs...I learned years ago the majority of them don't wave back,so,I let them wave first then I will wave back. If a moped waves,I'll wave back ,after,all we all had to learn on something with two wheels and a motor,right??:D

JIM

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wish you all rode around here.

I wish you all had a chance to ride around here, then maybe you wouldn't be so down on Harleys. I ride one most of the time and ALWAYS wave. No attitude, no BS. We all enjoy the freedom riding brings and all fear the "impact" of cages.

Sure, there are a-holes on harleys, but I've run into a few on other brands too. Perhaps there just aren't as many "posers" around here. Most of us are old farts that have been riding for years. I love sportbikes, cruisers, touring rigs and dirtbikes.

It's too bad that harley has attracted buyers who are more interested in projecting a "lifestyle image" rather than those who simply enjoy riding. I don't have tatoos, I've been married for 17 years to a lovely lady & we've got 3 kids, I'm not an ex-felon, nor do I want to appear to look like one. I've riden MC's since I was 10 and I've owned everything from and AJS to a Zundapp (an Ossa too).

Let's build the fellowship of riders, not trash each other. Remember, we all face the same adversary.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Wish you all rode around here.

Tahoe said:
I wish you all had a chance to ride around here, then maybe you wouldn't be so down on Harleys. I ride one most of the time and ALWAYS wave. No attitude, no BS. We all enjoy the freedom riding brings and all fear the "impact" of cages.
You sound like one of the most decent Harley riders I've ever /spoken/ with.
Riding a Harley ... what's with that?
Surely if you're into cruisin' and touring and such you'd much prefer a nice RF900 or even a Goldwing?
Why the vibration and poor handling of a Harley?

Just askin ...

And on topic remark: nah, I never wave to scooters. For the price that they payed for that "nice" new scooter, they could have bought a nice 250 or something.
Scooters are just plain dangerous if you ask me - they're smaller than a bike, and everyone knows that they're pretty gutless and doesn't give them any respect. That's a recipe for people pulling out infront of you all the time ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts