Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready for this track day and the last thing I have to do is change out the coolant.

Can I take out the coolant and put in the Water Wetter now and still ride the bike around? How long can that stuff be in the bike?

Any pointers on how to go about changing out the coolant and putting in the Water Wetter?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
kyle,

if you have a factory service manual, it'll show the details. if it's like my 400, you take off the tank (which is a plastic cover for me). take off the radiator cap, open the drain on the head. seal it up and open the drain on the return from the radiator. close it up.

water wetter i believe is cut 16 cap fulls to a gallon. so i pour some out of my distilled gallon of water and fill it with about 14 cap fulls or so.

as far as i know, water wetter has lube for your water pump, so it should be a-okay, but don't hold me to it.

i don't think water-wetter has any anti-freezing qualities.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Guys,

I do have the service manual, I just never think to use the darn thing.. Duh!

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Quick questions: Why do you have to use this water wetter on the track? Is coolent more of a track hazard incase of a spill than water wetter would be? Is there any place someone can point me in the direction of so that I can read what things have to be done to a bike before you have a track day?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
lrrsracing.com and marrc.nova.org both have a lot of good info on ccs-setup.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
http://www.ccsracing.com has the 2000 season rulebook online. Plus some other info as well. But that is just for racing. You should be able to go to whatever track's website and they should have something online for track day requirements as well.

[Edited by funksouljon on 11-21-2000 at 01:20 AM]

·
Registered
328 Posts
IMPORTANT NOTE!

Keep in mind that because straight water, or water with Water Wetter in it, does NOT have any anti-freezing properties, it is important NOT TO LEAVE IT IN YOUR BIKE IF THE TEMPERATURE IS GOING TO GO BELOW FREEZING!

For instance, Dale Kieffer told me that it has been below the freezing point at night in Las Vegas recently. So if you are going to the Vegas track day (KYLE, ETC...), and you're going to leave your bike outside at night, it would be a good idea to drain the cooling system...

I've heard stories about guys transporting their racebikes (with no anti-freeze in the bike) through the mountains at night, and finding their radiators split open the next morning because the water froze... :eek:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AWWWWW Crap!

Thanks for the info. Scott. :( I just switched out the coolant last night because I figured it would never drop below freezing here or in Vegas.

How about if I leave the cap off the radiator in Vegas?

Hey Dan, How about we park our bikes in the room overnight? :D j/k

·
Registered
328 Posts
I would probably check the weather report right before you leave for Vegas (I will, too), because if it's not forecasted to go below about 45 degrees, I'm not going to bother draining the system.

Leaving the cap off isn't enough, because there are too many small passages in the system that, once they get blocked, the rest of the water has nowhere to go as it freezes.

Also, parking your bike in the room isn't a bad idea anyway, even if it's not freezing! ;)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Re: AWWWWW Crap!

riverrunner_2000 said:
Hey Dan, How about we park our bikes in the room overnight? :D j/k
I asked for a room on the first floor.:D I had planned on putting the bikes in the room anyway. I just didn't want anyone to think I was a werdo.:eek::D

Did I spell werdo wright;)

G

·
Re: Re: Re: Re: AWWWWW Crap!

Squidwannabe said:

No Pete, He spelled IT right ...
Considering that the word "it" does not appear anywhere in his post, a person using the smallest amount of his intellect should assume that, by "it", I was referring to his spelling of the word "weirdo", which renders your comment senseless and humorless. :p :D

There, that ought to make Nick happy. :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts