Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the best way to determine if you have a bent/warped brake disc? I am getting a slight pulsating in the brake lever and believe this may be the problem. Also, any opinion as to the best aftermarket discs or would you get the manufactures discs?

------------------

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You should be able to rent a tool (don't know the name) that will clamp to something and check for any run-out the rotor might have. I've used them many times for my cars. And it would work just the same for your bike.

My right rotor wraped on my bike 2 months ago and Honda replaced it under warranty at no charge. So you might want to check with your Kaw. dealer.

Just a thought.....Hope this helps ya.

P.S. They replaced both rotors and new pads. :D

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited September 28, 2000).]

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Do you have a bike stand? If you do, you can put the bike on the stand and spin the wheel. Listen for a difference in sound as the rotor passes between the pads. If you hear a difference in drag I'd say the rotor is warped. If the brake lever pulsates, that's another indication it might be warped.

------------------
John
http://photos.yahoo.com/jk6672

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
This may sound silly but...

you can remove the wheel, remove the disc from wheel, remove rotor from carrier then lay the disc on a piece of glass.

Oh yeah you will need a piece of glass like on a coffee table or something like that. :) Stained glass won't work, just not flat/smooth enough. ;)

BTW, the dial indicator idea is easier to do if you can get your hands on one. You don't have to remove the wheel for that. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have never heard of any other cause of a pulsing lever other than a warped disc. I replaced the discs on my ZX11 with a set from a junkyard that were in good shape for 75 bucks apiece, but you may want to check out some of the aftermarket suppliers. The quality should be at least as good as oe. if you go with Braking, Galfer, PM, or other top names. Expect to spend more than 150 per disc.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts