Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what is happening when I'm sitting there letting my baby warm up. Would the req. time be less if she were fuel injected?

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
For one thing, lubrication.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
nope on the f.i.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I like to let my engines warm up for at least a minute. My reason is that heating the head up slowly reduces stress caused by temperature differentials.

------------------

·
Registered
525 Posts
The bike runs at optimum performance when the temperature of the head and carbuerators are at a specific hot temp, this allows for better combustion of mixture, and better mixture of fuel/air. True

Trevor

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
When it is cold the metal contracts when heated The Engine block expands! When your engine is cold and you run hard you can crack you block or anything really .... your engine when warm has more give to it. So never rush the warm up but holding the throttle WO. The easier it warms up the better. If your warm it up for more than a minute put it on the centerstand I have heard some Urban legends about oil not properly lubricating when the bike is leaned over. (in general)
Hope I made sense!

------------------

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My buddy has a 1999 TLR1000 which is fuel injected. But it has a choke on it. :confused:

I thought fuel injected bikes didn't have them. Maybe some TL riders can clear this one up...

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
129 Posts
my gsxr is fuel injected and i have a choke on mine also

------------------
Trying is the first step towards failure.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
To summarize: Lubricate it, and choke it if ya got it! :D :D :D

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
104 Posts
Gee, I really don't have a choice w/my bike. Ever since I jetted it, it's semi-hard to start. You have to have the choke exactly in the 1/2 position. Full choke - no start, no choke - no start. After it starts, it's gotta run at about 2500 rpm for at least five minutes before unchoking or the engine dies. ONce it's warmed up, it runs like a top for hours on end. Anyway, warm up is extremely crucial for any motor that runs at extremely high rpm's. Two words; motor oil. You engine's blood. Even when it's 95 degrees outside (it's 97 right now in San Antonio!) your oil is still much too thick to lubricate properly. Also, it takes a few minutes for the oil to get pumped to all the vital nooks and crannies that need to be lubricated. Sit there for 5 minutes and use that time to check for nails in the tires, proper signal functioning etc. Preflighting the bike is something I do every single time the bikes been sitting for more than a few hours OR if the bike's been out of my sight. I.E. while I was inside the restaurant getting a bite to eat.

------------------
Cosmo
"Do you know how fast you were going, son?" "Gee officer, if I guess right, can I go home?"

·
Registered
517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GodCreatedOne:
my gsxr is fuel injected and i have a choke on mine also

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not really a "true" choke. Just speeds up the idle.
I've found that my bike stalls when shifting from 1st to 2nd if the temp is less than 100 degrees. Not sure if this is normal. So I just let it warm up for a minute and a half or so and off I go. I read in Motorcyclist that if you let it warm up too long the acids condensing from the combustion can eat away at the innards. Anyone else heard of this?

------------------

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:
To summarize: Lubricate it, and choke it if ya got it! :D :D :D

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Ya Baby!

My F4 would not run good with the choke on, even when cold out. I just started it right up and it would warm up at low idle. Odd..

My 900RR that I have now wont start without the choke when its cold out, I keep it under 3k while warming until it gets to 150F.

I think warming up is just good practice for full lubrication and metal temp. as previously mentioned.

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Gee, I really don't have a choice w/my bike. Ever since I jetted it, it's semi-hard to start. You have to have the choke exactly in the 1/2 position. Full choke - no start, no choke - no start. . .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like you are running too rich. I don't know too much about carbs but this seems consistant with too much fuel.

And BTW the choke allows for more fuel than air mix into the carbs, not just an idle increase.

And for the main point, let the engine warm. This is a vital process for expansion of the sleeves, pistons, and valves etc. All the gaps need to seal, fuel injected or not. Oil doesn't really need too much time to run into the engine. If you have ever seen oil injected you'd see it's pretty fast (seconds). Most of the time the oil sticks to the metal anyway.

------------------
You get the best thrills on two wheels!

[This message has been edited by VYPIR (edited July 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
in response to Scotty,
i have a 99 gixxer 750 and mine does the same thing under 100 so now i let it go to about 125-130 that seems to be the temp where it isnt real hot but warm enough not to die

------------------
'99 gsxr 750 with some nice scratches on the left side oops lol

·
Registered
425 Posts
Carburated bikes do need a LITTLE more time to warm up than F.I. bikes.Fuel injected bikes aren`t as finicky to ride when cold(at least mine isn`t).I usually ride away when the temp reads 30 degrees C.

------------------

·
Registered
623 Posts
I do a lot of round town riding on my F3, and this has caused a bit of plug fouling (especially now its winter (sth hemisphere)). Therefore I try not to leave the bike idling for too long. If it's real cold I let it idle at full choke for upto about 30secs. After cutting the choke, the bike will normally sit at a smooth idle of between 12-1400rpm. I generally take it pretty easy for about the first 5-10mins of riding to let it warm up fully before I begin to give the engine any sort of workout.

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
Letting your bike warm up is a good thing, Think of your bike like you, when you wake up and it's cold out you dont want to do much, but after a shower and your warmed up you feel a little better. so let the bike warm up so the head,pistons and case are the same temp, not all metal heat up at the same speed. Warm oil moves and lubricates better than cold.

------------------

1 - 19 of 19 Posts