Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to this forum. I've been wanting to get a sportbike for a long time, but I haven't really do anything until a few days ago when I finally went to get my motorcycle permit. I'd like to know where should I post for suggestions on what and where to get a good starter bike and gears. I'm currently in college so I can't spend way too much money (just bought a car last year and spent a little too much money modifying it).

I've looked at the Yamaha YZF600R, Yamaha YZFR6, Suzuski GSX-600R, Kawaski ZX-6R... But I think those bikes might be too much for me as a beginner. I'm not really worrying about falling because I race mountain bike, and my car has stick shift. So I know how to "ride" a bicycle and shift manually already.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Welcome!!

Hiya!!
There lots of good bikes to start out on....the SV650,the Ninja500,ES500,Bandit600,600SecaII,etc. I am sure other members will pop in with their suggestions too.
You may want to try that "Which bike question" over in the "Chat" forum too.
You are sure to get all kinds of input here at SBW!!:)

Jim

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the SBW forums. I will go with the above except the "ES500", should be "GS500." Just thought I would help out Kat. As far as the concerns about money. If you don't have enough for the protective gear, insurance, and a "potential damage fund." i suggest that you not go for one yet. Sportbiking can be an expensive past time. If you have enough however, go for it!

I do reccoment the SV-650S. Great bike, I plan to buy one in the future. I guess I could add a 3rd bike.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: Welcome!

VYPIR said:
Welcome to the SBW forums. I will go with the above except the "ES500", should be "GS500." Just thought I would help out Kat. As far as the concerns about money. If you don't have enough for the protective gear, insurance, and a "potential damage fund." i suggest that you not go for one yet. Sportbiking can be an expensive past time. If you have enough however, go for it!

I do reccoment the SV-650S. Great bike, I plan to buy one in the future. I guess I could add a 3rd bike.
Oops!! My bad!! Should be GS500E!Thanks Jamie!!:eek:
Other new models for thought are: Ducati Monster600,KawasakiZR-7S,Ninja250R.
However there are quite a few used sportbikes out there that are GREAT starter bikes and well worth looking at.(and that's another list all by itself!!)
Sit down and write out what you have available($) for all that this involves,like VYPIR says:insurance,gear,up-keep,etc. If you have to finance: shop around,and that goes for insurance too!!
Take your time and check prices!!
Good luck and let us know how it's goin'!!:)

JIM

·
Registered
59 Posts
sorry to bumb into ur thread- but i been wondering and asking people around about do i NEED to have insurance to buy and drive a MC legally - they say no one of them was a car saleman. :confused: cause wether or not - this could be my main concern about getting a MC cause i know my insurance going to be high!!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Welcome to the board AirKnight. Katana600 gave you something good to check out & he is right that a m/c is hard to keep running properly, with parts being costly & not the normal thing anyone with a few tools can do with ease like on a cage. As for insurance it will depend upon your State, but where I live my 4X4 truck costs less to insure then my 600 & that is on liability ONLY, so if you have to borrow good chance you will be forced to carry FULL coverage & that is VERY costly.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
welcome. insurance varies from state to state, so i don't know. if you have a car, put the bike on the car policy.

i also like the sv650, but prefer the standard sv to the sv650s. i think the bars make it easier to ride and it's cheaper.

plus, you can add any fairing your want that way.

don't forget to read through the new rider forum. there are plenty of active "what bike" threads.

as far as do you need insurance, check with your local dmv. personally, i wouldn't risk bankruptcy to ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1ST Bike

Hey there, I am new at buying a street bikes myself. I got the money up and just bought a 2003 Yamaha R6, I LOVE IT. Everything about it is great. I think if you have ever riden before this should be the bike. It has great throttle response not too touchy for the first time rider. I give this bike a 10..Good luck man...Whatever you get you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New Bike

Hiya!

My Dad recently traded his Bandit 600 in with a kawasaki ninja 636. Before the Bandit he hadn't ridden since he woz younger and he found the bandit a nice bike to get started on again. He had it for bout two years then got bit bored of the speed so he altered the rear and front sprockets and that made a difference for a while but then he wanted a change. But overall he was really pleased with the bandit so that would be a gd suggestion if ur looking into a starter bike. Also the price range isn't too bad.

$am

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey there. I just bought my first bike. It's a 92 CBR600F2. Easy to ride and very comfortable. BTW I had never riden a thing until I bought it. In fact the shop guys had to give me a crash course so I could get it home in one piece. Felt like an old pair of shoes after the 30 min ride home. I love it. Insurance was cheap also. I insurred through Progressive for $132/yr liability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts