Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vista keeps giving me an error message and I was hoping somebody might know how to fix it... Everytime I close Internet Explorer it opens a window telling me that 'IE has encountered a problem and needs to close' then it pops up another telling me that it's restarting IE. I'm the one who closed the program though! I normally have two tabs going at once on IE and the issue is whenever I try to just close one, it shuts the whole damn thing down and gives me those messages. Now it's started doing the exact same thing with my broadband program when I close it. Help!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Vista keeps giving me an error message and I was hoping somebody might know how to fix it... Everytime I close Internet Explorer it opens a window telling me that 'IE has encountered a problem and needs to close' then it pops up another telling me that it's restarting IE. I'm the one who closed the program though! I normally have two tabs going at once on IE and the issue is whenever I try to just close one, it shuts the whole damn thing down and gives me those messages. Now it's started doing the exact same thing with my broadband program when I close it. Help!
1) Switch to Firefox instead of IE.
2) Install XP instead of Vista.
3) Change your avatar.
#2 may not be possible for you, but the other 2 are. Have you downloaded all the service packs and updates for Vista from Microsoft?

I dunno beyond that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Omg, you crack me up :D Am I the only one who loves my avatar? So that's a negative on #3 but maybe it is time to switch to XP. Hate to spend the money but it may keep me from breaking my laptop the next time Vista frustrates me. And you're the second person to tell me to get Firefox so maybe it's time to listen...

Btw- downloading any kind of update with Vista is like suicide, so that's a no.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I got 25c on the real problem being some spam-malware application that tries to keep track of your browsing but doesnt work well and crashes. It may work "better" under firefox, or it may not. XP is definetly less frustrating, but I think the real cause is spam, not IE or Vista.

Can we start and RA needs a new avatar thread? The fact that hilrack looks kind of like Schwarzenegger has political implications I'm scared to ponder.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I got 25c on the real problem being some spam-malware application that tries to keep track of your browsing but doesnt work well and crashes. It may work "better" under firefox, or it may not. XP is definetly less frustrating, but I think the real cause is spam, not IE or Vista.

Can we start and RA needs a new avatar thread? The fact that hilrack looks kind of like Schwarzenegger has political implications I'm scared to ponder.
Good point. I always accuse MS first because I hate them. Spybot is a good program to download to catch spyware.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The best software I found to date is spy hunter. You can scan for free but you have to register and pay to clean. But it gives you the location of files and registry entries when it scans, so you can just go in and delete manually

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Tried that once. She was not cooperative.

My vote still goes for

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Seconded.

All those in favour?

"Aye!"

Motion carried.

Admin, please change EIEIO's avatar and remove her ability to reconfigure it herself.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I love it when parliamentary procedure pays off :thumbs2:
I initially read that as "paramilitary" instead of "parliamentary" and was thinking, "well, that fits" :twofinger

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
As Vash has suggested, I suspect you have some kind of malware (trojan, spyware, virus, etc). If you're not running a full security suite you're in for trouble. Here's a deal that is worth you while if you're organized enough to follow rebate instructions to the letter and track them to ensure the rebate companies don't screw you over.

EDIT: There is another possibility. Spybot or Adware or another program that you DID install could be conflicting with IE. I had this issue some time ago on XP Pro so you should consider if this problem cropped up after you installed something new.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ICan we start and RA needs a new avatar thread? The fact that hilrack looks kind of like Schwarzenegger has political implications I'm scared to ponder.
Lmao! I call it the ObaHilla but you're right it does have an Arnold touch to it... Maybe all three of them could team up? Anyone good with photoshop? I'd have to see something really great to take it off of my avatar though.

As Vash has suggested, I suspect you have some kind of malware (trojan, spyware, virus, etc).
Thanks, I'll try scanning it when I get home and see if that helps for now. Any idea what it would cost to put XP on there if I take it to someone (trying to avoid getting ripped off again)? I don't think I know how to do it myself...

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Thanks, I'll try scanning it when I get home and see if that helps for now. Any idea what it would cost to put XP on there if I take it to someone (trying to avoid getting ripped off again)? I don't think I know how to do it myself...
Yeah, that's not really a trivial exercise if you're not hardware and software savvy. I presume Vista came on the laptop and if that's the case, I wouldn't recommend changing it. If you're still under warranty, give the manufacturer a call and report the problem.

EDIT: You should pay NOTHING for them to deal with the issue, BTW.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Yeah, that's not really a trivial exercise if you're not hardware and software savvy. I presume Vista came on the laptop and if that's the case, I wouldn't recommend changing it.
You've got that right. I never knew an OS could be self-aware, and quite hostile when threatened.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so this is odd, I think my laptop is possessed. I tried to download Firefox and as soon as the download would begin IE shuts itself down and gives the same error messages. I tried it like five times, got pissed off and went to download Ad Aware, same thing. Download starts, IE shuts down. Wtf? It downloaded a Java update just fine though, makes no sense. I scanned it with Norton 360 and it didn't detect anything. Ah well, I suppose it's time to take it somewhere damnit.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've had pretty good luck by opening the task manager and looking at the processes running. I sort them by memory usage then google anything I don't recognize. In the google results will be the solution to any problems found. This may not catch everything but it's something to do before you take it somewhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts