Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I hate to ruin it for gear nazi's everywhere (Hey, I am one) but racing boots would not have saved him. If the impact was enough to cleave thru the bone, it would've went right thru the thin boot armor. Hey, gear is protection not a guarantee...

I wonder if he will walk again. I think that sort of injury is fixable...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vash said:
I hate to ruin it for gear nazi's everywhere (Hey, I am one) but racing boots would not have saved him. If the impact was enough to cleave thru the bone, it would've went right thru the thin boot armor. Hey, gear is protection not a guarantee...

I wonder if he will walk again. I think that sort of injury is fixable...
Well, we don't know exactly how the injury was caused, but we do know that you never see that kind of injury on the racetrack, where everybody's wearing anti-crush boots. :2cents:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
It looked like he was wearing tennis shoes, which are under-ankle footwear. If he had been wearing riding boots, it's very likely the injury would have been somewhat, if not significantly, decreased.

Since we have no idea exactly what happened though, it's difficult to play Monday Morning Quarterback. :dunno:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
slaintedan said:
Well, we don't know exactly how the injury was caused, but we do know that you never see that kind of injury on the racetrack, where everybody's wearing anti-crush boots. :2cents:
Absolutely correct. Again, I dont want to take away from the "Wear you damn gear, people!" message. I'm behind that one 100%

·
Registered
38 Posts
man I hope that guy is healing up. There is a chance that an injury that severe can leave him with some permanent problems. If the nerves in the foot are trashed he might end up with a useless foot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This makes me want to purchase racing boots. If he was wearing boots that came up high I don't think his foot would have done that. I have a pair of Sidi boots, but they are older and worn out. Im going boot shopping real soon.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its just a compound fracture. A really really bad one. But yea, boots would have helped a bit. he still would have broke the shit out of his ankle most likely. But the boots would have helped. Those were some rediculously squidly tank wheelies too. I know you gotta learn somewhere but damn. :rolleyes: Serious rehab and pain will be accompanied by that accident for the rest of his life

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
All this talk about racing boots...

Best foot protection money can buy... Kevlar Reinforced Shell.

Granted, these are not my everyday boots - just when I go racing, trackdays, or just plain ol' spirited jaunts up in the hills.

Again, we don't know how the accident happened and under the most horrific incidents, these boots will not "SAVE" you either, but I'm thinking if he was wearing these, he may still have crushed his leg but would not be anywhere near as bad as it turned out.

Now THIS is a race boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It kills me when you see guys with helmets on the back of there bikes (while not wearing one) I mean whats the point of having one. And then they wear sandals, idk anybody else see people like that..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll admit, I was guilty of wearing tennis shoes when I ride to work and school. Leather boots when on spirited rides.

I'm going to buy some leather hiking type boots at the very least for commuting now. Like, as soon as the store opens.

Holy shit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I try so hard to be a compasionate human being, to feel sympathy for the plight of my fellow men/women......

But with shit like this, I fail miserably.

What a fucking moron.

Protective gear exists SPECIFICALLY for this.

I don't do wheelies. I have never learned how to do them. My biggest stunt is a stoppie, or maybe a Christ air. What I can't grasp about the wheelie fanatics is, your fucking ACCELERATING!!!!!

You pick that wheel up, and start accelerating. Anything that happens from here on out will only be WORSE then if it were to happen right now. Then to top it off, you have these Goddamn idiots in a t-shirt and tennis shoes. Thank you, you fucking ass hole for giving the public more reason to hate motorcyclists.

'Been a long time since I've ranted on here, but shit like this pisses me off. Put your fucking wheel down, you retard!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
cookeetree said:
Take a look at some calf-length lace-up work boots. These are the ones I've got:

Don't waste your money on work boots. They are for work, not riding.

Those boots might.... MIGHT.... provide a small amount of abrasion protection. They won't provide any stabilization of the joint.

Race boots have big plates up either side of the ankle which severly limit the ankles ability to move to either side. In proper boots your ankles are limited to ONLY up/down movement.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts