Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
All I can say is....ouch. :( Just out of curiosity what's everyone's taken on the backflip here? I think it's pretty sic but they give it way to much pull. I think alot of the tricks are a whole lot more technical in nature and that the backflip is more a commitment/ balls thing. :eek: It scares me that normal people are gonna go out and try this and screw up.........judging by your body position and where the bike is.....if you don't bail at the right time, you're gonna get pretty messed up.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
IMO, FMX isn't riding... it's showing off, BUT it can be entertaining at times... when there's nothing else on. FMX is getting to the point where they have to try stupid stunts (ie the backflip) to keep the fans interested. The stunts they try are nothing to laugh at as is, however, because it's all been done over and over again for so long people want NEW TRICKS. There are limits to what you can do on a dirt bike and that sport is reaching those limits. It's only a matter of time before it dies out for lack of fan interest. And as for the video clip... seen it too many times. It's lost its shock value as far as I'm concerned.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hot_rocket78 said:
IMO, FMX isn't riding... it's showing off, BUT it can be entertaining at times... when there's nothing else on. FMX is getting to the point where they have to try stupid stunts (ie the backflip) to keep the fans interested. The stunts they try are nothing to laugh at as is, however, because it's all been done over and over again for so long people want NEW TRICKS. There are limits to what you can do on a dirt bike and that sport is reaching those limits. It's only a matter of time before it dies out for lack of fan interest. And as for the video clip... seen it too many times. It's lost its shock value as far as I'm concerned.:rolleyes:
Diane,
Is your title moderator, moderhater, or cynic? :twofinger LOL ;) Though I hate to make the comparison, FMX is at the point that skateboarding was at in '99 when Tony Hawk did the 900. Just before that monumental occassion, skateboarding critics and fans were saying that the sport had gone as far as it could...there was nothing left! It took an innovator like Tony Hawk to prove them wrong, and look at where the sport is now. It's HUGE!!!

You're right, the fans do demand new tricks...and so do the riders! If it weren't for new tricks the sport would not grow and surely die. Though the backflip has its critics, it will surely drive this sport into a new era of creativity, experimentation, and growth. :thumb:

·
Registered
636 Posts
You gonna be the one to tell Travis Pastrana he's not really riding?? :D ;) I think FMX is about guys who want to have fun on their dirtbikes and maybe get away from the pressures of racing for awhile. Do I have a general dislike of "jump kids" that only bought their bikes to stunt on? Bet your ass I do, same as with the R6, there's always going to be that stunting crowd that can't ride worth a shit in the twisties or out on the MX track. They can ride a wheelie as long as you want though, or they can pull Cordovas or the Kiss of Death. Anyway, we get all pissy about it because they can't do what we do, but we can't do what they do, kind of a contradiction. Bottom line though, everyone's entitled to do whatever they want with their bike as long as they don't endanger anyone else. Philosophy by Steve. lol :D On a side note I agree with Slaintedan I think the sport is just beginning to blossom it hasn't really been around that long. Still waiting to see the 360 and what they do with the "fun box". :eek: I love watching these dudes do things that just seem to defy reality to me on their bikes. I do like racing alot more though. ;)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
You gonna be the one to tell Travis Pastrana he's not really riding?? :D ;)
Did I say that? Nope. I addressed the sport, not the participants. Those guys ride for real, outside of FMX. Travis is one of the most well rounded, talented guys in the sport of MX and is one of my favorites. I merely addressed the sport.

I think FMX is about guys who want to have fun on their dirtbikes and maybe get away from the pressures of racing for awhile.
Yes, you address where the sport came from... guys tired of sitting around between motos and finding ways of keeping it interesting. Just like the rodeo. On long cattle drives they had to have SOME way of keeping themselves sane. Do I like the rodeo? Yes I do. Do I like FMX? No I don't.

The sport has limitations that BMX and skateboarding do not... heavy machines to contend with. Comparing them is like the apples to oranges bit. The only way to really elevate FMX is to start modifying the bikes. Can it be done? Sure it can. Looks at trials bikes. Built for the purpose of that particular sport. So yes, the sport COULD take off in a whole new direction, but ask me if I care. FMX is not riding, it's jumping. Can riding include jumping? Yes it can, but jumping alone is not riding. As I said before, all of those guys can ride, but FMX is not where you will see them doing that.

Like I stated in my first post, IMO= in MY OPINION, ie... for me personally... I do not find FMX interesting or exciting. Period.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I showed that video to a buddy a little while back. He's a hard-core MX'er and politely let me know he's actully got that video and the guy's doing it on purpose. He's landing in a huge (and soft) pile of woodchips.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts