Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make my VFR800 a little more comfortable for the long haul. I'd appreciate any inputs I can get regarding Heli-bars. I currently have Genmar clip-on risers. I'd like to get the clip-ons up just a bit more. Will Heli-bars accomplish this? Are there clearance problems with the shield/fairing? How difficult is the installation? Thanks.

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
I can't vouch for Heli-bars on a VFR, even though I understand they are wonderful! I see a lot of them at HSTA gatherings.
On my gxsr, however, they seem wrong...like I'm off-balance. The extra hight and set-back are great, but the 2.5 inches wider tends to make me into a sail. I find my average comfortable speed has dropped almost 10 mph because I now have to pull myself up against the wind.
I'm still trying to find a new sweet-spot and haven't given up yet, however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
one good thing with heli bars is you don't have to change the cables on the clutch and brake, i know people who have them and love them, i think there about 275 $ they ain't cheap

·
Registered
6 Posts
VFR bars and risers

Hi abmarsh,
You didn't say how long you have owned your VFR, or how many miles you have put on it, so I guessing that it's not enough.
When I first purchased my 99 a year ago, I was comming off a small cruser, I thought the VFR was going to kill me slowly! In spite of all the reviews of how comfortable the bike is, after a 3 or 4 hour ride my wrists and lower neck were racked with pain. Determined to make the best of it, I just continued to ride, and after a while the pain went away. One of the reasons I didn't change the bars, was posts I read on the VFR list about how little difference they made in some owners opinions.
Now, a year and 13000+ miles later, I can ride all day with no discomfort at all. In fact, I'm glad I didn't spend the money, as now I enjoy the lower riding position of the stock clip ons.
The only concession I made to comfort was accidental. This was the addition of a Sargent World Sport Seat. This seat, in my opinion did more for the comfort of the bike on a long day of riding, and originally I made the change for esthetic reasons alone!
YMMV, but good luck, and enjoy your VFR

[Edited by DAVFRMAN on 11-12-2000 at 07:29 PM]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts