Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost dropped the big girl this morning on the way to work!

There's one roundabout that has a very tight exit turn. I've ridden it hundreds of times, without a problem, but this morning was little more interesting.

As I approached the intersection, I clicked down through the gears, saw there was no traffic to give way to, and set myself up for the turn. I leaned tight into the turn, hit the apex and rolled on the throttle to power out of it. However, instead of standing up and leaping forward, the bike revved-out and dove tighter into the inside of the corner. She was going to fall!!!

Instinctively, I put my foot down (thank God for Sidi Vertigos!) and brought her back upright. I then quickly hit the clutch & gear lever and got some drive happening again.

I surmised that, with my new boots, I mustn't have clicked the lever down far enough when shifting from 3rd to 2nd, causing the false neutral. Need to be sure that I apply more pressure in future, especially until my boots wear-in a little. ;)

Take it easy out there, folks...

·
Registered
892 Posts
i've had the same thing happen to me! except i was down shifting into the turn and got it back in gear mid turn in time to gas out it. scared the hell outta me. were so used to having power on demand its wierd turning the throttle and not having it. it makes you realize how important it is.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yeah, when I speed shift on the RR, i sometimes don't hit it hard enough and the second I give it full throttle, it pops out and I think "OMG, I DON'T WANT TO REPLACE THIS ENGINE AGAIN!!!" Thinking something blew... lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Heheh, I've only worn my Sidi Vertigos once because of that. I had a hard time trying to feel where exactly the shift lever was the one night I was wearing them. I had a problem letting the lever down far enough for it to reset so when I would shift it stayed in the same gear. I raised the lever when I got home but haven't tried it out since.

I also went through a roundabout with those boots that night but it worked out for me. I almost dragged knee on one a week ago; I just sort of kept going around and about until a car came or I got sick. I wish roundabouts went both anticlockwise and clockwise so I could scrub out both chicken strips, but at least I've got the left one licked.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OSUrid3r said:
...I wish roundabouts went both anticlockwise and clockwise so I could scrub out both chicken strips, but at least I've got the left one licked.
Tell you what. How about we swap tyres for a while. I'll wear out the right-hand-side for you and you can do my left side. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JBaz said:
you mean counter-clockwise? not anti... anti-clockwise would mean that it's digital... :p
Er, actually, "anti-clockwise" is just as correct as "counter-clockwise".

FTR, the opposite of digital is analogue. :moon:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
docta_freeze said:
I have my shift lever re adjusted for the vertigos.. i wouldnt have it any other way..
The lever's in the perfect spot. I can slide my toe straight in and already be just brushing it. I've just gotta push down a bit harder on downshifts to make the boot flex more.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
since your in Oz on the bottom of the planet isnt your shift pattern reversed ? so you shift up and your toilets spin counter clockwise :twofinger

:cheers:

maybe some ankle exercise to strenghen up that shift force...climb a ladder 50 times a day...like me...I'll even pay you to do it if you come over here

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ARKninjaZX9 said:
since your in Oz on the bottom of the planet isnt your shift pattern reversed ? so you shift up and your toilets spin counter clockwise :twofinger

:cheers:

maybe some ankle exercise to strenghen up that shift force...climb a ladder 50 times a day...like me...I'll even pay you to do it if you come over here
No, I don't have a GP shift and my toilet's bolted to the floor, so it doesn't spin at all! :twofinger

Ankles are more than strong enough. Just need to break-in these boots. Climb a ladder 50 times a day for money? Hey, I'm there! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
well you do have to fasten some siding on while your climbing but you'll adapt well mate, and its gettin pretty close to your usual climate now so you'll feel right at home, except for no roos, possums instead:cheers:

·
Registered
177 Posts
every so often, as I'm exiting a left handed turn in 2nd gear; I will bring my foot back under the shift lever (because I always keep it above in case of scraping) and I accidentally knock it into nuetral on the way around the shift peg and scare the hell out of myself.

I love riding. :)

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ARKninjaZX9 said:
well you do have to fasten some siding on while your climbing...
D'oh, I knew there'd be a catch. ;)

Smitty - Yep, I gotta get the lead out. :p

Oreo - Ain't ridin' fun?! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
:D lay a recollection on us Smitty :thumbs2:

Ya'll keep the shiney side up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts