Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved from Mass. to Georgia and my solution for getting everything down here was renting a Uhaul with a car trailer. I put my bike in the uhaul along with all my stuff and my car on the trailer and drove down. That really isn't the most interesting part of it though. The interesting part is my bright idea of putting the bike in the back of the uhaul. Well, more importantly how I was going to get the bike into the uhaul. So here goes.:(

I start my bike, let it warm up a little and drive the bike around my apartment complex in order to set up to drive the bike up the ramp of the Uhaul and into the back of the truck. So without any gear I do this.:rolleyes: I start riding the bike up the ramp of the truck and about half way up I realize I am going a little too slow and have to speed up or I am going to topple over off the ramp and seriously **** me and my bike up. So at that exact moment I let the clutch out a little too fast and probably gave the bike a little too much gas.

The result? Well the front tire pops up in the air (this being my officially first wheelie) and my handlebars are about shoulder high. When this happens my right hand must have rolled on the gas even more and the bike launched into the back of the uhaul and sticks itself completely vertical in the far left corner of the truck. I can't even begin to explain how fast the whole thing happened, but as I limped away from bike I wished for those 3 seconds or less to be taken back in a way that I never have before.

My buddy, who watched me do the whole thing asks if I am ok, to which I reply yes. We then get the bike down from its vertical position and look it over. Here is a list of what I broke : the tail section, the license plate holder, the left front signal, the left front air intake piece of plastic, the left front side view mirror, and the side fairings seem to have come apart at the bottom of the bike.

Damage to me: my left front knee has a large bruise, by left shin has a little bit smaller bruise, my right big toe is all different shades of ugly colors, and I am just generally sore all over. I guess when I think about it the whole thing could have gone much worse, but at the time I was crushed. Hopefully I will be back on the bike soon and that will be my one fall. My advice to everyone in case they didn't already know it, push your bike up the ramp of a Uhaul truck, don't ride it up!!!

Ride safe,
Dave :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I know that you are not the first person to do something like that. I was watching Real TV the other day. Some guy rode his bike onto the back of his truck. At some point he gassed it too much and ran right into his rear window, shattering it. I think he also damaged his bike and hurt himself. At least you don't have damage to the truck to pay for.:rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Dave, how's your sense of humor? Are you mentally "over" having made such a mistake? I just need to know if it is safe for me to start laughing without offense, because holding it in is killing me!!!

This one definitely wins top honors in that old SBW thread about "the most embarassing thing you've ever done" thread.

I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse, seriously.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
;) I have to agree with Pete on this one. I just wish you had a video running, or at least a pic of the bike wedged in the corner of a U-Haul. Just think of all the space you could have saved if you'd left it in that position! ;)

I'm glad you're not more hurt though! :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Pete said:
Dave, how's your sense of humor? Are you mentally "over" having made such a mistake? I just need to know if it is safe for me to start laughing without offense, because holding it in is killing me!!!

This one definitely wins top honors in that old SBW thread about "the most embarassing thing you've ever done" thread.

My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pete said:

I gotta side with Pete on this one....
I started laughing to myself until I got to
the part where you started talking about
damaging the bike....and yourself.
As you say, it could have been worse.
Hope you can get everything fixed up allright.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sheesh.....by the time I wrote that & then walked
away for 3 minutes before I hit submit, everyone
copied me almost verbatum...

·
Registered
76 Posts
fotobw: At least you hit the ramp! I watched a friend miss the ramp all together and stick his bike into the tailgate of his pickup and fly heels over head and land on his back in the bed of the truck. :( So, look on the bright side of things, at least it was a rental.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just think how much you could have made on those, "You've been framed" type programs. :D At least enough to cover the damage.

Glad you're alright though. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry to hear about you and your bike, dude. It happens to everybody. We all do one thing dumb with our bikes. This one time, my buddy thought if he put his FZR up on his swing arm stand, started his motor, put it in gear, that he could oil the chain better. Well, everything went ok until he decided to sit down with his legs under the bike to spray the lube into the chain. When he got his legs under the bike, his mother came out and leaned over the back of the bike to see how he was doing. The bike kicked off the stand, ran both his legs over, and fell against his dad's truck. His legs had tire rash, but his ego was smashed because we were all standing there watching. So don't worry, people do dumber things.:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete said:

Feel free to start laughing!!:D I was laughing just a few minutes after it happened. It was kind of that nervous laugh, but still I couldn't help laugh. Glad to hear others have somewhat similar stories, I was a a little afraid I was the only one to have such a massive brain fart!:p The adjuster will be out on Monday and hopefully everything will be fixed up like new within a week or two. Take care and remember, PUSH THE BIKE!! (up uhaul ramps that is.)

Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
tigertex said:
Don't feel too bad. I know that you are not the first person to do something like that. I was watching Real TV the other day. Some guy rode his bike onto the back of his truck. At some point he gassed it too much and ran right into his rear window, shattering it. I think he also damaged his bike and hurt himself. At least you don't have damage to the truck to pay for.:rolleyes:
My buddy and I were at the motocross track a few towns away. He had parked behind this big hill, and so when we were done at the track, he got this great idea, (whilst riding up to the truck), that it'd be cool to just jump the hill and land in the back of the truck! He tried it, and landed it, but he was probably going 30mph when he landed in the middle of the bed of his Ford Ranger!
The bike smoked the cab, broke the back window, bent the forks on his RM250, and sent him flying over the cab onto the hood, and then onto the ground!
LMFAO!! I couldn't stop laughing all the way home!
I'm glad he wasn't hurt, just like I'm glad you weren't, but nobody can help but laugh if they were watching, (or reading this thread!):D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have never admitted this publicly so here it is. While road jetting my TZ 250 I was sure the car coming was of the official type. It then seemed like a good idea to just ride into my van and hide. Didnt duck quite enough and why would I be wearing a helmet. When I came to the TZ was in the front seat, my head was killing me and it wasnt even the police. Sad but true!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to load my RM250 that way.The last time I tried it the ramp shot out from under me half way up. I cased my rm on the tailgate and put a notch in it.Nice,eh?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm sorry but, that is too funny.:D :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
jamie richards said:
I have never admitted this publicly so here it is. While road jetting my TZ 250 I was sure the car coming was of the official type. It then seemed like a good idea to just ride into my van and hide. Didnt duck quite enough and why would I be wearing a helmet. When I came to the TZ was in the front seat, my head was killing me and it wasnt even the police. Sad but true!
That is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. I think you just made my day.

I removed the kick stand kill switch from my bike, and later started it while in gear. The bike just jumped onto the ground and I felt really stupid. I did this in the parking lot of my appartment complex in the middle of the summer so people were outside and everything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Prices?

I just got my estimate for how much it will cost to get my bike back like new and they told me 3500 dollars! This seems like WAY more than it should cost. The insurance is paying for it so I guess it doesn't matter all that much, but it just seems very high considering I can still drive the bike, I even drove it to the shop to be fixed. So tell me if you think this is right or not, the tail section is about the most expensive thing they are going to fix and acording to them it will cost around 1600 dollars. That seems like an awful lot just for the tail section. The very end of the tail is what was damged, *** even the rear brake light still works and wasn't scratched. Oh well, it just seemed high to me and was wondering what some of you have experienced when getting a bike fixed. At this kind of pricing it doesn't seem to me that sportbikes would be hard to total at all. I mean shit the engine, exhuast, tank, headlights, rear blinkers, suspension, and a bunch more I am not even getting into are fine. WTF? Thanks,
Dave:rolleyes:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Prices?

fotobw said:
I just got my estimate for how much it will cost to get my bike back like new and they told me 3500 dollars! This seems like WAY more than it should cost. The insurance is paying for it so I guess it doesn't matter all that much, but it just seems very high considering I can still drive the bike, I even drove it to the shop to be fixed. So tell me if you think this is right or not, the tail section is about the most expensive thing they are going to fix and acording to them it will cost around 1600 dollars. That seems like an awful lot just for the tail section. The very end of the tail is what was damged, *** even the rear brake light still works and wasn't scratched. Oh well, it just seemed high to me and was wondering what some of you have experienced when getting a bike fixed. At this kind of pricing it doesn't seem to me that sportbikes would be hard to total at all. I mean shit the engine, exhuast, tank, headlights, rear blinkers, suspension, and a bunch more I am not even getting into are fine. WTF? Thanks,
Dave:rolleyes:
Thats why (one reason) sportbike insurance is
SOOOO expensive....the plastic from the manufacturer (especially if it has any decals)
costs an arm & a leg....:( :mad:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, here goes as far as the unofficial invoice goes:

HO HHP COWL, RR (TYPE1) 427.99
HO HHP COWL SET, L. (TYPE 1) 440.99
HO HHP COWL SET, R. (TYPE 1) 440.99
HO HHP COWL (UPPER) TYPE 1) 607.99

So there it is, the 1917.66 for the just the cowling? Now I think one of those must be the front left air intake cover becaue that was cracked. Still, that seems like a lot of money, I could give you the whole list of parts if you like. Thank you for the help.

Dave

·
Registered
624 Posts
mbnickel said:

when we were done at the track, he got this great idea, (whilst riding up to the truck), that it'd be cool to just jump the hill and land in the back of the truck! He tried it, and landed it, but he was probably going 30mph when he landed in the middle of the bed of his Ford Ranger!
LMAO - the capacity of the human imagination to overwhelm the human brain is unbelievable!!! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts