Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a CBR 600 approaches 16k, one should begin to think about adjusting the valves manual says. As the valvetrain wears, do the clearances between cam and follower get bigger or smaller? Those of you who have adjusted your valves, did you put larger or smaller shims in?

As a secondary question--How likely is it that they need it at that mileage? I am a pretty good DIY'er, but tore off all stuff necessary to change air filter, looked at how much more I would have to do and chickened out on the valve project. Even if you get all that stuff off, how do you have enough room to work in there and get accurate readings?

I want to take good care of my bike, but may give this one to a shop. What do you think? :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 600F, but I do with other recent Hondas.
As the valvetrain wears, do the clearances between cam and follower get bigger or smaller?
On my bikes, valve/seat wear outpaces the cam/lifter wear, and the clearances tighten up.
How likely is it that they need it at [16K]?
While some clearances on my VFR and ST1100 (46K and 26K respectively) are approaching the lower limit, neither has yet required a shim change. I expect that the VFR will require at least one at 48K.

If you have the skill, the tools, and the time, do it. Even if no adjustments are required, you'll know that clearances are good. And, you'll then have a record starting at 16K so you can anticipate future adjustment requirements.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts