Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done their own valve checks? Just curios on how much of a pain it is. I am fairly mechanical (dropped a motor/tranny in my car, and customized the headlights in my F2, exmechanic in the NAVY) and am willing to give it a shot to save the money since I ride a lot.
Mattrazo? And when are you going to get your pictures up? dying to see someone elses 900SS. I need to do the same to show the few things I did to it. Looks cleaner now.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry, no idea on how to do this yourself, I was thinking of asking the same thing. I thought I read something about that either here or on esportbike.com though.

I know a guy who sells Ducati/Yamaha for a living. He has a '98 916 with over 20kmi. on it. He wants to sell it to me, but other than the fact that I have my Katana and $1,000 to spend on his $11,000 bike, he says he's yet to do a valve job!!!!

He says his bike has run perfect since day one, and he's afraid to have anybody crack it opened! (What does that say about the competence of my dealer's service department?)

This valve job thing is a serious thorn in my Ducati deam, so if amyone has info on how to do this themselves, lay it on us, PLEASE! I don't have a Ducati yet, but someday...

------------------
I WILL have a Ducati!

·
Registered
440 Posts
http://members.home.net/desmodue/2v/maint/adjust/index.html

Chris' site has a wealth of information on Ducatis, including the valve adjustment procedure referenced above. I haven't done this myself, but it looks more tedious than difficult. Monster Mom and I will find out when she gets her M750 to the 5k mark.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monstermom, hurry up and ride it! I want to know.
I almost side with the guy selling the bike. My 900 is faster and pulls stronger than a 3000 miles. I don't trust the dealers (ducati) in town because my ex roomie worked there for a while. He also is known for biased and bad service. I won't take my bike there.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
CSS996 said:
...I know a guy who sells Ducati/Yamaha for a living. He has a '98 916 with over 20kmi. on it. He wants to sell it to me, but other than the fact that I have my Katana and $1,000 to spend on his $11,000 bike, he says he's yet to do a valve job...

That's amazing. How many quarts of oil does he get to the mile? Hmm...20K with no service? It may just be worth that $1,000 bucks and your Katana.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts