Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how a 1,000cc V-Twin Suzuki SV1000S matches up against a 600cc In Line 4 Cylinder Honda CBR600RR. I know these two bikes make power a lot differently, and I know that the V-Twin is going to have more torque. I guess what I am getting at is which bike has more horsepower, and just overall power? Also, which bike can really get up and get going from a stop? Where is the powerban on these two bikes? Any information that you could give me would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
675 Posts
most 2cyl will have more torque than the 4cyl's.

The SV will have more power in lower RPM's then the CBR. But once you get the CBR ripping in higher RPM's it works well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I currently own both engine types, although the 4 cyl is an older 900rr. The 996 ducati has a very flat torque curve compared to the RR. It's interesting because the output of both engines in terms of torque and horsepower are almost identical.

They are completely different in terms of how they feel when riding. The 996 is deceptively fast, in that when you roll on the throttle, the response is very linear, i.e. no noticeable steps in the powerband. So it doesn't "feel" like you are going fast (until you look at the speedo.)

For my own riding style, I have to say I think the V-twin makes the better street oriented powerplant. Plus, twins sound way cool.

·
Registered
460 Posts
my buddy got an 05 SV 650, about the same time I got my 05 r6. We raced from a roll on at about 20. It was really no contest. For maybe a 1/4 of sec he was pulling on me, then I went by him on one wheel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if we're talking straight line speed, the I-4 should win all the time. If you're riding a twin, you have to figure out how to be faster by going slower. You have to really work on your corners (exits especially). A twin will roll on the power more smoothly than an I-4. A lot of people like them (twins) for the street because they fell more powerful down low (stops, street speeds, corners, etc.). An RC51 rider told me that when he would gun it with some I-4's, he'd pull away so quick that once the I-4's got into their powerband, he was already GONE!

Most people will agree that a twin will make the mediocre (sp) rider faster (because you can stay in "lower" rpms than the I-4's in corners) on the track.

hope that kind of helps

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
my buddy got an 05 SV 650, about the same time I got my 05 r6. We raced from a roll on at about 20. It was really no contest. For maybe a 1/4 of sec he was pulling on me, then I went by him on one wheel.
It's not just because the type of engine or torque, but SV only makes about 70 HP. lol. I think more fair comparison would be something like your bike VS SV1000.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a TL1000S V-Twin. It's fun factor is amaizing all around. If you are looking for a bike where you just open the throttle and the power is there on your demand the SV is the bike for you.

The twin is not a high revving engine like the 600's.

The SV will make around [email protected] and [email protected] .

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
In all honesty I dont believe it makes much of a difference. You got to get used to a different form of riding. A race I4 will be useless below 4-5l rpm, but you will have at least 10k rpm above that to play with, if not more. A performance v=twin will also suffer in the low end dept, but not as bad, however you will have a much lower red line, thus your total range is smaller. I4's will require more downshifts (often more then one gear at a time) while twins will force you to upshift more. The power is still hidden near redline regardless of the engine configurations. If you have good clutch skills you can have a great deal of fun on either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 03 sv1000 the sv1000 has 112hp and 70 ftlbs of torque a 03 cbr600rr has 105.5 hp and 43.7 lbs of torque. the sv1000 runs a 10.9 @126mph in the 1/4 mile and the cbr runs a [email protected] these stats are from motorcyclist. My sv1000 pulls hard at just about any rpm in any gear above 2500 rpm. when passing cars the bike builds speed realy fast when passing a car downshift to 3rd gear roll on the throttle and let off before you catch the car to avoid going over 100mph. It comes off the line realy hard how hard depends on how you dare launch it.
I have never ridden a modern I4 so i couldn't realy explain the diference.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'd say an '03 600RR qualifies as a modern inline 4

·
Registered
427 Posts
Vash said:
... The power is still hidden near redline regardless of the engine configurations. If you have good clutch skills you can have a great deal of fun on either.
+1 that

Since I just recently acquired SV650S, I am still exploring the differences in behavior between I4 (Bandit) and V-twin (SV). I gave up on comparing them to the similarly displaced Savage 650 thumper :twofinger

From reading the Motorcyclist reviews of SV650S, I guess I was expecting a complete miracle of a motorcycle that pulls equally hard from 2000RPM to 1000RPM redline, and that you could slow down to 10 MPH in fifth gear and keep riding like nothing to it. I guess mechanics don't really work out that way. The bike still chokes if the gear is too high for the speed you are going. The choking is more pronounced, actually, than what I would experience with similar gear/speed mismatch on I4 powered bike. You also have to drop a gear or two if you want to pass quickly, which again, I would not have to on a miracle bike ;)

Don't get me wrong, I think that SV is far superior bike to the Bandit, mainly because Bandit's I4 engine is not quite the same 600cc as GSXR600 or CBR600RR, or even F4i. I just wanted to make a comment about so many glowing reviews for SV650 that made me expect something from it that was simply not realistic for any bike. I definitely do like how SV accelerates from 4000RPM. It may not even BE faster, but it definitely FEELS like it!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That is true, but if you go down to 3rd or 4th gear coasting at 10 mph, you could still get a decent (but lazy) pull compared to I4. Only difference is, I4 refuses to pull in high gear where as SV will start jerking when reapplying the throttle. I've found that when passing more than 2 cars (in close distance), I have to short shift to higher gear because I run out of rpm. 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration feels about the same. I4 is different in this sense that no gear ever feels the same.

It received great reviews because the bike is very easy to ride, good power, great handling. But personally, I prefer the acceleration and engine braking of the I4, to me it's smoother.

·
Registered
577 Posts
oh shit! heres my two cents worth. A 600cc supersport makes huge power numbers for displacement they're good little motors, but they wont compare in real world riding to a 1000 cc v- twin. A suzuki sv 1000 makes big torque numbers at what 6500 to 8000 rpm. a 600 has to spin up to 12000 rpm before it is near peak torque and max HP is what; 14000-15000 rpm great if that is how you ride, and if you spend lots of time on the racetrack, not that i wouldn't consider a 600cc bike. My z1000 has good power in the middle but it still doesnt hit hard until 8000 rpm. the larger the displacement a I-4 has the better. if you wan't a bike that is light and makes a ton of power on top get a 600-750cc I-4 If you want to spend alot of time spinning your back wheel get a 1000cc or bigger I-4 if you just want to ride and don't want to row the gearbox alot get a twin, there are pluses to both motor types, if you are concerned about acceleration performance, you'll be happier with a I-4, if you ride discustingly tight roads in the mountains you'll be happier with a supermotard, or a smaller v-twin the lighter the bike in the tight stuff the better.:2cents:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 1000rr and aprilia falco
we all know that the 1000rr is 4 cyl
and the falco is a v-twin
In my experience the 1000rr is faster top end
however if you are like me and just like to hit the corners....
I think the falco is a better bike
its slower power curve will really let you manage your corners better...
I also agree with what was said in a previous thread....
I have in some cases I have been on my falco and thrashed on it enough to get ahead of my friend who rides a Raven R1 and stay ahead of him..
However the down side to that is the v-twins when they are thrashed on in first gear have a tendency to pull the front tire off the ground...fun....fun

·
Registered
166 Posts
Atown313 said:
I was wondering how a 1,000cc V-Twin Suzuki SV1000S matches up against a 600cc In Line 4 Cylinder Honda CBR600RR. I know these two bikes make power a lot differently, and I know that the V-Twin is going to have more torque. I guess what I am getting at is which bike has more horsepower, and just overall power? Also, which bike can really get up and get going from a stop? Where is the powerban on these two bikes? Any information that you could give me would be much appreciated.
YOU left out the V4 engines

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Re: V-Twin vs. In Line 4

Nailer45 said:
YOU left out the V4 engines

not since he was asking about v-twins and i-4's only....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Of the modern sportbikes >600cc how many of them can you use to their fullest on the road. MMmm Not many. Unless you are looking for straight line fun, it doesn't really matter what size of bike you get. It will depend on the rider. I ride with a guy that will kill me on his Kaw500 in the twisties. Does that mean I am a bad rider. No but he is a way better rider than me. Does that mean I am slow in the corners. No, it is just like a comparison of a Haden to your local track hero rider. Put haden on a crap bike and your local hero on a great bike and Haden will still out ride him.

Unless of course you just want to go fast in a straight line.

Get a bike that you like comfort wise, style wise, ego wise and then setup the suspension & take a riding class to get faster.

http://aprilia.rsvmille.home.comcast.net/bikes/suspension_guide.htm

V2 Great down low & better for street great sound
V4 Great Mid and fantastic sound (uncorked) http://aprilia.rsvmille.home.comcast.net/bikes/ssswingsound.htm
I-4 Everyone has one and just work well

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I've been away from this site for about 3yrs now and the same old debate is still raging.

It's like Deja Vu.

Next thing your know, someone will start an OIL thread and it will really get bloody:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts