Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first bike was a Yamaha YZ125 and I learned quick and have been riding for 2 years..I love the thing! well now me and some buds are going to get street bikes. My gramps "Harley Rider" never like buying used cause you don't know who beat the crap out of it and how much $$ you will have to put in. I am going to take some courses on riding before I hit the streets. I was thinking of getting a new Yamaha R6 ? or should I look into a later year used bike? If you have any questions just let me know... thanks

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm guessing you got the term "crotch rocket" from Gramps. Remove it from your vocabulary immediately.
I will leave it to the capable users of this forum to inform you that buying a new R1 as a first street bike is asinine.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
WELL used like 97 ish is a good place to look. Save 4-5 grand and get a new bike in 1-2 years after getting most of your money back out of the first bike even though you dropped it a couple times.

Gramps is worried because Harleys don't hold up very well. Japanese bikes that run well on a test ride and look like they're solid, most likely are solid. Not that a used bike won't need some maint., just not enough to justify buying new.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Apex has it put down quite well.

You should know enough about normal wear (chains, sprockets, fork seals, etc) so look into a good used bike of around '97.
Out amongst the cage drivers it is a different world & so is the terrain even though it is sort of paved PLUS speed becomes a factor is staying upright at the starting stab into this line of bike.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's a common myth going on that a supersport class 600cc bike is a good starter bike:confused: :rolleyes:

Anybody who starts on the street on a GSXR-600, F4i, ZX-6R, or R6 is begging for the reaper! I'm not rippin on ya man, it's just that I commonly hear that it's OK:rolleyes: for beginning street riders to start on a 600 SS.

The bottom line is: 600's are in the same general classification as superbikes on the street. Under 100 mph it's a little hard to seperate a 600 from the superbikes for performance and acceleration. The 600's nowadays are too powerful and at 357-390 lbs. dry weight, they are way too wheelie prone for a new street rider.

Start off with something used in the street class. After 2000 miles of sucessful travel, then consider a 600. Avoid the R6 and GSX-R. The Kawi ZX-6R and F4i are more user friendly..

Take Care and be safe :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Well get one if you can afford it. Just don't expect it to be pristine in a year. We're not saying not to get one. Just why learn on a full price bike. You make the decision based on your budget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
apexismaximus said:
And please scratch 'crotch rocket' from your profile under your avatar.:D :D
hehe yeah did that..i'm learning...well I just think if I do get a used bike, I won't know who beat the piss out of it or whats wrong with it. If I get new then I would feel better, but then again i'd probably feel like more shit if I drop it. You guys are startin to scare me with tellinmme that :barf: oh btw ..I broke my hand so sorry for the 5th grade english...just hard to type with one hand :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started with a 94 CBR F2. Had it a year and totaled it. Before that it was droped a couple of times by different people. It is not if you drop it..... Its When you drop it..

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I 'beat the shit' out of my bike on a near daily basis. I bought it with 3000 miles on it and it now has 18000. These bikes can take a lot of abuse and still be fine because they were made to withstand such use. That's why I said that if it's running well when you check it out at a sellers house/shop etc, it PROBABLY will run just as well for a very long time.

There's always a chance of getting screwed when buying used I admit, so if you don't know much about bikes try to get someone who does to look at it for you.

Do a search on things to look for when buying used. I think there was a thread on that before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts