Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen guys put sweatbands on their brake fluid res. What's up with that?

Is brake fluid sensitive to light or something?

·
Registered
892 Posts
i think its just a case of "mad retard disease" going around.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Most do it now to look cool. It use to be fairly common on racebikes back in the 80s and 90s and I believe it was done to soak up any leakage but I'm not positive on that reason but I do know there was a practical reason back then. Now it's just a poser thing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

My guess is because brake fluid can ruin a paintjob nearly instantly. It could prevent corrosive drips.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Just because a bike is pink doesn't mean the rider or bike is gay! My bike is case and point lol:D I've seen the sweat bands once or twice as well, but on harleys and import cruisers. I thought it was to catch leakage as well. I haven't seen it on any SB's though, I'll have to keep an eye out.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It was done on race bikes to ensure spillage would not contact anything it could damage. I know the brake fluid in my zx will not harm paint. I think it's just DOT3 thats the paint killer. Could be wrong but I do know that not all break fluid will eat paint.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I already answered this question. Do we need to lock all threads when I get done. :D :p

PS: Synthetic brake fluids won't damage paint. The rest will.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Bike "accessorizing"

Leather tassles, feathers, bells, fur, and now sweatbands! Jeez, what idiotic thing will people come up with next?!

STOP THE INSANITY!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Resevoir accessorizing

Start a new trend, cover it with wallpaper.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
LVJT said:
now what do i do? i hate the way my plastic resevoir looks but I'm a poser if I cover it up?
1. Take old baked bean can and clean throughoughly.

2. Puch small hole in bottom of can.

3. Fix a small nozzel to the bottom of the can through the hole.

4. Mount in place of "ugly plastic resevoir".

5. Fill with brake fluid and cruise in style:twofinger

·
Registered
29 Posts
okay, i'm working on the can mod. Will Dennison's chile be okay for this? It says it has beans in it but I'm not really a big fan of beans.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It would work, but you don't get the added benifit of the can being designed to preserve the natural protien within the standard "baked bean". If your willing to settle for a loss of 15% of your breaking power just because you don't like beans, then by all means go at it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You could also try a Spam can. The preservative properties that they display does wonders for DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluid. Do not use a Spam can with DOT 5 fluid, the results have proven explosive in some situations.:D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Modern sportbikes put out about 100-110 hp. They accelerate and go really fast. Remember back in highschool PE when you had to run the mile? The faster you tried to run it, the sweatier you would be in the end. Try running the mile at 160mph, accelerating from 0-60 in 2 seconds. You'd be pouring sweat! So the riders are just being considerate to their sportbikes and provide them with something to soak up the sweat. It also lets other people know that they push their bikes really hard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts