Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across the March issue of Cycle Canada. To find, of all things, an article about Pierlucio Tinazzi. Who you say, well I was the same.

M/c mags do not waste eight pages on a no-body. Yet there are eight pages on the above person a m/cist.

How many of you remember the fire in the tunnel of Mont Blanc Tunnel back in March 24th '99?

Some 50 people trapped in there & died, YET one m/cist grabbed an airpac, went in & out some 11Klicks both ways to save the lives of 12 of them, one at the time as they rode pillion on his bike, that basicllly said "That guy on the motorcycle saved my life". He died in trying to drag out the last trucker (could not get him to ride pillion on his bike) & went for a so called safety notch #20 only it was not fireproofed.

While he was awaraded the FIM Gold Medal for distinction & Italian Govt the highest honour for a civilian. A plaque, in his name, is placed on the Italian side.

Of interest when a writer tried to find out about him most did not know much if anythig about him & the one photo that was very poor in any standard.

So he died as a sort of hero that most did not take much notice of in real life other then he was very keen on m/cs. A very interesting article.

·
Registered
645 Posts
wow... I'm gonna have to find that article.... it's kinda amazing what people are capable of when they stop thinking about themselves and put others first... too bad they always seem to perish doing it...:(

Is the article online by chance?
Thanks Smitty

:cheers:

~B~

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I'm surprised by the lack of information on him, and the lack of news sources telling the story, at least online. Thanks for posting this one Smitty, I'll check out the article in a campus library.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Wow. Looks like there still are some hero's out there.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
its unfortunate that he perished but it was certainly very noble of him to do that.

just for my own perspective, how far is a Klick?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chap that went out to try & dig up the info was simply amazed that so few knew him & to most he was a nothing person, none knew what his personal bike was, though he had a job with the tunnel people & so was riding their BMW which they us to patrol through the tunnel.

The photo of him was simply lousy, & even his bosses knew little about him.

He was someone that others took no notice of till he went in & out of the dense smoke to pick up each of the 12 people, one at a time to ride pillion on his bike. The last being the trucker that could NOT get on the bike & feeling he had a sort of safe nook that is where he dragged him & they parished for the BMW also melted down----yet he could have left the trucker & rode out safely & been a live hero.

About the only thing is he seemed to have a small garden he took great care of & often gave others the vegitables.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts