Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any road this bike on the high way it vibrates so much its not funny. My bike top's out at 110 wich is more like 90. on the interstate the Speed O was on 85 and a bus passed me like I was not moving. This was my 1st bike but I did not know I would out grow it in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
WOW! You're not doing SOMTHING right. You're either very talented, or you're not telling the whole story. Keep this small bit of trivial info in mind: SV based bikes pump out around 65 rear wheel horses. My built NT puts out a little less than that, and it's capable of a good 125 on a GPS. AND, SVs do on occasion, beat DUC 748s in PRO-THUNDER.

S

·
0 Posts
748 abuser said:

Sure they do.:rolleyes:
I once knew a guy who had a purple EX500 that would eat R1's in a straight line. It was the king of the 1/4 mile for years until it vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

But it's still out there ...... somewhere ......

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Sv650s4sale said:
has any road this bike on the high way it vibrates so much its not funny. My bike top's out at 110 wich is more like 90. on the interstate the Speed O was on 85 and a bus passed me like I was not moving. This was my 1st bike but I did not know I would out grow it in 3 weeks.
There is definitely something wrong. My wife's SV will top that speed with no problem and there isn't a significant amount of vibration. She has the naked version so there is alot of wind in the face but not alot of vibration. A few of our friends with lots of sportbiking experience have ridden it and will also say it is one of the funner bikes on the road.

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like your SV is not hitting 6th gear. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True I was at the top of 5th but the way the rearend was vibrating I could not dream of going any faster.

Another problem is b/c the bike is so light if there is a cross wind it feels like your going to fall.

It is a great around town bike but on the freeway riding with F4's and R6's its not the best thing its not smooth and not fast.

·
Registered
766 Posts
So let me get this straight. The SV is your first bike and because you want something faster in a straight line, that means you've outgrown it? Do you and your friends ride corners at all? Purchasing more power so you can "keep up" will turn you into a statistic in a short amount of time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to bring your bike in and have it checked out. If you already have, maybe you need to take it someplace else. There are probably a bunch of wrench heads in this forum that can suggest some things to check yourself. You said the top speed sucked but you also said you were too concerned about the vibration to get out of fifth gear. Sounds like the real problem is the vibration. I have a friend who had a SV and it wasn't exactly slow both in town and on the free way. However, he did trade his sv in for an aprillia falco because he wanted something with a lot more power. I've been on organized sportbike rides where experienced guys on sv's were able to stay with other people on various types of bigger sportbikes. I'm talking about high speed country road riding. This leads me to beleive that there is something uniquely wrong with your situation. Might be worth not getting rid of the bike just yet.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I agree with tigertex, there is something else wrong with your bike. Rear wheel out of alignment or not tight enough,out of balance, etc. Like I said, I have had ours cranking out some speed in 6th and never had a bad vibration. That bike will not keep up with the current 600cc bikes in a straigt line but can, not only keep up with them in the tight curves, it can spank them if their pilot isn't an above average street rider. :)

BTW, the SV650(which is lighter than the S) is only about 7lbs lighter than the current 600cc sportbikes so that will have little effect from sidewinds. My RC and my fat ass feel like they are in trouble with a good crosswind. Without much bodywork, 650S is probably at a slight advantage in crosswinds.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at the dealer and asked about the high speed vibrations and they said the bike was not built to run with other 600's. Next week im going to take it in for the 600 mile service maybe they will find some thing and fix it then.

No we dont ride curves much were in South East Arkansas the guys I was with were runing 130-140 need less to say I was 10-15mins late every where we went.

I was thinking about selling the bike now and in the fall and get a CBR 900 and put it in my dad's name so the insurance would be low b/c im 19.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Check it again

Sv650s4sale said:
True I was at the top of 5th but the way the rearend was vibrating I could not dream of going any faster.
Have you checked your tire pressure lately? True, the suspension is a bit... soft. But I've never felt what you're talking about. (maybe it was the road? Some of the roads out here aren't totally smooth, and I get some worrisome vibrations on occasion. But it's always proven to be the road. Watch the rear axle on the cars in front of you. Are they bouncing too?)

Another problem is b/c the bike is so light if there is a cross wind it feels like your going to fall.
Welcome to motorcycling. You'll feel like that on just about any bike.

It is a great around town bike but on the freeway riding with F4's and R6's its not the best thing its not smooth and not fast.
What did you expect? An R6?
Honey, you bought a V-twin, not an inline 4. The SV has the power output of about a 500. You can't possibly expect it to have as high a top speed as an F4 or an R6. When you're in low RPM's, the bike is really sensitive. When you shift, because of the torquie V-twin motor, you're gonna feel it.

You've obviously never ridden in twisties, because you wouldn't be unhappy with your SV if you had. These bikes eat twisties for lunch, and with your better low end power, you stand a good chance of walking away from your friends on their F4's and R6's.

If I'm wrong in all of this, then you bought a lemon, or you've messed with it and you aren't saying, or your mechanic is a hacker.

-Erica

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Sv650s4sale said:
I was at the dealer and asked about the high speed vibrations and they said the bike was not built to run with other 600's. Next week im going to take it in for the 600 mile service maybe they will find some thing and fix it then.
Good call

No we dont ride curves much were in South East Arkansas the guys I was with were runing 130-140 need less to say I was 10-15mins late every where we went.

I was thinking about selling the bike now and in the fall and get a CBR 900 and put it in my dad's name so the insurance would be low b/c im 19.
My husband rode my (stock) SV up to 130 mph. With speedo error, that's somewhere between 120 and 125 mph. I've gotten up to around 110 mph. No abnormal vibration.

If you are 19, have only 600 miles of riding under your belt and go and buy a 929 because you want to beat your buddies in a straight line, then you WILL hurt yourself.

The SV is one of the most forgiving bikes to learn to ride WELL on. If you sell it for the reasons you stated, you are exposing yourself to even more harm than normally exists when riding.

-Erica

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember when I first got my SVs it felt a little 'rough' above 5k, but since it was still in the break period I hardly ever went above 5k. After it's first service everything felt real smooth, sort of... Cruising at 6k the handlebars vibrate feel like something that requires 'D' size batteries.

As previously stated, the SV is not the fastest thing out there but it sure is fun in the turns. :cool:

-Leave earlier-

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Sv650s4sale said:
I was at the dealer and asked about the high speed vibrations and they said the bike was not built to run with other 600's.
If this is all they had to say about what sounds like a serious vibration problem, I would find someplace else to take it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Stake said:
I would find someplace else to take it.
I totally agree! They sound like some real Pete's (total dipshits).

I went home last night and thumbed through a bunch of magazines that reviewed the SV. Granted, they won't run with the RR 600's (F4i, R6, GSXR, etc.) on the highway, but they're at the top of the heap for standards and will hang with, and beat the others in the tighter stuff. The tests did show an actual top speed of 133mph (pretty respectable). Not one of them mentioned or complained of vibration.

Do yourself a favor. Get a second opinion... fast.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You mentioned that you were going to take your bike in for the 600 mile service and you have problems keeping up with R6s and F4s? Do you think this may have anything to do with not breaking in you bike properly? Sounds like you haven't followed Suzuki's break-in guide lines;)!

·
Registered
309 Posts
gsxr750y2k said:
You mentioned that you were going to take your bike in for the 600 mile service and you have problems keeping up with R6s and F4s? Do you think this may have anything to do with not breaking in you bike properly? Sounds like you haven't followed Suzuki's break-in guide lines;)!

:eek: Good Point!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts