Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed recently that when cruising at 70 MPH, my '87 Ninja 600R has developed a vibration. It seems that it started about the time that I changed the rear tire. I took the wheel in to the dealer and asked them to mount the tire and balance it. I don't know if it was balanced incorrectly or if it has do do with alignment, or maybe the fact that the front and rear are not compatible.

The vibration is rhythmic, meaning it seems to start at the front of the bike and move to the rear at regular intervals. I do not notice it below 70 MPH as much.

Since it started at the same time that the rear tire was changed, I feel that they have to be related. I just don't know how to fix it. I appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have! Thanks!

------------------
John E. Dawson
http://home.interpath.net/banker/ninjapage.htm

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I've been told that you're not supposed to have two different types of tire on your bike. The front and rear should match. If you have a mismatch, you could have a vibration. Anyone else have any info on this? I don't know if that info is accurate, or if the informer was on crack. Help Mr. Outer Banks out here fellas/ladies.

------------------
~Nick
Hey squid, wanna race? No, not down that straight road...we're gonna hit the twisties. Hey, where ya' goin'?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Assuming the tires are compatible, almost certainly an improperly balanced tire or the wheel is not aligned correctly in the swingarm.

------------------

G

·
I also have a 600R , What tires do you have on it ??

I can't remember What I have in the frot .. Bridgestone ?? But it is Shit! I will put a new K591 to match the rear...

Also I removed my fairings the other day and noticed a bolt missing in the behind the headlight subframe... and Tighten all frame bolts, Mine were loose also...

let us know :)

------------------
Watch out where those Huskies go , Don't you eat that yellow snow ....

Adam

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I would definitley take it back to the shop
that installed the tire. It's highly
probable that they goofed somehow - as Leon
said.

Chris

------------------
I really should be working...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar problem on my old 85 GPz 600R (Ninja). It took me ages to find it, I checked the swing arm, head bearings, alingment, tyre condition all ok. then I found it - tyre pressure was too low on the front, thats all it was + the tyre was about 3/4 worn.

It still pays to check all of the above though. :)

My swingarm needed some attention, as the pivot point had gone oval.

*note I never ran the same tyres on my bike (still don't).

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I noticed a thump in my front end the other day as well. The front tire was changed in the last month or so. I went through the check list: tire pressure?, suspension the same?, anybody been throwing footballs at the front rim? and then I noticed the balancing weight came off of the rim. A balanced wheel runs smoother than a non.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everybody's help. The tire that I have on the front is a Dunlop, and it is probably half worn. It has some very small cracks in the sidewall that someone told me was from age. I bought the bike used, so I don't know how long the tire has been on it. The rear is new (different brand) and it seems that I noticed the vibration once I put the new rear on the bike.

This weekend, I am going to check all of the items that have been mentioned. The alignment may be wrong. I am also going to run my hand around the front tire to see if I feel any lumps or cupping in it. When I feel the vibration in the handle bars, I can look down and see the front suspension really working, then it seems that the vibration moves towards the rear of the bike. The bike is smooth for a second and it the vibration starts again.

The bike is a lot less fun and more tiring to ride with the vibration. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. The nice folks around here are why sportbikeworld.com continues to rule!

------------------
John E. Dawson

G

·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by obxninja:
The tire that I have on the front is a Dunlop, and it is probably half worn. It has some very small cracks in the sidewall that someone told me was from age.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't ride for another mile on that tire. It sounds corny, but it's absolutely true - your tires are the only thing connecting you and your bike to the road. Don't skimp on 'em.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

G

·
Pete is 100% right. Cracked tires show dried rubber, Dried rubber doesn't have the same adhesion as new rubber... Get a K591 for the front its 100$ and your be safer.

I'll bet the tire is a Dunlop 205. :)(This tire blows more than RCjohn :D ;)) I had the same problem with the same tire... My bike would actually go into a tank slapper.
In the twisties I scared myself , the front end washed out slightly... I shit my pants :D

If you store your bike do you put it on the centerstand ??

------------------

Adam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are exactly right. The front is a D205. Shame to get rid of a tire with so much tread on it, but I defintely don't want a front tire to go out at speed! :eek:

Hey, does this sound right. :confused: I checked over the bike this afternoon really good and there are no wheel weights on the rear wheel on either side. I see scratches like where one used to be, but the bike is so old, who knows when that was. Is it ever possible that a wheel/tire are balanced when mounted and do not require the compensating weights? It doesn't sound right to me. Now I am starting to think that I need to have the rear balanced as well as have the front replaced.

Just curious, can a place that balances car tires balance a motorcycle tire on the same machine? We don't have a motorcycle repair place locally and it might save me a trip.

Thanks to everybody for helping me with my old dog of a bike. It's old, but it's paid for and it's mine! :)

------------------
John E. Dawson

·
Registered
987 Posts
Obx, in 20 years of riding & dozens of tire changes, I have only once gotten a tire that balanced without weights. In several instances, I have had weights that came off & left my tire out of balance. If you don't have any weights on your back tire, then that is probably a good place to start.
There is one car tire store here that does bikes. Get the phone book out & call a few. I would probably make sure that the rear is actually balanced first.
I also bought a used bike that had been sitting up for awhile, and even though the tires looked good, they had developed flat spots that couldn't be seen, but made the bike vibrate. Get a new front also. Bikes ride so much better on a new set of rubber. Good luck.

------------------

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
While your at it, make sure the chain isn't too tight. (btw, I rode an 86 600r for 13 years, 58k miles..pretty good bike, even for long trips).

------------------
-Yeeee-haaaaa!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have found a shop here locally that will balance my tire. I have to have it there at 8:00 in the morning, so I will be up at 6:30 taking the thing off the bike. :rolleyes:

Keith, thanks for the information on your experience with a Ninja. Mine has 25,000 miles and I am hoping that I can make it last to 50,000 miles.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon, I will be cruising at speed vibration free. :cool: Keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks for everyone's help!

------------------
John E. Dawson

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just returned from a very smooth ride on the Ninja! :) :) :) :)

The guy who balanced the tire for me said that it was way out of balance. :eek: He added a big weight on one side and now it rides smooth as glass. He also told me that I will need rear wheel bearings for the bike soon as he felt some drag in them. I will probably go ahead and get a new front tire too, just so I have a matched pair.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this thing figured out!!!! :D

------------------
John E. Dawson

·
Registered
873 Posts
Cool Cool

Aint it great when a problem with your bike is eliminated!?!

:)

------------------
Fear Green.

G

·
You should get a new tire OBX,

I just paid 92$ for a 120/80/16 Dunlop K591 for the front. That's canadian too!

------------------

Adam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts