Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that people today always buy a bike that they are not ready for?

This weekend in Fresno a guy was killed on a 2 day old '01 Gixxer 1000. A week earlier he rode a 600. He had no business being on the 1000.

The group that I ride was out for a ride up in the foothills with him. This guy was pushing himself to keep up with 2 'Busas, a Gixxer 750 and some other bikes. Most all of the riders aside from this guy had experience on their bikes over 8 months. They knew the limits of their bikes. He had his bike for 2 days. 2 Days! It took me 1 month to get comfortable on my VFR to go on the freeway.

My friend was on the 750 behind the guy and witnessed the whole thing.

He took a blind right hand turn to fast. He started at the inside of the turn and went out. He hit a bump in the road, locked up the front wheel and collided with a mini van. He was killed instantly.

What pisses me off about this is that the guy had no reason to be on that bike. If you want a bike that, more power to you. But at least learn what you can and can't do on it before you go flying around the foothills. Why is that so many people get bikes that are out of their league?

Sorry that I had to post this sad story, but it needs to be told. :(

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I hate to say it, but we knew it was going to happen with the new gixxer. :(

Sad post, but you're right Jester, it needed to be said.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You said he had a 600 before right? How long had he been riding that? That's a big jump, but not a crazy jump if you have your head on straight. I think this is a common problem with group rides. No one wants to be the slow poke and this guy with a new 1000 probably felt an obligation to keep up with the faster bikes (regardless of their riders talent). I think the real cause of the problem was riding with a group of riders too soon. Not that this guy was just an idiot for pushing his bike hard too soon. If he was by himself or just another friend it probably wouldn't have happened.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's all in the rider's head! He/She is the ultimate decision maker. If you put a dickhead on a 250 Ninja and throw him out on a canyon road, he'll probably crash.

It's sad that sportbikers die more often. But there's really not much you can do without negatively affecting the majority of riders who do ride within their abilities.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Had something like that happen around here over the weekend. 21 year old guy doing a wheelie, slammed into brick wall and was killed.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:
It's all in the rider's head! He/She is the ultimate decision maker. If you put a dickhead on a 250 Ninja and throw him out on a canyon road, he'll probably crash.
We Agree!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Riders fault but also you have to figure it is HARD to be the newbie of the group. No one wants to be last or wants to make the group slow down because of them.

My friends brother in law bought a 97cbr 600 and only had 1day of riding before he went out with our group. Myself and one of our best riders made DAMN sure he was doing ok and not pushing himself or uncomfortable with the roads and bike.
When we ride with people I always tend to stay with the more newbie riders even though I can ride just as hard as my friend on his 750gsxr.

Its a sad story and too bad but almost anyone could see that coming

·
Registered
609 Posts
An older 600 to a new GSXR1000 is a huge jump, very dangerous and would require TOTAL CONCENTRATION. I 'm sure the guy was more worried about being bugged about finishing last on the hottest bike, than about riding withing his limits and getting used to the bike.

Sad thing is, there'll be more stories like this, but hopefully not too many about the gsxr1000. Out here the dealers are selling them, but so far only older riders are getting them. One dealer had 3 sold but 2 went to 50 yr olds, and the other to a 30 something year old.

I think the real problem will be the newbies getting a r6, etc and thinking they're on a good beginner's bike. R6's were dropping like flies last year.

anyways, like the signature says.......

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
As far as the jump from a 600 to 1000, I jumped from the R6 to the R1 and thought nothing of it. As a matter of fact I thought the R1 was a little slower then all the talk (at first).

It's a shame but it sounds like this guy's ego is what got him killed and that happens alot. If I know someone is struggling, I slow down.

I've been leading several times where someone in the back was struggling to keep up and wound up running wide. I know it's not my fault the rider wiped out but I can't help but feel somewhat responsible.

This is why I usually ride with one other person or solo. I really feel for his friends and family, that's a terrible loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now don't get offended by this question, since I don't know all the details of how your group rides go, but did anyone stop him and give him the lowdown on riding in his limits? I'm not pointing fingers, but isn't there some shared responsibility when riding in a group? Everyone gets a little wild occasionally, but it's up to our riding partners to splash a little cold water in our face and wake our asses up, hopefully before something like this happens.

The groups I ride in come down hard on any other rider who is obviously pushing outside their limits. If they want to ride that way, they can do it solo on their time not ours. Nothing ruins a good group ride faster than some idiot in over their head, since somebody else is gonna have to clean up when they bin it.

It's sad when something like this happens, but is there something we as riders can do to prevent it?

Tom

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
This is a sad thing to hear but......
I have to agree with some others in here that it is not the bike that killed him. A large CC bike has a lot a hidden power that a new rider might not be able to handle very well. However, it all comes down to the ego and responsibility of the rider. The person at the controls makes all the judgments and desisions.

I was one of the riders that fell behind on group rides at one time. However, I would keep in mind my limits and not push them. I knew that the people I rode with would wait and were always willing to help. I will help out begginer riders by following them and then helping them improve their techniques.

We have to remember that the ratio is 90% rider, 10% bike. I don't believe the 10% could have put the rider in his situation.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good deed

On a positive note... at least as positive as I can be under the circumstanes.

The club that I ride, that the guy was riding with when this all happend, held a car wash to help with funeral expenses. There was about 40 people there washing, vacuming and drying cars. All donations went to the family. Our target was $1700.... we raised close to $3000 in just under 7 hours!!

It was a good feeling to know that we helped as best we could under the curcumstances. :)

·
Squid
813 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but it was just a matter of time. He should have just been cruising it anyways during the break in period, not using all that power. Do you know what happened to the innocent people in the minivan? I hate when people are hurt or killed from someone else’s decision to push the envelope

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I was told everyone was ok in the van. The guy that was driving went into shock. but other than that he was ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
jk6672 said:
Sorry to hear that, but it was just a matter of time. He should have just been cruising it anyways during the break in period, not using all that power. Do you know what happened to the innocent people in the minivan? I hate when people are hurt or killed from someone else’s decision to push the envelope
I was waiting for someone to mention this!! Jesus... on my new ZX9 I had to put at least 100 miles on the tires before I could start to get a feel for their grip. Plus I had a 4k RPM rev limit for the first 500 miles.

The wax they say is on tires when you buy them... must be there cuz it was like driving on oil for awhile... and I had to start the leans gently to get the tires broken in on the sides too...

Somehow I doubt he was past the break in of the engine, suspension, tires, much less even begun the special blending of rider/bike we all feel as we start to feel out the limits of the particular combo.

I did the break-in on my bike alone partly so I wasn't tempted to keep up with people that had broken-in bikes that could push harder.

Sorry story, but I must say he made a whole string of very BAD choices that led to the result...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am sorry to hear about this and it is a terrible tragedy. However I don't think you can blame the bike he was on.
Two major points were he was struggling to keep up and most of all entering a blind right hand curve from the inside and drifting out. That right there is probably what got him killed. You have no room for adjustment or error when entering a curve like that.
Inexperience is definitely what was the major contributor to this tragedy. lets hope someone out there learns from this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts