Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since cold weather riding season is coming up for those of us in the fluctuating climates, I was looking for something to keep warm. I was checking out some gear from under armor in the cold weather section. $50 for a shirt, and the same for pants. Does anyone have an opinion on this stuff? If not, what do you wear for layering to keep warm. Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept_id=4

·
Registered
1 Posts
Under Armour

I use under armour and it rocks. I've never used the coldgear (I presume that's what you're talking about), but I use the heatgear for working out (t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, compression shorts). It is awesome stuff, very durable, and really lives up to its reputation. Hope this was helpful.

Drew

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I used to be in track and field, and so have worn running tights and a running shirt underneath. Its kept me warm, and wicked away moisture to prevent that nasty cooling effect. As long as you don't burn through to that layer in a crash, it works well down to about 45F for me.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I am often riding at temps around freezing , which means a hair below or above. I wear a cotten long sleeve jersy, double cotten drawers, heavy t-shirt, or loose fitting wool sweater. Sweats & under waxed cotten trousers while jacket is a Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 LONG (with the liner), a washroom towel around the neck to take care of any air that might want to sneak in or any rain that wants to run down. Long socks along with Danner Fort Lewis boots with Gore-Tex lining. Lastly a pair of Frank Thomas winter gauntlets. Also carry a large bandana if it is that cold to ward off fogging up the visor & my glasses.

Basically I am as warm as a bug for 3 to 6 hr runs. True this is not up to snuff of proper armor others feel is a 'must' but basically have been riding like this for around 57yrs. Remember the 'cold chill' factor slows down the rider to close to max speeds.

True that is some very interesting new gear out, but I have been using the above for some yrs & some will be updated to replace others as they wear out or prove not to be satisfactory for I am looking SERIOUSLY at the All Season riding gear by Belstaff.

One can only ride so long in the cold weather & once snow arrives the mess of gravel/sand/salt at all bends, all uphill/downhill parts of the roads & stop signs------ this elimiates the the chances of the m/cist staying upright not to mention the mess it will make to his bike, corroding, etc.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice post smitty. For the cost i would pay to buy some of the stuff you listed, I could just about buy this under armour stuff. The thing for me is that this gear will go for riding/hunting/snowboarding. So it's gonna be pretty all purpose. And I like the idea of something tight fiting for the first layer.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I actually just got home from my girls house and the temp right now is 36* F. My T-shirt, sweater, and HJC Retro 2 jacket kept my upper half suprisingly warm and comfortable... wish i could say the same for the rest of me.

As for the under armor... no, i dont have any experience with it. I usually layer up. Ill go on rides till about 45 degree weather and I just layer up: sweatpants, jeans, thermal shirt, tshirt, jacket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you really want to do some cold weather riding look into some of the electric gear. You can get a controler to turn up the heat as needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
UnderArmor Cold gear is great

As a new rider, I haven't had a chance to ride in really cold weather. But I've worn the UnderArmor COld Gear stuff for both winter camping, climbing & running. Its, soft, warm, wicks sweat & stays dry. Very, VERY form fitting. Only downside is that it gets stinky fast, like most synthetics.

I've always wondered..... When cold weather riding, is there a reason why warm outerwear couldn't be layered OVER your leathers? :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
ahh, seattle

Here in the PNW, we have many occasions to put rain gear on. Quite often, I put a rain shell and pants on over my leather suit. Obviously, it helps with the water, but as a wind blocking layer, it helps retain heat, too.

Only hot tip is to be sure you tuck in any hood the jacket may have. I hit I-90 and was blitzing down the onramp when FOOP-BAM! Hood popped out and did "dragster parachute" anchored around my neck. Distracting at best.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
To help stay warm while wearing leathers take a look at Gore-Tex shells that can go over lower & upper parts of the leathers for it will ward off a LOT of cold & help a lot in the rain. True you will have to buy several sizes over your leathers but so what it is going OVER your leathers so it is only natural.

Back in the 70s my Belstaff waxed cotten trousers (100% waterproof & windproof if serviced properly with paraffin & Johnson baby oil plus hair drying) went over my jeans, but in said 30 yrs I have put on weight & girth so only double cotten long drawers & sweats!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a waxed cotton jacket a few years back. That thing was the bizzomb.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Know what you mean Tippman for I have been wearing Barbour & Sons & now Belstsff since '47. Still several old ones still hanging around & one new Belstaff Trailmaster Pro jacket only it was sent one size to small (CH 110 cm) & never did get around to sending it back so it still is hung up. Darn thing cost me $350.00 four yrs ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i got my joe rocket with the liner in it...and when it gets below 50 i put my snowboarding jacket on over it. i also switch from the racing gloves to the winter thermalite gloves. a bit bulky and stiff....but the fingers appreciate it. with that set-up, i'm good to around the mid to high 40s.

as far as my lowers...i rarely ever ride out in the cold for any longer than 30ish minutes to get to a destination...so i never where anything other than pants. if it were to get below 50 and i was going for any more than 30 minutes, then good 'ol long johns come out of the drawer.

now with technology...the electric gear is the way to go. electric pants (chaps) whatever...and the electric vest, and you're good to the 30 degree rangewith no problem.

if you can handle the pins and needles for a few minutes as your face becomes numb and frozen...then you're all good for a long ride.

don't forget the nice wool socks either...those are nice :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got an under armour cold weather shirt. It's gonna come in handy now that it's 70 in november.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The cold gear is great. I used it when I played baseball in high school and it kept my body very warm at about 30 F, so i'd assume it would be great for when it gets below zero also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts