Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I had the craziest day of motorcycling ever, and I didn't get more then 2 miles from my house.

The day started with a plan to meet up with a good friend to ride to Canyon early in the morning. 7:30 am, I am in my full leathers, heading out, the birds are chirping, the air is cool. Looks like a great day for a ride. One and a half miles from my house, the bike starves out, and dies. I turn, and coast down a side street, and stop. It cranks over, but there is not a sputter from the engine. "Great." I pull the cell phone out, leave a message for my riding partner that the ride is off, and start hoofing it home.

Picture this.... Bright green sportbike, full leathers and race boots, middle of rush hour, pushing the bike down the sidewalk. Just a little embarrasing. The worst was the guy on the harley that rode by and laughed at me... "Yea, Laugh it up." I though. "The ONE time you see a broke down sportbike, might as well enjoy it, buddy." Half a mile later, this bike is HEAVY. The sun is beating down, where did the wind go? Could someone shut up these damn birds? Crap these leathers are hot.

After I had pushed the bike 3/4 of a mile, an attractive blonde stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. I said, no, I was okay. She insisted, so I accepted the ride. I left my bike on the sidewalk, and she dropped me off at home. She seemed interested in hanging out and chatting, but I don't think my girlfriend would be okay with that, so I politely thanked her for the ride, and got out. I changed, grabbed the truck, and went back for the bike.

Once the bike was safely back in the garage, it became apparent that the battery was quite dead. This was only after looking for clogged jets, or a bad fuel pump. After a quick trip to the store for a battery, the bike was back in business. Just to be safe, we threw some B-12 Chemtool in the tank, to clean the carbs.

Put the bike back together, topped her up with gas, and we decided to continue with our ride. The plan was to follow Josh (my riding partner) to his house, so he could don his leathers, and jump on his bike. The bike idled for a while in the garage, and reved smoothly, so we headed out. Turning onto the freeway, 2 miles from home, I was stuck behind a minivan. When the car in the inside line passed the minivan, I dropped into that lane and cracked the throttle. It was at this point that it happened but I didn't become aware for a moment. As I clicked third, all of a sudden, I felt intense heat through my leathers on my left leg. I looked down, expecting to see spraying coolant or oil.

I was NOT prepared for what I did see.

Bright orange flames spewed from under my seat, enveloping my leg, and continuing out for another foot or so.

I instantly hit the kill switch and jumped up onto the tank to get clear of the flames. I swung over the shoulder and stopped, jumped off the tank (managed to get it on the kickstand) and began tearing off my gloves and helmet. Josh had pulled over behind me. Apparently, he saw the flames long before I did, and had been honking trying to get my attention. I was yelling.. asking if he had a fire extinguisher in his jeep. no, but he had already thought this process through (he'd had a little more time then me), and reminded me of the water bottle I had packed in my trunk. I recoverd the key from the ignition, and removed the seats while trying not to get burned. The water doused the flames.

I walked around aimlessly for a few moments in total shock. We assumed that when we had removed the tank earlier, and checked the fuel bowls for fuel, the small dribbles of gas that had dropped onto the block had ignited. We washed it down with the rest of the water and assumed that it was okay to continue.

Mistake #2.

I climbed back aboard the bike, to ride it carefully home and do a full inspection. I accelerated slowly and carefully. This time, when I clicked 4th (only going 40 mph) the heat returned. According to Josh, this fireball was much bigger then the first. I repeated the process of pulling quickly over, and removing the seats quickly to gain access to the fire.

There was only a tiny bit of water left. It wasn't enough. THERE WAS FIRE COMING OUT OF THE VENT TUBE FROM THE TANK. A handfull of dirt finished the job. This time we left the bike, drove home in the jeep, and got the truck.

Result:

My tank is from a california model bike, my bike is a 49 state model. I had jumpered the inlet and outlet for the charcol canister on the back of the tank. This jumper vanished some months ago, and when the tank was SUPER full, some fuel would splash out of these vents. Remember that I had filled the tank before heading back out. In the past, this fuel was not flammable enough to be a problem. Turns out that B-12 is nothing but the MOST flammable petroleum distillates (xylene, toluene, etc..). This caused the fuel that dripped out to be explosive.

Lesson: Fix your leaks, and DO NOT USE B-12 Chemtool unless you are building a Rocket!!!

·
Registered
471 Posts
DAY-UHM!!!! that is one crazy story. I'm glad to hear your alright. how is the bike looking now? hope it isn't too crispy. i bet you'll never look at a bike flame-graphics quite the same way again!

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris Sedition said:
DAY-UHM!!!! that is one crazy story. I'm glad to hear your alright. how is the bike looking now? hope it isn't too crispy. i bet you'll never look at a bike flame-graphics quite the same way again!

-chr|s sedition
The bike survived remarkably unscathed. The brand new battery exploded, so we just returned it, and told them it was defective. Got a new one. The underside of the drivers seat is black from soot. I am not going to clean it off. :D

I had planned on doing a fade to black paint job on my bike. Now it WILL have a flame job. That flame job will have a real meaning!

I felt like Colin Edwards when his bike caught fire and he had to bail off!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
...After I had pushed the bike 3/4 of a mile, an attractive blonde stopped and asked me if I needed a ride. I said, no, I was okay...
Okay, this is the craziest part of your story, for sure. This is where you went wrong!

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Damn bro, sorry to hear about the fireball. Glad everything is ok, and you are in one piece.

This the pic you were talking about? :huh:

Kevlar7R said:
I felt like Colin Edwards when his bike caught fire and he had to bail off!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Where's Fire Marshal Bill when you need him?:confused: :)

Hell of a day!:thumb:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
it may have been a HELL of a day, but i think you got a HELL OF A STORY! i like war stories like that. shit goes wrong, you come out o.k. :thumb:

damn california, you almost killed our friend! :finger:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DocThee said:

Oh, let's hear more about that blonde. Embellish if you have to....:twofinger
Her name was either Harmony, or Melody.... I can't remember which.

I don't really remember much else, except that my memory has her tagged as "Attractive." I had other things on my mind at the time, so I didn't log any more details then that.

Now I am heading out for the interview of my life.... with fresh 3rd degree burns on my back.

What a day.........

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
monkey said:
it may have been a HELL of a day, but i think you got a HELL OF A STORY! i like war stories like that. shit goes wrong, you come out o.k. :thumb:

damn california, you almost killed our friend! :finger:
Monkey,

I've got a bunch of stories like that. Like the time I was hit by a car (while on foot), ended up on the roof while he ran from the cops, and when I decided to get off the car, hit the ground running chasing the car.

Or the time a car decided they deserved my lane more then I did on the freeway. I crashed 10 feet infront of a semi, bounced off my head, landed on my feet, and ran to the edge of the road just in time to avoid getting hit by the semi by about 6 inches.

Some of my friends call me Jackie Chan. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
Monkey,

I've got a bunch of stories like that. Like the time I was hit by a car (while on foot), ended up on the roof while he ran from the cops, and when I decided to get off the car, hit the ground running chasing the car.

Or the time a car decided they deserved my lane more then I did on the freeway. I crashed 10 feet infront of a semi, bounced off my head, landed on my feet, and ran to the edge of the road just in time to avoid getting hit by the semi by about 6 inches.

Some of my friends call me Jackie Chan. :D :D :D
i got to party with you! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
More then a normal m/c take of woes. Still why a candle when you are humping it & you do this feat with your shirt on?

Something like B-12 Chemtool is totally new to me AND you are a chemical engineer??

Sorry just one of many things that cought my eye----still what a day I will agree.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Smitty said:

Something like B-12 Chemtool is totally new to me AND you are a chemical engineer??
:laughing: For some reason, this made me laugh... maybe because it hits close to home? :dunno:

Sorry you had such a rough day, Kev, but glad to her you are (mostly) unscathed and that your bike will be okay! :thumbs2:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Smitty said:
Still why a candle when you are humping it & you do this feat with your shirt on?
We were just getting started, The shirt hadn't come off yet. We were on the floor circled in candles. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

That was my favorite shirt too......

Well, when deciding which Carb cleaner to buy, it looked like the most bad ass stuff on the shelf. I guess it really was!

I shoot pyrotechnics as a part time job, for a major Pyro/lasers company. I think the next time we all get together, I'm gonna have to make a B-12 Chemtool bomb!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kevlar7R said:

I shoot pyrotechnics as a part time job, for a major Pyro/lasers company. I think the next time we all get together, I'm gonna have to make a B-12 Chemtool bomb!!!!
Just bring your bike dude!!:D Jk man, sounds like a hell of a day. Let this be a lesson to ya, now had ya spent the rest of the afternoon with the blonde none a this $hit woulda happened:D :D

Glad you made it out ok, sounds like your nickname should be lucky.

J

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
jaylsp: I think you have a small typo error in there. Should it not be a UN before the "lucky" bit should there not? LOL

Well this time anyway. Though the candle bit --------------- now that is a bit to much in my way of thinking for a circle of candles NOW I really do wonder if that is required to get in the mood. LOL

·
Registered
27 Posts
As Chris Farley would say... . That was just "AWESOME"!!!... I just imagine your buddy riding behind you seeing those bright orange flames...... lucky your bike did not explode.... A big lesson learned..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Glad your bike is ok man, I will never forget that sinking feeling i got when a caprice i had burst into flames.

Luckily there was a tire discounters near by that i ran into and 'found' a fire extinguisher 'complete with wall bracket and safety instructions'

I thought i was home free but on the run back to the car a cop had already arrived. This horribly overweight female cop seemed to be trying to block me as I got to my car! I got around her and put out the flames and beat the burning fender well out with my work shirt.

This is where things get wierd. I was so freaked out and pumped up at the time i didn't feel this soggy old prat attempting to subdue me by beating the back of my leg with her nightstick. Shes yelling at me but so flustered that i could not understand what the hell she was trying to say. :eek:

So the light turns green, car fires up just fine and I head for home, it was only like half a mile to my house and i figured if she decided to reignite i could finish the job with a hose at home. That cop was just sitting there staring at me with a discusted look on her face.

I get home and thank goodness no fire. About 3 mins later about 7 cops come flying up the street sirens blazing while i am trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my car. They do a full out felony stop on me in my own driveway with all the neighbors laughing their asses off 'they hate me' and take me down to the station.

I broke no traffic laws on the way home and was actually going under the limit trying to take it easy on my car, I also returned the extinguisher to tire discounters and left them 100$ and my address incase the recharging and installing a new wall bracket cost more then that.

They ended up releasing me that same day with no fines, but if you ever have to put out a fire just hope there are no stupid fat cops around that radio in that you are evading them when they never even tell you to stop or stay there.

Oh well thats my experience with combustion and moving vehicles :D

Glad to hear that things turned out alright, and that was definatley a crappy day :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts