Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
ariszr7 said:
This is the ultimate sportbike for 2002 IMO.
What is it?

Aris
Tornado.

R1 is nice, and I test drove it and several other 2002 models before making a decision on a GSX-R750. The insurance on the R1 was gonna kill me -same on a GSX-R 1000.

Here is a pic:

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Ultimate Sportbike

PJ1 said:

Junk! Here is the ultimate sportbike for 2002. IMO
Every opinion is respected here, but you don't even know what you re talking about!
In fact it's the R1 that is really JUNK (with capital letters) if compared to that bike.
If price is a factor, then the R1 is really good, but this isn't the point here.

A brief description might help you realize the truth :D

'Just 50 examples of this Yoshimura Tornado S-1 sportbike will be built, for those bikers lucky enough to afford £23,000 for perhaps the ultimate GSXR1000 special.

Japanese company Yoshimura will be exhibiting the machine at a Tokyo show, but it will be available in the UK. Featuring a high compression Gixer 1000 motor, built to the usual Yoshimura high standards, the bike has a handlebar mounted switchable ignition map - for those trackday moments - plus quick-shift gears and a whopping 168bhp.

Ohlins suspension, aluminium wheels and Nissin six pot braking complete this high performance special, which even comes with its personal Snap-on tool kit.'

Aris

·
Registered
60 Posts
In fact it's the R1 that is really JUNK (with capital letters) if compared to that bi

Ohlins suspension, huh? You do know that most of that company is owned by Yamaha right?

Something tells me if the same money you mention they dumped on this GSX-R were put into the 2002 R1, you just might be wrong about which is the ultimate sportbike.

Come on Yamaha riders! Back me up here!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Ultimate Sportbike

Originally posted by ariszr7
A brief description might help you realize the truth
'Just 50 examples of this Yoshimura Tornado S-1 sportbike will be built, for those bikers lucky enough to afford £23,000 for perhaps the ultimate GSXR1000 special.
which even comes with its personal Snap-on tool kit.
For those of us not up to date on the current exchange rate, What is the conversion for (jeez I don't even have that key on my keyboard:confused: ) L23,000 to US dollars please?
Your ultimate sportbike comes with it's own Snap-on tool kit, well good thing if you are riding a slowzuki. :D Opps there I go regressing into childish name calling and petty bickering. On with the posting!:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: In fact it's the R1 that is really JUNK (with capital letters) if compared to that bi

R1pilot said:
Ohlins suspension, huh? You do know that most of that company is owned by Yamaha right? Come on Yamaha riders! Back me up here!
Yes I know that. But I haven't seen real Ohlins on a production Yamaha street bike yet :(
They tried to fool us with the piggy backs on the XJR though!

R1pilot said:

Something tells me if the same money you mention they dumped on this GSX-R were put into the 2002 R1, you just might be wrong about which is the ultimate sportbike.
If my grandmother wore wheels on her heels she might ve been a skateboard :D

Aris

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
i think aris forgot aluminum gas tank as well. at least the old tornados had them...

btw, yamaha guys, mellow out. you guys haven't been the same since the 00 gsx-r750 and the 1000 sent you guys over the edge. the r1 is a nice bike. none of us can go any faster on the gsx-r1000 than we can on the r6, much less the r1, so let's chill out and take some deep breathes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by FZR400Tony let's chill out and take some deep breathes. :rolleyes:
he-he-he-hooo
he-he-he-hooo :D

ah yes much better ;)

The tornado looks like it has 1990 GSXR 1100 middle fairings.
Common LOOK at the new R1 and tell me that the tornado even comes close in curb appeal.:barf:

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Ultimate Sportbike

PJ1 said:

For those of us not up to date on the current exchange rate, What is the conversion for (jeez I don't even have that key on my keyboard:confused: ) L23,000 to US dollars please?
Roughly $33,000 US.

IMO, that motorcycle belongs in the "Ugliest Bike" thread. Are those early-80's vintage plastics? :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: In fact it's the R1 that is really JUNK (with capital letters) if compared to that bi

R1pilot said:
Ohlins suspension, huh? You do know that most of that company is owned by Yamaha right?

Come on Yamaha riders! Back me up here!
You are right R1 pilot. Just because it has a lot of exotic parts and is "exclusive" doesn't make it the best sportbike. A gsxr suz 750 could probably whip a MV Agusta f4 and it costs a lot less.

Now if you're a poser, all of the exotic parts and price might make it the ultimate sportbike for that definition.

·
Registered
304 Posts

R1pilot said:
...Something tells me if the same money you mention they dumped on this GSX-R were put into the 2002 R1, you just might be wrong about which is the ultimate sportbike...
Wrong.

One of the most important components you haven't made reference to is the chassis. It has a massaged GSXR-1K motor and Ohlins suspenders, but that's where any and all similarities to the 'donor bike' end.

Here's a comparison: Which is a better bike, the Suzuki TL-R or the Bimota SB-8R? Same thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well as long as we're still pretending.....

If $33k were dumped on a 2002 R1 based "ulitmate sportbike" I would assume part of that would go into a completely different chassis with the motor coming from the "donor bike."

·
Registered
304 Posts
R1pilot said:
...If $33k were dumped on a 2002 R1 based "ulitmate sportbike" I would assume part of that would go into a completely different chassis with the motor coming from the "donor bike."
So what comparison are you trying to make? Bottom line it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
so what comparison are you trying to make? Bottom line it.
Bottom line: the tornado may have all the best in exotica goodies and have over $33,000 invested but that does not change the fact the bike is IMO butt ugly. All the lira, yen, denero, or whatever does not make that bike the ultimate sportbike. I guarantee if you pull up to a bunch of babes at bike week the 2002 R1 will bring em in like mothes to a flame. And we all know thats why we ride sportbikes. ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
PJ1 said:

Bottom line: the tornado may have all the best in exotica goodies and have over $33,000 invested but that does not change the fact the bike is IMO butt ugly. All the lira, yen, denero, or whatever does not make that bike the ultimate sportbike. I guarantee if you pull up to a bunch of babes at bike week the 2002 R1 will bring em in like mothes to a flame. And we all know thats why we ride sportbikes. ;)

Poser :twofinger

1 - 20 of 29 Posts