Sportbike World banner

Which type of club would you rather ride with?

• Structured (rules, duties, more organized)

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Non-Structured (Show up when you want, no duties, less organized)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • None

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
It's nice from time to time to go to an organized event just have something planned in advanced, but 90% of the time, my riding group is organized within a hour when the weather is nice and people can show up. Thank god for fast telecommunications.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I want to find a riding group first off:crying: But it would be nice if it was only semi-structured. Duties always seem to get flaked off and piss others off so if there is no commitment, there is more enjoyment.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The Honda rider's club at local honda bike shops are great. They are organized after the store closes shop around 6-7pm. All bikes are welcome and I can say I've had more fun riding with them than any other riding group in my area.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive rode with a few different clubs and i dont like the rules either. seems that shit turns my hobby into a job...:( on the flip side there seems to be better attendance with structured clubs though. in the three clubs i rode in...one was full of older riders that i had nothing in common with other than bikes...one was all party with not a lot of riding...and the other was full of rules and shit. seems that there has to be a happy medium somewhere. any ideas?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA! two of the three were my own clubs. the first i started with a friend of mine and worked out great for a few years. we didnt have any rules or regulations and the turn out was surprisingly good (80% of the time). but again there were way more parties than there were rides and that shit gets old after a bit so it petered out in the winter of the second year. the second group was already formed but had only three members. we merged clubs and created a rule book regarding membership and the like. the attendance was slightly better (average 15 bikes instead of 10) but after the second year the politics started getting out of hand and dragging people down (including me). im a social biker so i like to be surrounded with riders. this being said how the hell do you make a club work where you have a good foundation and the rules and regulations arent restrictive? ive been thinking of getting something new going lately and i dont want to put in the extra work only to have it die in the winter. :thumb:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
You could probably post this question in the Red Line forum on here - they have had their issues, but are a structured club that seems to have a good time. :2cents:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
None. I'm not real big on group rides. Maybe one or two people whom I trust, but in general I'd rather ride alone. More people only complicates things. There really is no end to what a highly motivated and organized group can't do.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
spicersh said:
There really is no end to what a highly motivated and organized group can't do.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

That makes me think of the last family reunion I attended!

·
Registered
233 Posts
spicersh said:
None. I'm not real big on group rides. Maybe one or two people whom I trust, but in general I'd rather ride alone. More people only complicates things. There really is no end to what a highly motivated and organized group can't do.
+1 on that, Id rather ride alone. That way I only have to deal with my machismo, testosterone, and adrenaline.

The only thing I don’t like about clubs is SOME of them can give all sport bike riders a bad name. There is a group of sport bikers here in Fort Wayne that always hang out at a local Taco Bell. So of course when my friends and family see my bike they ask me "are you going to Taco Bell tonight?" Pisses me off!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
HA HA! id be pissed to be associated with taco bell too...:mad: damn them for throwing around such accusations...:D there is a club here in seattle called the seatown riders...their founding members were all good guys but when they left the club went to shit. they actually started stealing their own members bikes and selling them. about 7 of the guys from that club (including their NEW top dogs) were rounded up and tossed in the clank. needless to say people were a little gun shy to the idea of joining a club around here for quite awhile. as for noob riders in a group, i dont mind them so much. i keep my distance but i have found that outside of the REALLY green riders the most dangerous are the ones that want to show each other up. mochismo i think was the word...ha! nail on the head.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts