Sportbike World banner

Twisties is AZ, is there such a thing?

27K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Mr.TrevorClever 
#1 ·
Hi, are there some good roads around Phoenix for curves? I haven't ventured too far out nor bought a detailed map. I ve seen a bunch of Harleys out by Mcdowel mountain when I was MTN biking, so I thought I'd take that route. My God, what a boring straight 55 mph road. Maybe that 's flyin by the seat of your pants for Harleys.:D

Trevor

#2 ·
I don't know the names of any of the highways, so what I say will have to be slightly researched.:(

You can go up to Payson, there's some mild twisties that way.

You can take Apache Trail (Main Street) up to the lake, (the fun starts at about Ironwood / Idaho roads). Beyond the lake is a dirt road for about 15 miles, so once you're at the lake, turn around.

If you get a newish map, you'll find a shitload of twisties in the northern parts of AZ. Granted, this isn't the easiest thing to do on a day's notice, so you may want to make a weekend out of it, and have a big twistie-fest.

On a day's notice, though.. Go up to Payson, or go to the lake (the name of the lake I don't know.. I can get there, but to put it into words.. I'm fucked)

Anyway, they're out there, you just have to get a map and hunt them down. It takes more research than it should.

#3 ·
Highway 89A through Yarnell, Prescott and Jerome is very nice. Take heed though, the police are out in full force up there, so just take it easy and enjoy the scenery. There's also Canyon Lake/Tortilla Flats which is out by Apache junction. Take Idaho Rd. north of the US 60. (Idaho Rd is also Hwy.88) You'll see the signs for Canyon Lake. Police also watch this area carefully too. :(

#4 ·
Take hwy 89 out of Wickenburg to the Kirkland Junction and head up SR96. This will take you through some curves we refer to as Skull Valley. After you experience the nice curves of the 96 you will come to another junction for SR97. This road is a blast, it has twisties and quick elevation changes. This is the part we call Bagdad. After enjoying an up and down run the 96, continue on the 97 for a stop in the town of Bagdad for a refuel and some food at the diner.

#7 ·
VYPIR said:
Take hwy 89 out of Wickenburg to the Kirkland Junction and head up SR96. This will take you through some curves we refer to as Skull Valley. After you experience the nice curves of the 96 you will come to another junction for SR97. This road is a blast, it has twisties and quick elevation changes. This is the part we call Bagdad. After enjoying an up and down run the 96, continue on the 97 for a stop in the town of Bagdad for a refuel and some food at the diner.
whattup **** :twofinger

#11 ·
if you fell like risking your life, highway 191 in SE AZ after hannagans meadow has to be the damn most twistiest road i've ever seen, 535 curves in 63 miles, most of which are incredibly tight, we had to slow to about 10mph to make it down that road

be careful though, cattle gaurds and pine needles all over the place, make it real dangerous

#12 ·
You should go down to Apache Junction. No cops for riding fast, sorta wide roads for doing burnouts and some nice scenery. Road some stand ups with my neighbor. I rode fast for about 4 minutes on a straight away going to Globe. 157 MPH :D

#13 ·
hpo said:
You should go down to Apache Junction. No cops for riding fast, sorta wide roads for doing burnouts and some nice scenery. Road some stand ups with my neighbor. I rode fast for about 4 minutes on a straight away going to Globe. 157 MPH :D
HEADS UP... That stretch that you are taking about is the EXACT reason why boyfriend and I are going to court for doing 103 mph... there is one cop out there that HATES bikes and will catch everyone possible. I do NOT advise that stretch at all.

#14 ·
Yup! Only three cops in Superior and all they do is patrol the town. In Globe there is always one or town driving up and down the 60. I dont think you can drive any AZ road w/out seeing any cops every 20 minutes. But if you find a good reservation with clean roads thats another story.

#16 ·
If your willing to take a road trip for some good riding, there is Mt Lemon down here in Tucson.. It is a good mix of corners and if you time it right there is not alot of traffic.. ( Key word is timing ).. I have rode in the Superstition's alot in in the past, that is a fun ride out through Canyon Lake .. I think we have better riding here in Arizona then most states..

#17 ·
Twisties are everywhere. The problem that I have is finding fellow riders to ride them with me. I'm thinking of changing my name to the Lone Rider... I will go out on a Sunday and ride 250+ miles. Yesterday, I did the Winkelman/Kearny ride twice. The first time all by myself and then when I got to Globe I saw 2 riders(ZRX & TLR) going towards Winkelman, so I turned around and rode with them back to Winkelman. They went straight and turned towards Superior and just before I got to town I saw 3 more sportbikers, but I was low on fuel so I continued on to town. That was it for sport bikes up there:(

#18 ·
Mr.TrevorClever said:
Hi, are there some good roads around Phoenix for curves? I haven't ventured too far out nor bought a detailed map. I ve seen a bunch of Harleys out by Mcdowel mountain when I was MTN biking, so I thought I'd take that route. My God, what a boring straight 55 mph road. Maybe that 's flyin by the seat of your pants for Harleys.:D

Trevor
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56024

Check out the link above to the Rides thread, I detailed a few on there that are worth a look...

:2cents:

#20 ·
take 60 EAST to Superior > south on 177? to Winkleman > north on 77? to Globe > 60 WEST back to Phoenix.

Go out early to beat the heat and the cops.

#21 ·
Can anyone confirm if Route 191 between Safford and Eagar is paved completely? Has anyone ridden this stretch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.