Sportbike World banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just got back from hitting my favorite twisties again. Still can't bring myself to push it. There is little less than an inch of tread on the outsides of my tires that looks brand new. Therefore, I think I can still lean it over a bit furthur (Or can I?).
That's up to you. Most bikes are much more capable than their riders - me included so absolutely no offense intended. Your riding skills have to progress at a rate that is right for you. Don't let *ANYONE* tell you that you need to wear your tires to the edges. That may or may not happen in your case depending on your riding style especially on the street. Remember that the limits of traction vary depending on many factors including road conditions (wet/dry, sand/gravel, etc.)

The track is a much better place to explore your and your bike's limits. For some real fun, find a novice track day event to attend especially if they offer instruction/coaching.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
sjn I have chicken strips on my tyres as I feel riding next to the 'point of no return' is riding close to 100% on the hwys, when in actual fact you should be riding at 60% of your ability on good days.
Keep the 100 to 110% for the track, for there are ambulances THERE in case you went to far or hit some sand, oil, etc.
Thing is you should be aiming at riding 10 yrs or more down the road, but you will not if riding at 100% or your capability on the hwys!!!!!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Unfortunately the only track around here is over 100 miles away. Not exactly easy to get to.
Forgive me, but unless that 100 miles is on dirt roads or something, that's nothing. I'm driving (bike on a trailer) about 4 hours on Sunday for a track day on Monday then driving back Monday night. Check out what is offered at your track. It will be the most fun you'll have on 2 wheels.:D

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
it's over 7 hours to get to vir for me in two weeks. once you get to the track, 100 miles will seem like a hop, skip and a jump to find eutopia.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
sorry, I can't do anything to twisty for a week...my rear tire is too slippery and the new one doesn't come in for a week. thanks

21 - 26 of 26 Posts