Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there I was, riding to work yesterday morning. It was damn cold and the sides of my visor were a little foggy. I approached a T-intersection, looked both ways and saw a vehicle coming from each direction.

A second look told me that the vehicle in the near lane (on my right) was far enough away for me to pull out. Through the fog on my visor, the other vehicle appeared to be even further away, so I pulled into the intersection.

Part way into the intersection, I glanced to my left and realised, to my horror, that the vehicle to my left was a bike with twin headlights and it was a f*ck of a lot closer than the "car" I had mistaken it for! I shot across his lane and pulled straight onto the edge of the road (only about 2' wide).

Thankfully, the other rider was on the ball. He slowed and went wide enough to avoid a collision, then hung his hand out at me as if to ask, "What the f*ck are you doing?!"

I stayed in the emergency lane for about ten seconds, thinking about how close I'd come to taking out a fellow biker.

Lessons learned:
  • Make sure visor is always free from fog.
  • Twin headlights don't always mean a car that's a long way away. Take a second to check that it's not a bike with twin headlights.

Anyone else ever been in a situation where they've made an error in judgement and almost taken out another bike?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Cookee---it is time to lay off the idea of a snort or two before you go riding again. LOL

Yes I can see how that could have been a fatal error. The Fog well I am hopless & cannot drive or ride with fog or fogged up visor.

Still I have noted a few chaps have the headlamp cut off & only the two lights to the left & right of the main headlamp on their HD or Cruisers. Personally I thought that was a good move upon their parts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Johnson and Johnson "No tear Shampoo" is a great anti-fog substance. they use it a lot for scuba diving.. just wash it on the lense for a second and you're good to go

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raichu said:
Johnson and Johnson "No tear Shampoo" is a great anti-fog substance. they use it a lot for scuba diving.. just wash it on the lense for a second and you're good to go
Thanks, mate, I might try that. :thumbs2:

What I really need is a better helmet with improved ventilation. However, we've just spent AUD$1500 (US$1275) on a jacket for Mrs Tree and pants and boots for us both, so a new helmet will have to wait.

(Must take some pic's of Mrs Tree in her leather to show y'all. :drool: )

·
Registered
369 Posts
The other thing that works really well, both on the inside and outside your visor, is Rain-X. You can get it at any auto parts store. I don't know if it's available in Australia, but I'm sure if it isn't there would be a similar product.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip, Mister Tee. Yes, it is available in Aus. Might even look into that Cat Crap.

ZX - Yep, the big girl is back up and running. Just gotta get the carbs tuned for the new motor. This one's got standard cams, so it's running a little rich.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Glad you and the other rider are ok, but....

That is funny as hell...

x3 on the rainx
or a car polish works good too.

Cookie....just revamp your choice limits.
Like backing up a car in the dark.....If your not sure....double or triple check.
;)

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duner said:
Glad you and the other rider are ok, but....

That is funny as hell...

x3 on the rainx
or a car polish works good too.

Cookie....just revamp your choice limits.
Like backing up a car in the dark.....If your not sure....double or triple check.
;)

...good to hear your bike is fixed...
Glad you found it amusing. Will def be getting some RainX.

You're right. I should've checked again. Better to lose a few seconds checking than lose a life by not. :thumb:

She's fixed, but she's not running 100%. Need to get that tune-up done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts