Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I consider myself a decent rider with a few years experience riding sportbikes but i seem to have a problem making tight turns at low speeds. When i attempt to make a U-turn i always seem to turn wide and not be steady..any tips or techniques on tight turns at slow speeds?

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
What kind of riding stance are you in? Try pressing more on your outside peg in the turn to keep a lower center gravity so you can whip it around.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Maybe you just suck...hehe. JUST KIDDING BRO!

The first time I tried a U-turn, I had someone on the back of my old F3, and I dropped my bike. Oops! Anyway, I think it has a lot to do with practice and having a bike that's right for you. If the bike is too bulky for you, things like U-turns are gonna be tough. If I were you, I'd learn how to throw the bike around more effectively. That's essentially what any turn involves, throwing the bike around. Even a 5mph U-turn.:) Just don't throw too hard, or you'll end up doing what I did the first time.

·
Registered
873 Posts
?????

Ok now this is something you are supposed to be able to do in order to get a license. They didnt make me do a u turn but i damn near had to do the Minute Waltz for the MVD guy while i was on the bike doing 5 mph. (NO FEET!!, u use feet=u suck)

Id say go to an empty parking lot and just putt around and practice. If you cant pull off a u turn you shouldnt be on the road. (hear that Brutha???)

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: ?????

GreenNinja said:
If you cant pull off a u turn you shouldnt be on the road. (hear that Brutha???):D :D :D
Listen hear Beyatch!!! It was my first bike, and it was the first time I ever had anyone on back. I could do it while I was alone, but the extra weight on the back caught me off guard. Now go back to watching Tele-tubbies, you know you're probably missing the best part. ;):D

P.S. I had to do the same for my license test as well. Man did that suck in an open area on the windiest day of the year!:mad:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
You can watch John run around and play.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to the subject. In order to make a U-turn or slow speed turn. You shoud try to maintain an upright riding position while applying more pressure to the outside footpeg. Countersteer into the turn and apply a smooth throttle slowly increasing the throttle coming out of the turn.

My suggestion here is to find a parking lot or dead traffic road and start out by making 90 degree turns. Approach the turn almost to the point where you are stopped lay the bike into the turn and roll the throttle out. After you get those down increase the turn to 180 degrees and then 360 degrees. The key is to turn the bike without leaning into it as would be done at higher speeds.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Another thing that is useful for any slow speed maneuvers is parallel to feathering the clutch, keep rpms up. Not at 8000 but a little above the speed you want to travel at. Make sense? It will help to stabilize the bike vertically. And like the mongrel said DO NOT coast but let the motor pull a tad. You might want to practice without a passenger also!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys...and the jokes..by the way i know how to make a darn u-turn they were just wide!!...but the tips helped my turns at low speed nice and tight..just how i like em...and by the way that tubby site is very disturbed..:D

·
Old Guy
87 Posts
Drag the rear brake, using the feathering of the clutch to adjust your speed. This will eliminate jerking from the on\off clutch action and steady the whole bike.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Cover the clutch as mentioned but more importantly, look to the exit. You go where you look. I'll bet it's that simple, you're looking too close in front and not to the exit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts