Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to post that. Turning 50,000 miles has always been a landmark for me with any bike I've owned. This one's a '90 but had only 950 miles on it when I picked it up less than three years ago (it will be three years in Feb). I have about 600 to go and two excellent weather days this week-end to do it. Anybody riding W.Va. #7, 250, 50 or Pa. #19, 286, 40, 711 this week-end? That's probably where I'll be both days.

P

·
0 Posts
Very cool, Dad. How in the hell did you find a 9 year-old bike with only 950 miles on it?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pete said:
Very cool, Dad. How in the hell did you find a 9 year-old bike with only 950 miles on it?
It was a friend of mine who bought it new, scared himself on it, and put it in his nice dry basement where it sat for 8 1/2 years. I find and ride clean used bikes but this was an exceptional one. The bike is still all stock, including all of the dumb little stickers like "unleaded fuel only", "always wear a helmet", etc. This one still looks real good and is often mistaken for a new bike. It's the silver/gray two tone color scheme that keeps it from giving up it's age.:) When I'm looking for a bike I'm patient. I usually have several bikes in mind that fit the category, put out a bunch of feelers, and then just wait till I find the right deal. It averages about 6 months from start till I actually get one, and they're always private owners.

I'm looking for a 'Busa now. I won't be paying over $6000 and it will be clean and straight, preferably ALL stock. It's been about 6 mos. already and nothing has cropped up, but I can wait. I already have a buyer for my CBR and don't HAVE to do anything.:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Dad said:

I'm looking for a 'Busa now. I won't be paying over $6000 and it will be clean and straight, preferably ALL stock. It's been about 6 mos. already and nothing has cropped up, but I can wait.......
You'll be waiting a while on that one. A clean and straight, all stock Busa circa 1999 will be hard to come by for $6k or less. It's the last of the 190 mph bikes from the factory. I've seen ads for them for around $8k. Maybe another year.

Congrats on the 50k miles.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rogue_Biker said:

You'll be waiting a while on that one. A clean and straight, all stock Busa circa 1999 will be hard to come by for $6k or less. It's the last of the 190 mph bikes from the factory. I've seen ads for them for around $8k. Maybe another year.

Congrats on the 50k miles.
I know, that's why I have to be patient.:) I passed on a 2000 with 450 miles for 8K last week. That had me tempted but I decided to wait. It'll be a divorce or just somebody who poorly manages there money and needs to dump it quick. Plus, around here we have winter.:) People buy them in the summer and forget that the payment is every month. Winter hits, they get to needing some money and there sits the bike in the garage, payment due and can't even ride it. Not that many do it, but I only need one.:) Two of my last three bikes were winter purchases. Something will come along... if not, I'll continue riding what I've got.

On that subject, I may... not sure yet... know of a CHERRY, no wheelied, not hammered, babied, about 3000 miles, 2000 R-1 for sale. I'm not interested but if somebody is, send me a way to contact and I'll let you know if he decides to sell. If so, it'll be a deal.:)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Smeghead said:
50.000 eh Dad !! Well happy birthday to you.;)

OH, you meant the BIKE !!:rolleyes: Congrats. then. :D
LMAO:D :D

That's not till April... 50k sounds about right in "little bouncy green guy years".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dad, you mentioned West Virginia, you forgot the longest route with the most turns:rolleyes: ROUTE 16:eek: runs north and south through the whole state and Virginia:cool:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bbirdxx2000 said:
Dad, you mentioned West Virginia, you forgot the longest route with the most turns:rolleyes: ROUTE 16:eek: runs north and south through the whole state and Virginia:cool:
Too far south for a day ride. I stay in the northern tier with rte.50 as my southernmost point. It's a good one that runs east/west across the mountains of W.Va. and Maryland. Between Pittsburgh and there are some other good roads that make the whole ride quite nice. A typical loop is about 350 miles and can be varied but is still in roughly the same "block". If you look on a map and use Pittsburgh as the Northwest corner of a rectangle with a point on rte.50 either in Md. or the eastern part of W.Va. as the southeast corner, you almost can't miss by picking any of the roads in that box.;) If you ever get down this way, give a holler. I've noticed from some of your posts that you're a W.Va. riding fan. I'm surprised that it's not more popular than it is. There is excellent riding in most of the state with the exception of the extreme east / northeast, but even there, a lot of it is still good.:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dad, I am a W. Virginia riding fan:) and I am glad it's not more popular, They said the same thing about DEALS GAP 20 years ago;) I belong to C.O.G. and I am planning on making a scheduled run next year 5/20-5/23 keep your schedule open I will have the meeting place (hotel) in Fairmont hope to see ya By the way the roads I have layed out will wear the sides of the tires before the center:eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts