Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually I love the supermotard look of running sticky rubber on laced rims.

Dumb question but do they run tube or tubeless tyres? Can you run say Michelin Pilots etc on your supermotard ?

:)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi Mike,

Unfortunately with spoked wheels you can't run tubeless, except for rare exceptions like the BMW GS and the old Honda XL600 LM (see trivia thread! on tubeless with spokes!) which use special rims.
http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13829

The problem is that air will escape through the spokes threads on laced rims :(

I should be OK to use Michelin Sports etc for the street but with a tube inside.
I think that the Pirelli MT 60R/60RS Corsa are the favourites as they are radial tyres specifically designed for Supermoto! They are super soft tyres with a thread that looks like the wet tyres used in GP.
Almost all the bikes I saw racing use these.

Aris

P

·
0 Posts
ariszr7 said:
I should be OK to use Michelin Sports etc for the street but with a tube inside.
I have always heard that running a tube inside a sportbike tire is a bad idea due to the heat generated by hard riding.

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Now that you mentioned it I realize it's not a good idea and I shouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I had run tubeless tires with tubes on my SR500 with no problems (except an instant flat) because the dealer said the rims were not real tube type.
I removed the tubes later and didn't have any problems since.

Aris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts