Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New trivia for you :)

What is the difference between the Trumph logo pre Hinckley and after Hinckley?
And what was the reason for this?

Aris

·
Registered
714 Posts
The original logo was deemed too old- fashioned to be associated with the re-birth of the modern Triumph. John Bloor wanted to show that he wasn't relying on the past to sell bikes in the present. Plus it is a simpler design. There may have been some other "ownership" problems as well. Don't forget, this was another attempt to re-launch the once great British bike industry and Triumph had more than it's fair share of bad publicity. This was another reason to move slightly away from the traditional badge. Ultimately, does anyone really notice these days that it is different ? Not me.;)

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
titomike said:
The old logo leaked oil all over your driveway ???

:)
Couldn't stop laughing :D

Actually you are partiall right as I'm sure John Bloor knew about the older Triumph bikes bad habits :)

Aris

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smeghead said:
The original logo was deemed too old- fashioned to be associated with the re-birth of the modern Triumph. John Bloor wanted to show that he wasn't relying on the past to sell bikes in the present. Plus it is a simpler design. There may have been some other "ownership" problems as well. Don't forget, this was another attempt to re-launch the once great British bike industry and Triumph had more than it's fair share of bad publicity. This was another reason to move slightly away from the traditional badge. Ultimately, does anyone really notice these days that it is different ? Not me.;)
OK Smeg, what you say makes sense.
But the new design isn't really simpler or anything. Do you actually know the difference between the logos?
I had heard that John Bloor changed because he was afraid of the bad luck the old logo could bring to his new 'Triumph' :)
It seems that the witch craft has worked so far! They are still doing business :)

Aris

·
Registered
714 Posts
[Do you actually know the difference between the logos?
Aris [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, but as I said, do others really notice. I think the Triumphs have shaken off the bad old image they once had. People see these as a new, modern product. And damn fine ones at that.

British and proud of it !! (But I'll keep my VFR ;) ).

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/B][/QUOTE]
People see these as a new, modern product. And damn fine ones at that.
British and proud of it !! (But I'll keep my VFR ;) ). [/B][/QUOTE]

Good choice Smeg ;) No offence, but I think that your VFR is a much better bike!
The Triumphs are good bikes, but I would never buy one. I think that there are much better bikes than the Triumphs in all classes except the Speed Triple which has a unique character and attitude.

Ok here are the different logos (before and after)
for those who never noticed the difference.
The top is the old one and the bottom the new one.

Aris

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts