Sportbike World banner

Treat yourself .... give your helmet the spring clean ...

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Legend 
#1 ·
Lads .. gotta share this with you.

I was toying with the idea of getting a new helmet ... gotta new bike so it's got to be done ... until I found out an Arai Signet is about S$800 !!! .... and of course, I gotta have to best ...

So, I thought fark it, the old one is fine .. it just STINKS ...

So ... off to the Arai shop in little india, bought meself a new visor and cheak pads (foam and liner). Cost ... a piffly S$110. I'm going back to get the removable liner next month ....S$60 odd.

Then, to the shop opposite Joes ... that also has helmets .. paid $8 for a can of helmet cleaner and deodoriser ... it comes out like farkin shaving foam .. had it everywhere ... spray on, give er a quick wipe down .. inside and out .. then wipe off what you can ..

Result .... fark me !! ... me two year old helmet is shiny as, but more important .. I can't work out whats best .. me nice clear visor (you just don't realise how farked up the old one is till you put on a new one) ... or the nice clean smelling interior which fits snuggly again cause of the fresh cheek pads.

So yourselves a favour lads. In this heat, and the sweat we poor into these things ..... give it a treat .. you'll farkin love me.

See less See more
#2 ·
The Chiap Lee Brothers

The Helmet Shop in little India .... the one with the big Helmet outride the door you mean ? That would be Chiap Lee then .

And the Helmet Shop opposite Joe .... well surprise surprise, but yep you guessed it again, that would also be Chiap Lee .....

Plonker

#3 ·
Legend said:
Lads .. gotta share this with you.

I was toying with the idea of getting a new helmet ... gotta new bike so it's got to be done ... until I found out an Arai Signet is about S$800 !!! .... and of course, I gotta have to best ...

So, I thought fark it, the old one is fine .. it just STINKS ...

So ... off to the Arai shop in little india, bought meself a new visor and cheak pads (foam and liner). Cost ... a piffly S$110. I'm going back to get the removable liner next month ....S$60 odd.

Then, to the shop opposite Joes ... that also has helmets .. paid $8 for a can of helmet cleaner and deodoriser ... it comes out like farkin shaving foam .. had it everywhere ... spray on, give er a quick wipe down .. inside and out .. then wipe off what you can ..

Result .... fark me !! ... me two year old helmet is shiny as, but more important .. I can't work out whats best .. me nice clear visor (you just don't realise how farked up the old one is till you put on a new one) ... or the nice clean smelling interior which fits snuggly again cause of the fresh cheek pads.

So yourselves a favour lads. In this heat, and the sweat we poor into these things ..... give it a treat .. you'll farkin love me.
Plexus?

#6 ·
Silva Bullet said:

Someone said, but do you do ???

If so, howzit?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do I? Nah, but I'm curious though...can somebody try?
I just leave my helmet out on the porch, rain or shine until, one day, the person next to me goes :hurl:

Then I'll soak the whole :p helmet in a pail of soapy water and then rinse off...and let dry in the sun....

also

Try keeping scented lavander inside your helmet, keeps it fresh too although you tend to become really sleepy :eek: while riding :confused: :p :p

#7 ·
Ok lads ... now what about gloved ??

I stuck mine in the freexer last night ... it works ... they were lovely and COLD this morning ... nice COLD mits on the way to work this morning ... oh, and it kills most of the smell ....

Anyone got any great ideas about washing the things ... of stuff to spray in them ...

And ... whats the thoughts about putting some small holes in the palms and fingers ..... asking for trouble if/ when I got down the road ... (Big Phil .... your input would be greatly appreciated ... all the others are cants !!) :) :) :)

#8 · (Edited)
Oh so now i'm the crash expert eh.

My advice....

Track.
Get the thickest cow hide you can lay your maulers on, that still give movement.
Dont even think about puttin holes anywhere.
Take a look at what happened to Ravi when he was wearing new Dainese mittens. Not funny at all ..ask Tweety he was there.

Town.
You could get them there special kevlar jobbies that breath. They look like chainmail but stand up well in the abrasion tests.

Helmet.... theres no such thing as too expensive safety gear..this works well with the girlies if nabbed lobbin cash on bike goodies ( again)

Freezer.
Well the only thing i think of is Cold air is dry air. so it might dry the sweat out. Plus if you use coffee grindings ( proper coffee mind) they absorb odour.
Prob is if you take it out and ride I reckon the visor's gonna mist up a good un!
Reckon the removable inner is the way to go.

Cheers

#10 ·
Re: Ok lads ... now what about gloved ??

Legend said:
I stuck mine in the freexer last night ... it works ... they were lovely and COLD this morning ... nice COLD mits on the way to work this morning ... oh, and it kills most of the smell ....

Anyone got any great ideas about washing the things ... of stuff to spray in them ...

And ... whats the thoughts about putting some small holes in the palms and fingers ..... asking for trouble if/ when I got down the road ... (Big Phil .... your input would be greatly appreciated ... all the others are cants !!) :) :) :)
For washing,.I always use your regular conditioning shampoo. The alkaline based ones will do less harm to foam,.and take away most of the hair oil. Same thing as when you wash your hair,..it feels soft and plush,....(i mean the hair on your head, lest someone get the wrong idea with the reference)...but then again,..seems like Legend madman probably threw out all hair-care cosmetics after shaving off his crowning glory.

:D ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.