Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does tread pattern play a major role in the tyre's performance? except in the wet of course. does more grooves mean more instablity?

·
Registered
379 Posts
good question. I've often wondered the same thing. I think the tread pattern may have determine the "shape" of the contact patch (or a term something to that effect). I remember once on two wheel Tuesday on Speed Vision, they were talking about this, but I walked in on the tail end of the explanation.

I'm curious to know too.:thumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The broader the tread block the less likely it is to squirm around, and hence get hot. It also places a bigger contact patch on the road.

Rain tyres have a lot more sipes cut in them to disburse water. This means more tread blocks to move around and get hot. Thats why when they dry out they destroy themselves.

Tyres like the Pirelli Corse and Avons have the minimum cuts as required by the DOT I believe.

:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
kapeXracer said:
does more grooves mean more instablity?
Yes.

That's why race tires are all "slicks" except of course for wet weather tires. The more rubber that contacts the pavement, the more traction provided. The grooves are there to provide channels for the water to be pushed away from the tire contact patch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts