Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dale Earnhart was killed instantly when his car slammed head-on into the turn 4 wall on the last lap of the Daytona 500. His crash looked tame compared to the 18 car meelay that happened 30 laps before his crash. This was the first NASCAR race I watched start to finish in a few years (I wanted a Dodge to win thats why). The racing was actually good this time. I'm no Earnhart fan, but its something you dont want to hear about. At least he died doing what he loved to do. RIP Dale Sr.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Oh my goodness. There are rarely any deaths in almost any motorsports these days, I can' t believe this. And for it to happen to someone like Dale Earnhardt, damn.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i couldnt believe it when it happened. the whole thing went from a big celebration for m waltrip's 1st win to somber for the death of a legend.

salute- to one of the greatest racers ever. rip

the crash occured just one turn away from the finish and he was trying to hold back the pack for E jr and m waltrip(his new driver). a team player to the end.

·
Registered
405 Posts
It was a great race until after I turned on CNN later and found out what had happened to Dale. Our prayers go out to the family.

·
Registered
40 Posts
YZFRob said:
At least he died doing what he loved to do. RIP Dale Sr.
I agree totally. It is a tragedy, but he did die "doing what he loved" and if I had a choice about the way I died, I'd want it to be during something I enjoyed. Not when I was 90+ years of age not being able to walk and think clearly. Everyone will remember Dale Earnhart as the Nascar legend that he was.

RIP Dale

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
dale was a winner from his first season in NASCAR until today.

without a dale earnhardt for fans to love and hate, NASCAR probably wouldn't be where it is today.

i was never a fan, but always impressed at his ability to dial in a car.

i was so happy for mikey waltrip. it was a well deserved win for a nice guy. i remember watching ken schader's (sp?) comments afterwards and knew things were bad, but i had no idea.

GOD SPEED

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tragedy

I just saw Dale`s accident on CNN and can`t believe that he died,it just didn`t seem like that serious.
Yes,he will be missed,godspeed Dale...

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I was shocked to hear the news also, even though I am not a Nascar fan racing is racing and I respect anyone who has the skill to compete.

RIP Dale. :(

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
orchid said:
i couldnt believe it when it happened. the whole thing went from a big celebration for m waltrip's 1st win to somber for the death of a legend.

salute- to one of the greatest racers ever. rip

the crash occured just one turn away from the finish and he was trying to hold back the pack for E jr and m waltrip(his new driver). a team player to the end.
Tho' I wasn't one of his biggest fans,those that have followed NASCAR know that Dale Earnhart could have won the race,but,held back so Jr. and Mikey,his two team mate cars could race to the finish.
Dale you were an Icon and a hero to many and your not being here will be missed by many.
My God be with you and your family....you will be missed........

Jim

·
Registered
296 Posts
Oh my...I just found this out from this forum! That is terrible. Although I am not a stock car fan, I hate to hear of such tragedies in any sport. My prayers to his family and friends. RIP, you will be missed. I'm sure he was enjoying life to the fullest, doing what he loved.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
What a loss...

I just logged on to announce this. I am so shocked and sadddend by this event. I am, however consoled that he died doing what he wanted to do like the rest of us 'crazy sportbikers' hopeto do. I can only pray to die in such a honorable fashion rather than at the hands of some moron on the freeway.

Anyway, prayers to him and his family. godspeed Dale!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Well, I guess you guys confirmed it. I thought my brother was just screwing with me since I haven't watched TV all day.
What a shame, but like yall said, he lived and died doing what he loved.
Think someone will make a movie?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Daytona is a sad place to be right now.

TJ and I were fans and were thankful we were not at the track when it happened. The Daytona area is a sad place to be right now. Not many around here with smiles on their faces. Wow, how that man affected his fans. Sat at dinner last night with several around us in tears. Really sad to lose such a legend.

Dale, you will be missed!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
RIP to the Intimidator. Arguably the greatest all around NASCAR driver ever. Could do it all, road courses, IROC, superspeedways, etc. :)

You can bet he was happy at the end with Jr and Mike W. battling for the win. :cool:

Schrader was definitely shook up there at the end. He knew it was bad when he left Dale Sr's car. :(

·
Registered
328 Posts
As a racer, I feel like I've lost a family member any time another racer is killed, regardless of the series. And when that racer is someone as legendary and popular as Dale Earnhardt, the feeling is almost incomprehensible. I was mortified when Ayrton Senna was killed, and I know many of felt this way when Joey Dunlop lost his life.

These men seemed larger than life, and it's so hard to accept that their lives can be stopped so suddenly, just like anyone else's.

I join the rest of the racing world in expressing my condolences to Dale's family, and I wish them the best of luck for the future.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That really sucks, I just found out last night.
I'm not a Nascar fan but it sucks to lose a racer no matter what he/she drives or rides. :(

RIP Dale.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Anybody catch the interview on Larry King Live with Darrel Waltrip. Very sad time for all. RIP Dale.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Like all of you, I am deeply sadened by what happened. I still can't believe it. I was fortunate enough to meet Dale on several occassions. We were not close friends or anything, but he was a man that had my upmost respect. There was another side to him that most people have never seen. I was able to get a glimpse of it a time or two. He of course had the hard nosed racing image, but he was also a giving person. Many people don't know about the things he did for others. His time was valuable but he always seemed to be able to have time for others. He will be missed.

Godspeed Mr. Earnhardt

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dale was my favorite driver! Its a sad time for NASCAR! It won't be the same without him!
#3 forever RIP

1 - 20 of 30 Posts