Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
ya dude, its time to get the fudge outa VA.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thats because they need more funding for the new roads/upkeep. So tax the FU<K out of anyone who goes over the speed limit a little and not the rest that use them? what he hell

I'll be the first to say:
If I lived in Virginia, I would stop stopping. I respect the law, but thats just BS.

·
Registered
892 Posts
oreo321321 said:
Thats because they need more funding for the new roads/upkeep. So tax the FU<K out of anyone who goes over the speed limit a little and not the rest that use them? what he hell

I'll be the first to say:
If I lived in Virginia, I would stop stopping. I respect the law, but thats just BS.
ya dude, if your getting fined like a grand might as well try to lose em, how much more can another charge and a night in jail be when your already paying like 1200 bucks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's exactly why I don't speed through VA. Those State Troopers luuuuuuuuuvvvvvvv to hand out tickets. I just suck up the shitty mph average and make it up in WV, PA, & NJ. Shit, in Jersey they don't care if you're 20 over as long as you're keeping up with traffic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Supernova46 said:
It's only illegal if you get caught. :D
I have a tshirt that says that exactly. Its my favorite shirt.

but yeah, what's police evasion ontop of a $1300 fine? If i'm caught, it better be because I died. Fucking democracy at its finest.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
No offence, but it sh*ts me to tears when people bitch about speeding fines. You don't wanna pay the fine? Don't speed! It's that simple!

Any time I've been pulled over for speeding, it's been, "Yes, sir, no, sir, three bags full, sir." I sped, I got caught, I paid the fine.

Accept responsibility. They don't want you to speed, okay? If you choose to ignore that fact, you face the consequences.

The talk about running is just immature...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Safe speed is always relative to each and every situation. That is why speed limits are stupid. Safe varies from place to place along roads and from motorcycle to motorcycle to vehicle to vehicle. Now, I'm not saying the alternative is much better (no speed limits). But, they should be more lenient about giving out tickets and fines and actually consider the situation, ie the time, the place, the quality of the transportation used, etc. Yes, that would be more subjective, so you might get a pissy cop who is just having a bad day, but that even happens now. I mean, usually they won't pull you over for five over unless the cop's in a bad mood and just feels like handing out tickets.

Okay, I'm done venting. Feel free to throw rocks at me or something.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
A subjective limit sounds great, but that's not how the system is now. Change the system if you can, but in the meantime you've got to accept the ramifications of going outside the current one.

No one's happy when they get a fine, but it's pointless bitching about it, unless that bitching is directed within for speeding in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, if no one bitches, then nothing will ever change. Besides, I'm mostly bitching about the ludicrous price tag attached to the ticket, not the ticket itself, though I did cover what's wrong with that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cookee I'm not saying that fine's are without warrant, (well in most cases) Im just saying that $1300+ is a rediculous amount of money for a speeding violation. Sure, drunk driving, hell, $13,000 = justified. But just 20 over the limit? (im sure anything beyond that is considered wrecklass and is a completely different topic)

If your doing 50 over, your retarded. But if I was just cruising a long by myself on a lonesome road and saw the blue lights because I was a little over the speed limit, and I knew the rediculous violation fee's, I wouldn't let that cop come near me.

Call it irresponsible, call it childish...the same goes for this new judgement in the traffic laws effecting Virginians.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Supernova46 said:
Safe speed is always relative to each and every situation. That is why speed limits are stupid. Safe varies from place to place along roads and from motorcycle to motorcycle to vehicle to vehicle. Now, I'm not saying the alternative is much better (no speed limits). But, they should be more lenient about giving out tickets and fines and actually consider the situation, ie the time, the place, the quality of the transportation used, etc. Yes, that would be more subjective, so you might get a pissy cop who is just having a bad day, but that even happens now. I mean, usually they won't pull you over for five over unless the cop's in a bad mood and just feels like handing out tickets.

Okay, I'm done venting. Feel free to throw rocks at me or something.
in california there is asctually something called the Basic Speed Law. it basically says what your saying. you can justify speeding and get out of tickets if the weather conditions, traffic, road, and such are all in good condition. like a nice sunny day, on a road with no traffic. you can actually go faster than the posted speed limit legally. when i took my traffic class the instructor told us about it and showed us a letter that a friend had drawn up and sent to the courts. he got out of the ticket. I'm not sure if other states have such a law but its worth looking into. then again it works both ways so if your speeding in shitty conditions you wont get away with it.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
in california there is asctually something called the Basic Speed Law. it basically says what your saying. you can justify speeding and get out of tickets if the weather conditions, traffic, road, and such are all in good condition. like a nice sunny day, on a road with no traffic. you can actually go faster than the posted speed limit legally. when i took my traffic class the instructor told us about it and showed us a letter that a friend had drawn up and sent to the courts. he got out of the ticket. I'm not sure if other states have such a law but its worth looking into. then again it works both ways so if your speeding in shitty conditions you wont get away with it.
Around here the charge is "too fast for conditions" when the weather is bad. So actually you can be ticketed for going the speed limit if the conditions are really bad, at least theoretically.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
The "Basic Speed Law" is a little more complicated than that - most streets and highways have a "Prima Facia" speed limit, which is not absolute. The established safe speed has been determined by a traffic engineer in some report filed in the County of jurisdiction, and it's always higher than the posted limit. Prima Facia limits can work both for, and against you, depending on weather and traffic conditions.

Most freeways and some highways have maximum speed limits, however, which are absolute. As a result, if you exceed a posted maximum speed, you not only get cited for exceeding a maximum posted speed, but depending on weather and traffic conditions, you could also violate the Basic Speed Law as well (double whammy.)

Many U.S. States follow the California Vehicle Code, Btw.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Mister Tee said:
Many U.S. States follow the California Vehicle Code, Btw.
:confused: Can you be a bit more descriptive here? For instance, outside CA I know of no state that lacks a lane splitting prohibition.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Supernova and Oreo - Essentially, guys, they don't want you to speed. To try to influence your choice of speed, they've attached a massive price tag.

Does the punishment fit the crime? Probably not, but since education and asking nicely have both failed, they are attempting to slow speeders down in the only language some people understand; $$$.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Supernova46 said:
Oh, so you agree with Englands legislators who want to limit the top speed of motorcycles. I understand.
Mate, please don't put words into my mouth. At no stage did I say anything of the sort.

My argument remains that the cost of the ticket is irrelevant. If you choose to speed, you choose to accept the responsibility of your actions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I know, but I felt like being an ass. I really just don't like when the government trys to protect us from ourselves. Like seatbelts or helmets, I think it should be a persons choice to be idiotic if they want to go without, I say let them do what they want and let the problem solve itself. Besides, we have a shortage of predators and eventually we'll reach the limit of what the world can supply and run out of food, supplies, etc., for there will be too many of us. Not that that's on topic or anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts