Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that most sportsbikes should be ridden on the track (and will therefore end up in the gravel at some point) there must me some concern that the current obsession with weight reduction compromises crash resistance - my 929 'blade has been dumped twice on the track and came of reasonably well both times. I am not sure that this level of durability is found on other makes and models??

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
are you referring to broken r6/r1 frames or the gsxr trans and valves?

i really wish they add a few pounds and several thousand miles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny you should mention it but a friend's gixxer '01 750 gearbox went on the same track day - and the bike only had done 5,000 miles!

...not heard that R1/6 frames bend easily though - will bear that in mind.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I've heard from a couple racers that the new gen. gixxers have much flimsier frame than the SRADS do..and we won't even talk about CCT's.....:rolleyes: I've crashed my 99 750 5 times, 3 lowsides, 2 highsides..and the frame/sub frame held up good..too bad plastic's aren't as strong...:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what i heard - they even look flimsier. Was thinking of trading down to a 600 - anyone recommend a good track bike that will survive the odd spill?

Hammer - forgive my ignorance but what the f*ck are CCTs?:confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, the 'Blade 919 seemed tough enough. Witnessed one low-siding into the gravel trap on, but still looked remarkably in 1 piece.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Honda has always been willing to go just a couple pounds over on weight to have bulletproof components. The additional fraction of a second you save for those extra pounds only applies if you're racing, at which time you've already done forged magnesium wheels, carbon/kevlar bodywork, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't agree more Todd - as you say if you are racing you will find ways to save the weight (and so probably will the rider), however if the bike is fundamentally not able to withstand a routine spill (frame damage etc) then it could be an expensive (or short season). I am a great fan of lightweight sportsbikes but don't see why durability should necessarily suffer given the technological advances that have been made to materials in recent years. I am sure different manufacturers take different viewpoints on this - they are all businesses at the end of the day and if a bike looks good, sells well then needs a severe rebuild the moment it kisses the tarmac that has to be good for top line revenues. I suppose it boils down to whether a manufacturer builds a bike with the rider or its shareholders in mind - reassuring what you say about Honda given it is such a large corporation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd always knew Honda models of the later genre were kinda tough. I had spills from the NC35 to the 98 Blade. Damages were rather minimal as compared to the rest of the makes. Don't know about the newer models, though...Y2K and beyond. I once completely totalled a 2-month old Y2K Blackbird cos of a cracked frame when I sorta like bumped off a tyre wall.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
cct=cam chain tensioner, a common gsxr and mw honda problem.

as for the r6/r1 frames, they don't bend. they tend to break in accidents where the bike doesn't look that bad. they break near the shock. a guy i used to know highsided his r1. the bike looked fine. i share a garage with a friend and i asked why this person's bike was there. he said it was wrecked. i looked at the other side minor rash, bent clip-on, minor stuff. i asked why he didn't ride it back (this person lives in the city). my friend pointed out the 2x4 that was keeping the tail off the tire. it's really weird, i've seen a few r6's break in the same spot.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it the r1/6 subframe that breaks? On the r6 i imagine that this is not a major issue as it is detachable - on the early r1's it is probably more terminal. why the early r1s had welded subframes i have no idea.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
nope, it's the frame proper. i've seen several that didn't look that bad, but broke the frame.

as far as the welded subframes, i have no idea why any manfucturer would do that. the old gsxr's has detactable, the new ones don't. like sam fleming said, i'd pay the $20 extra that it'd cost to give me a race-able subframe.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
must be a design floor - perhaps i will buy a zx6 or cbr 6 seems they are the safe 600 bet from that perspective.......i can certainly vouch that my 929 takes a good beating......

.......i could always try to stop crashing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
jules the blade said:
must be a design floor - perhaps i will buy a zx6 or cbr 6 seems they are the safe 600 bet from that perspective.......i can certainly vouch that my 929 takes a good beating......

.......i could always try to stop crashing.

Whats 'a design floor'?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts