Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be going to my first trackday in two days, its the buell inside pass trackday @ eagles canyon raceway... there will be all the 09 buell bikes to test ride, as well i am also bringing my bike along for the ride... im renting a uhaul trailer and hauling my bike with the minivan, so I can have a nice air conditioned ride home

My race suit that I am borrowing from a friend doesnt have any pockets, so where do I put all my stuff??? like wallet, car keys, bike keys, disk brake lock key, cable snake key... I surely cannot throw them all in the van and lock myself out, and I sure dont want to have them hanging there for the taking... kuz i will be riding my bike as well as their bikes, so when as Im riding theirs, im not riding mine, so where do I put the keys???

"Where are the 'keys'? I'm asking myself... Where else? UP HIS NOSE!!" :D

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
keep the car locked up and put the key on top of a tire. ive been to about 15-20 trackdays and have never worried about anything. wallet in car, all doors locked but 1. keys tossed in the center console. but i usually pit with my track buddies so i have no fear. but becarefull, theres always ass-hats everywhere.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hidakey

Put a key in one of those hidakey things, or I have even seen people put a key to their car in the exhaust pipe (once it cools), I have seen people tape one to the inside of their boot.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've done a few track days by myself. I never lock anything when I'm out for a session, and I've never had anything taken from me. Everybody there is pretty much looking out for everybody else. You'll have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
really??? no lockers, I was looking for that atleast... and now I have become well prepared: im bringing a canopy for the shade, a table, rear bike stand, foldable chairs, garage tools, and saftey locks

Everybody there is pretty much looking out for everybody else. You'll have nothing to worry about.
well you're right there, but you can never be to careful...

·
Registered
338 Posts
You guys are more trusting than I, I always keep my wallet and keys on me and couldn't see myself without em. No pockets eh, when there's a will there's a way--a simple thought: fanny pack :rolleyes:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha picture this, yea... there I am in my full on leathers with a bright pink fanny pack, labeled on it, "I put it in my fanny" :laughing: sometimes I just crack myself up

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh quick question here, what do-you/should-I wear underneath the racing leathers?
im planning on wearing some gym shorts and a muscle shirt....

·
Registered
423 Posts
oh quick question here, what do-you/should-I wear underneath the racing leathers?
im planning on wearing some gym shorts and a muscle shirt....
I wear under armor, it makes taking the leathers on and off much, much easier. But for your first day you'll be OK with gym short and a muscle shirt. Just make sure they aren't super baggy basketball shorts, that'll be pretty uncomfortable since leathers are pretty tight in the crotchal region.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I'm on board with ryan in both his responses. I've been to three events and didn't lock anything up. Heck, even my radar decector was out in the open. No issues. But two events required memberships so its kinda a club mentality, I think, and the third was a really pricey event not likely to draw thieves :dunno:

I wear UnderArmor for heat reasons though if I were going out next month, for warmth reasons. I use "bicycle shorts" which are basically spandex shorts, but again in October I'd go with running tights (full length spandex pants). I also bring extra socks to change them out after my feet have sweat a while.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Make friends with someone there, and combine camps (this should be easy). This way, you got someone to talk to during breaks, and they watch your stuff while you are out.

Not that its necessary. Everyone there loves bikes, and hates thieves. One would like get lynched there for stealing.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If you are really worried about it you could just take the single car key and put it in the top of your boot under your sock.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was over-prepared by a long shot, everything went by fine, no worries.

had all my tools, all my locks... and i figured out a good system of saftey locking.... i had two separate key chains: one with the keys to my bike, keys to two of the three locks, and the car key... and the second key chain with another key to the car, key to the house, motel room, and the last lock of the three.... key chain(2) locked up the trailer to the van by a snake then placed in the glove compartment with wallet and stuff. and i brought some small gym shorts with some pockets and packed the key chain(1) in there... just though i might share that.... oh yes and another thing....

... about the track day, I had a phukin' blastie blast!!! I rode my bike for the first two sessions, then demo-ed an 08 XB12R (my bike just newer)... that XB was really nice: the clutch play was much smoother than mine, my bike has a very manly clutch pull, and this one was very finessed, and also the exhaust had a better roar too it, it howled & grunted really nicely... And since this was my first track day, I was in the novice group... yay right, well the first session was very introductary very very slow, so that you can learn the lines from the instructors ahead of you (there were 3 perple/ instructor, total 5 instructors)... well the first session was boring for the most part but it did pick up pase near the end, still intro-ish... so then the intermediate and advanced groups go lalala.....

the second session, still pretty intro-ish but it picked up quick because of me, but one person layed it down in turn-7 ahead of me goin like 25mph, (I think it was a demo bike too; ouch, pay for the damage!!!) Well that went ok and fun, but I was pushy because we were going too slow, so I snaked my way up the chain of riders to the lead guy (still several other leaders behind me) and i gave him a hey can we go faster gesture, and it got GOing steadly, we steadly took away from the pack after every corner, and after every corner the instructor would look back to see if i was still alive, to be surprized i was keeping up... somehow we end up lapping the group two times... i was barely able to scrape my knees in that 2nd session but was advancing well, i had a hard time putting the knee out; usually, I scoot my butt but tuck in my knee, so the knee sticking out was tough ... I returned the bike and talked to the buell people on setting up the next session with the XB12R, and the two sesions after that with the 1125R, took a while becaue there was a line... and you can only make one reservation per 'visit' blah blah blah, done .... was sweating bullets very hot and forgot my gallon of water at the motel... so i drove ass fast to the motel and got it.... a 45 minute round trip, in 25minutes

I drank like half of the water and had some lunch that was provided by buell: some fish, fried shrimp, and fries... and i brought a dozzen krispy kremes doughnuts for dessert that was bought from home, mmm:eyebrows:

third session I drove their XB12R, and still I was kicking ass in the beginner group, was albe to fully scrape my knees, the right side was easier to me than the left... I was able to scrape really well in turns 3 6 9 10 11... and I was kickin ass and passing the riders with the instructor ahead of me (who was still looking back to see if i was alive). I ended up passing the instructor because he was holding me back on the straights, bad move, I didnt know I wasnt able to pass my instructor, so I got a verbal warning after the session...:rolleyes:

fourth run with the 1125R... I was reserved for about 3 laps to get a feel for the bike, I had to adjust for the new shifter & rear brake placement, adjust for the new front brake, and the liquid smooth hydrolic clutch, felt a little funny shifting... I ended up being in 2nd & 3rd gear for the run... still kicking ass, and since the 1125 was more powerful I was GOing places. Pretty much in every corner (except turns 1 4 7 and the first turn in turn 9) i was able to fully scrape the knee. Turn 10 was the best of all, I made it fully around the turn on a knee, sweet!!! hope the buell camera guy got some good shots!!! I had some minor mishaps of turning too hard and almost getting on the curb red&white things, and turn 5 had this mean ledge where the front end would get loose, something wrong with the pavenment, if you go there watch out on that turn. This new instructor kept up this time :cool: with his gixxer. When the session ended the big head hancho was waiting for me, I thought it was some bad news again, but it was good news... He said I was going too fast for the novice class and ended up bumping me up to the intermediate class, it was either slow down or bump up levels, yea baby moving on up :cheers:!!!

fifth run, it was a different 1125R i rode on, the last one was red and this one was black, I adjusted the levers and such... OMFG no joke here, I was still kicking ass in this group, no joke, fun as heck, I ended up passing the instructor because he was holding me back, BUT I ALSO thought he also was letting me go past him and go, wrong. well I lapped several time and lapped the group too, it was insane how well i was doing, I still has my weaknesses and strong points in the turns i pointed out... well the session is over, and Mr head hancho was pissed and waiting.... well after a brief babble and exchange of words, he said I was DONE and cannot race the last race that was coming up, WHAT:moon:!!! it bothered me at first, i was pissed and wanted to give him a knee in the face, but soon I chilled out and had a donut... mmm they solve everything.... soooooo gooooood:love: I go back and try to talk to him, still he said i was too much of a danger, so i told him "Go eat a bag of dicks, ya fagget.:moon:" and walked off and ate another donut and smoked a cig... I wasnt pissed at all, because the last race of the day, you have to race your bike, and I didnt want to ride mine, so rocked out to my music and packed up camp, then went through the check list, and drove off

I had a blastie blast :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pucks and picks

Attachments

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Glad you had a good time. Ahhhh, track days :burnout:

As a word of advice, you ought to abide the rules of any track organization. Otherwise you may find yourself banned from all the tracks in your area, effectively. The rules are there for a reason and if you have an issue with one, take your well-considered and logical argument to the event director. For instance, if you had said after session one that it was waaaay too slow for you and you wanted to move up to the director, they probably would've tasked a rider coach to verify you were ready for Intermediate or whatever.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm gong to be brutally honest here. Right now, based solely on your posts, you are the kind of person I wouldn't want to be on the track with. The reason the CR's are out there is for your safety, and there was prob. a very good reason they were in front of you "slowing you down". Going fast is one thing, being in complete control of yourself and your motorcycle while going fast is another. It sounds like you were out there trying to win something by passing every rider in front of you.

I've seen plenty of guys hurt themselves pretty bad and waste a ton of money because all they wanted to do was pass everybody in the group while never really learning all the intricacies that it takes to go fast safely. One guy I know who was one of the fastest guys out there on his first track day has failed to finish 3 of his 6 track days. Control Riders have begged him to slow down and really learn how to control his bike but he just wouldn't listen. Now he has a wadded up bike just sitting in his garage and his track season was done a long time ago.

You sound like you have plenty of talent to be very a fast rider. If you listen to the CR's and play by the rules you'll become much faster and much safer than if you continue to go out there and do it your way.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did pretty well to abide to the rules: I mostly passed in the straights, and If I needed to pass in a curve I went very wide with a 6 foot cushion between us, the main difference between my skills and their skills, was braking, I know how well my brakes work: I brag saying, "if you dont know how to stoppie, you dont know the power of your brakes."
And I forgot to say this, there are two sets of rules... when you are riding your bike and not theirs, you can pass all you want, that's why the first two sessions went so well... BUT when you ride their bikes for a demo you have to follow a instructor at all times, which I soon forgot very quickly :dunno:

When I was kicked out for the last race session, I didnt really care too much, sure there was a argument and such, but it was really fine by me, because the last race session, I-would/everyone-else has to ride their bike, because its when 'most crashes happen', and I didnt want to join that statistic anyways :p

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
dont feel like making a new thread of my awesome shots... :loser
but here are some of 'em . . . ;)

two shots, showing a passing of an instructor :moon:

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20