Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know i've seen it, but I don't know what it is. I've seen the same bike at a Honda dealership, as well as a local place that sells vitually every make/type of bike around. It's a small sportbike set up for track use only (no lights, speedometer, mirrors, etc). Both ones I've seen have white plastics and are bare-bones. Anyways, I was just wondering what they are and if one would be usefull as a first track bike. The reason I ask is that I have some extra $$$ and after I buy some new gear I'm going to be on the market for a track bike. I would like something that is not pristine so that if i mess up, I won't be devistated. My Gixxer would be awesome at the track I'm sure, but I would hate for her to go down. I was thinking a mid-'90's CBR cause I've ridden plenty of them and they are just so comfortable to me. But what about these "track only" bikes? Any info?

Thanks,
-Snake

·
Registered
1,820 Posts

Are you referring to NSR50R? Honda is coming out with 100CC version soon. It's probably blast on the track, easier to knee drag and learn the track, but at $3K, there are 600s that can be turned into track bike cheaper. Still, a preowned NSR would be nice, but they lack the low end power since it's 2 strokes.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be the one. Any idea what kind of speed they carry? Would I get blown away by everyone on the track? I understand they are a bit pricey, but I would be willing to spend some extra $$$ if it's going to be more beneficial in helping me get the feel of the track.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After checking around, thanks to your help, I found some info in the NSF100. Looks like they would be fun, but even so, I am not the kind that likes to continually be in people's way.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
shit, you got 2 of the 3 bikes I have. Do what I'm doing. Go buy yourself a wrecked bike, cheap, but in working condition, fix it up, and race it. My 05 gixxer that I have is going to be my dedicated race bike now.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Also if 600s are a little too much, the newer ones can be with all the headshakes and top end, take a look at the older ones, like your F2. Or go with a sv650, lot of torque and power and handles like scooter.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i saw online one day where a guy had an older SV650 and had taken gsxr suspension parts (front end, and rear shock), and other parts from this wrecked gixxer and made himself a great track bike (or so he said)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Why?? I would've gone with Gixxer suspensions, or the aftermarket. Older CBR suspensions tend to be on the soft side, in fact many will swap it for something else, although better than SV, still there are better upgrades on budget.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In youar worlds of "--track bike--" said track can be anything like Flat Track, TT, Moto Crossing, Road Racing, Cross Country, just to name a few. Said bikes are without mirrors, signal lights, horn, stop light or head lamp & totally illegal on the Government roads be they paved, dirt, gravel or such.

Like if the 100cc is the bike you take a liking to THEN you have to find out if said bike can be raced on the road racing circuit & often it is preserved to larger bikes or could by a "Track Day" open for 500 to 1000cc bikes with lights though some parts protected from said bolts comming loose.

So before you buy the bike make sure you will be able to race it & if you are qualified to race the bike. That is why some will become more serious & take lessons from some of the road racers for that info is also usefull for not only Track Days, but possibly entering as a Novice to actually helping you in normal street & hwy riding.

It is sort of like you have seen some IPSC h/gun shooting & want a "race-gun" (being one fully modified for such comp shooting) only find out said tournaments are not held in your State & it is two States over only for the best of said IPSC shooters. So all you can do then it use it on your own & no competition.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I already have a bike for the streets. I just want something else so I can start doing track days. Doubt I'll ever really get into racing but you never know. I am in West-Central Ohio, so my track options are limited. I know Mid-Ohio has some track days and there's a couple in Indiana. Don't want to drive too far just yet.

I am leaning more towards a Mid-90's CBR600 since it is the kind of bike I learned on and I feel surprisingly comfortable on them. I am quite comfortable on my Gixxer too, but I don't want to take the chance of messing up and wrecking it as stated earlier. Basically I am looking for a bike that I can take to track days so I can have a good time and get my fix away from public roads.

Side note: Local Honda shop can't get any 50's or 100's, one more place to check then I'll be on the market for a CBR.

-Snake

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
Why?? I would've gone with Gixxer suspensions, or the aftermarket. Older CBR suspensions tend to be on the soft side, in fact many will swap it for something else, although better than SV, still there are better upgrades on budget.
Funny story there. He flipped his sv after doing a sick stoppie and bends the front end up pretty good. One of his other "sketchy" friends gives him a semi-parted out F2 bike for free so he decided to use the F2 forks on the sv. Didn't cost him anything. We think the F2 is stolen as the vin was shaved off. We were going to use the engine to make a gocart, but was sad to find out that it blew a piston.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts