Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...

I'm a senior in high school and recently became interested in sport bikes. I guess it's all that racing on Speed TV ;). Anyway, I've never riden a cycle before and don't really know where to start.

I guess the best thing to do would be to get licensed and find a cheap bike to practice on?

This forum looks like a large community to go to for help, so that's a good thing. :cool:

What magazines/Websites would you recommend for me to check out?

Any and all help is appreciated! :D

·
Registered
866 Posts
buy a cheap bike, and get lots of gear, including helmet, jacket, and gloves. trust me you'll need them, everyone lays down there first bike, and it hurts, I know, my only mistake was not buying the gloves a day earlier, it may have saved me a broken wrist.

also don't go out and buy a large bike, the bigger the bike the heavier it is, get something like a ninja 250 or 500. and look into the motorcycle safety coarse to, it will help if you never rode before

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take the safety course (MSF or equivalent) first. They provide the (small) bike and you can see if you really like it in a supportive and safe environment. Plus when you pass the course, you are one step closer to gettng your license. It will also show your parents that you are being responsible about a bike. It may take a while (weeks or even months) to get into a class, but you'll know when it comes around if you're still interested.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Cannot be emphasized enough!!

TAKE THE COURSE!! Do NOT get caught up in the macho bullshit, that you already know how to ride. Riding a bike is nothing like steering a car! It is a learned skill, and on a sportbike it is a sharp learning curve. I hate to sound like a prick, but I just wached a 20 y/old on his new F4i panick in a turn and end up in a coma (he had all the gear on, luckily) for aweek. He is doing better and should make a full recovery- in about a year. Brain hemmoraging is a bitch, huh? Wanna go fast? After you get a little experience, go look into track schools.

·
Registered
200 Posts
TAKE THE COURSE!! Do NOT get caught up in the macho bullshit, that you already know how to ride. Riding a bike is nothing like steering a car! It is a learned skill, and on a sportbike it is a sharp learning curve.

Amen, fasthawk. I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
NA, JUST SKIP THE COURSE AND START RIDING THE HELL OUT OF IT......AND THEN SEE IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE COURSE OR NOT.
JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! TAKE THE MSF COURSE ITS THE BEST START, TAKE OUR ADVICE.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Before my first sportbike, I had only owned an old '82 Honda four-stroke dirtbike about 10 years ago.

I hindsight, I wish I would have taken the MSF course. Although I hopped on it and rode it home with no panic; so starting, stopping, shifting etc...was gravy.

I will probably take a MSF course when I get my next bike just for good measure. I'm SURE there are things that I don't know that I need to know.

And sportbikes ARE A HUGE LEARNING CURVE. Very unforgiving. They require you push all the right buttons; and know which buttons to push when and where.

Luckily, I took my time, and became (what I feel) a good, safe and proficient in my riding. Mainly due to picking everyone's brains on this site for advice, as well as talking to as many experienced riders as I could.

Go with the course first, or get the bike and run the risk of pulling a silly bonehead move in a parking lot that could have been avoided with some schoolin'.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like all other posters here, I cannot tell you how important it is to take the course. The confidence and skill you will gain will enhance your enjoyment of riding. Better yet, you get to make your mistakes with THEIR bikes! :D IT will save you the embarrassment and $$$ of using your own bike.

My biggest lesson in MSF was when I was pulling up on our parked riding group on a gravel shoulder. I pulled a handful of front brake and had the front end go out on me. Nothing worse than dumping a bike in front of all your waiting classmates!! :eek:

The instructors all had a laugh cuz they said they never seen anyone upright a downed bike as fast as I did....using proper technique ...of course :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago...I decided that I wanted a bike this year and I was gonna do anything to get it...unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a bike, and I didn't have the guts to just buy one and learn on that, so I took the course, and they gave me the license test as the last activity...turns out I passed, got a bike, and I feel so much more comfortable with the little things that they taught me...For only riding 2 months now, I'm not sure I would be in 4th gear yet had I tried to teach myself

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow guys, thanks for all of your advice and insight. I'll definetly take the course before I do anything else. :)

PS- My mom is still very opposed to the idea of me riding a motorcycle. She thinks if I do learn how to ride, my death is guaranteed. I'm trying to convice her otherwise (I'm pretty level-headed and responsible) but I don't know if it's going to do any good...:( :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
My mom too.

While I lived at home I coulden't get a motorcycle. Then it was a few years later after I moved out before I finally did get a bike. Just make sure she's not going to kick you out if you buy a bike. And definatly start out on something small. I second the choice for a ninja 250 or 500. Kinda wish I woulda started on a less powerful bike I know it's going to take me longer to learn how to ride this one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree with most here, the MSF course is the best place to start. They have them at local colleges. A buddy of mine just took one in Greenville and learned a lot. A used Honda 600F2 is a good bike to start out on. Any smaller and you will grow out of it soon. Lots of good used bikes in SC.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A used Honda 600F2 is a good bike to start out on. Any smaller and you will grow out of it soon. Lots of good used bikes in SC.

You are correct! I had an F2 for awhile back in the day...It became a racebike and it did very well for me. The F-2s and F-3s are very forgiving...much like the zx6's of today. They make great first bikes and even first race bikes! Enjoy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts